Author Topic: Fun project: homemade ammo  (Read 3404 times)

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 576
Re: Fun project: homemade ammo
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2021, 07:38:42 PM »
Self Defense ammo is where I have a hole also.  I shoot it and swap it out once a year or so therefore I don't keep a lot of it.  However, when things started to go south I picked up a couple of hundred rounds of the Speer G2 Gold Dot for 9MM.  I have some Critical Defense for the 380's and some of that ARM stuff for the 45 but not much on the 45. 
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2021, 09:36:58 PM »
I always start and end a range trip with a magnof my carry ammo.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Dirty Bob

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Usual Suspect
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 55
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2021, 09:34:05 PM »
I'm well aware of the need to fill the case and have Cream-O-Wheat to top off light loads to keep a full case. The plan is to find an accurate charge for my 200-grain bullets.

I'm a Mike Venturino fan and read his book: Shooting Sixguns of the Old West. He emphasizes how the .45 Colt can sometimes be too much of a good thing! I plan to start in the 25- to 30-grain range for charges and fill the rest of the space with delicious Cream-O-Wheat for safety.

It should be fun!

By the way, I urge caution with those nail gun blanks. Those things are fairly "hot" and could boost pressures in a cartridge. There used to be a video on YouTube of some guys that tried them in a .22 rifle with airgun pellets as projectiles. I think the velocities were rather high, to say the least.

Stay safe, and keep your powder dry!
Dirty Bob
-------------
Maker, tinkerer, general nerd

"Can't stop the signal, Mal." - Serenity (2005)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk