Author Topic: Elderly Couple at Home/Magnetic Firearm Holder  (Read 5587 times)

Grasshoppa

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Elderly Couple at Home/Magnetic Firearm Holder
« on: June 06, 2013, 12:28:58 AM »
As always, another great episode. I was curious if the magnetic holder would have any negative effect on different firearms? I was worried that if it was strong enough to hold a shotgun in place if it would mess with the firing pin and it's spring?
Also, dew rag was a nice touch Seeklander.

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: Elderly Couple at Home/Magnetic Firearm Holder
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 09:20:42 PM »
As always, another great episode. I was curious if the magnetic holder would have any negative effect on different firearms? I was worried that if it was strong enough to hold a shotgun in place if it would mess with the firing pin and it's spring?
Also, dew rag was a nice touch Seeklander.

Magnets don't necessarily magnetize magnetic material.  Even if they did, in this case what would be the downfall?  Magnetism doesn't affect the heat treat of the firing pin or the springs and there isn't a lot of ferrous material in shotshells or lead.  Don't overthink a simple idea/solution.

BTW I wouldn't try hanging my cell phone on a magnetic holster  ;D
He who dares wins.  SAS

Grasshoppa

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 01:08:35 AM »
Wasn't worried about magnetizing the metal, was more concerned that if it was that strong of a magnet if it could stretch the spring on the firing pin or possibly mess up it's alignment. Also my thoughts were towards a handgun... while I'm not sure if that would make a difference, I guess that's why I'm asking questions. I'm not going to get any accessory for my firearms without laying all my doubts to rest. Don't mean to sound snippy, but overthinking isn't necessarily a drawback when it comes to safety. Last thing I would want is my home defense weapon to go "click" when it was needed.

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 06:29:20 AM »
No problem, the two loudest noises a gun owner ever hears are a click when its suppose to go bang and a bang when its suppose to go click.

He who dares wins.  SAS

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk