Author Topic: PARA LDA trigger opinions?  (Read 4893 times)

medic1097

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
PARA LDA trigger opinions?
« on: October 31, 2007, 02:38:46 PM »
Well guys I read the articles and took a chance and bought a PARA LDA TAC-S, I am wondering what informed opinions I can get on the firearm.  I will save my thoughts for now.  I have spent 10 years in Law Enforcement (4 as a range instructor)  and 12 years in the military.  I never had the oportunity to handle and shoot many 1911's.  I feel a little nervous with cocked/locked inside my pants.  I love the 1911 platform and maybe this will suit all of my issues, thanks.  Shoot often, be safe.   Greg

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
Re: PARA LDA trigger opinions?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 04:28:00 PM »
I like mine a lot (I have 3, including one of the 18-shot 9mms, a small .45 and the new 9mm subcompact), but they do take some getting used to. I think that's because the let-off is farther forward on the trigger stroke than one might be used to with a DA semiauto or a DA revolver. I've found I can run an LDA faster than I can an SA, probably because I'm alwasy getting a "surprise break."

The only drawback to the system that I see is you MUST train your finger to go far enough forward to allow the sear to reset, whcih is sometimes a problem for 1911 shooters or any shooters used to "riding the trigger" back to reset. It's more of a "click-click" than one single "click." Interestingly enough, there seems (to me and many others) no problem in going backward from an LDA to an SA trigger system.

Michael B

PS: We've talked about LDAs on the podcast, and I think if you sift through the DRTV videos we have a couple of Para LDA videos where we talk about this stuff...enjoy your gun!

Michael Bane, Majordomo @ MichaelBane.TV

Marshal Halloway

• Forum Administrator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 28

Overload

• Lefty Expert
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 07:07:24 PM »
I use a P18/9 LDA Limited for USPSA/IPSC Production.  I don't have a problem with trigger reset as I do a trigger slap, pushing my finger forward nearly to the guard, then back onto the trigger.  At least that's what it feels like when I'm under the clock.  For short range (spray) shots I just slap the trigger.  For long shots I take up the slack, right up to the edge, aim, and carefully squeeze.
18 rounds in a magazine is heavy, but I don't have to worry about that in Production.  I have small hands, but find the grip small enough to grip and it has enough lines and ridges so it's not slippery.  The double stack mag creates a nice mag well for insertion.  Mags are expensive.
Overload in CO
We have seen the future: and it's expensive. -Michael Bane
Home of the Tickle Me Pamela Anderson. -Michael Bane
Weasels are the switchblade-carrying psychos of the animal world, the meanest creatures on the planet by aggression-level-to-body-weight ratio. -Marko Kloos

Overload in Colorado

kilopaparomeo

• Top Forum Member
  • My own private purgatory...
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 08:27:50 PM »
I sometimes run a 14.45 LDA in a 3-gun event I shoot.  I don't find that it slows me down one bit as compared to a SA.  Then again, I'm not a top competitive shooter so running that trigger is the least of my problems.
NRA Endowment Life Member
SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
Ultima Ratio Civis - "The last method of a citizen"

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:40:07 PM »

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 09:16:26 PM »
I have 4 LDA'S, a C6, C7, P14, and a P18, I read that Todd Jarrett took his apart and just polished everything and came up with some excellent trigger pulls, So I've done that with all mine, good improvement, but my C7 came out unbelievable. about a 1 lb take up, with a 1.5lb let off, still reverse engineering to find out what I did right. Todd Jarrett made mention of doing the trigger slap since he had gone to the LDA, I think his reasoning is sound, when you go from a SA trigger to a Glock trigger, to an AR15 trigger to an LDA trigger, to get consistent results, you need to come completely off the trigger and back on, that covers everything including DA revolvers. In 1985 our club hosted the uspsa nationals, and I got to videotape the shoot off, Bill Wilson was shooting a pivoting trigger 1911, and as I reviewed my tapes, I watched trigger control between the masters of that time, Bill was coming off the trigger and then pushing straight back into the hand each shot, it was a really good educational experience. I do not recall how He came out, definitely in the money, if your in the shoot off, you earned your place to be there.

I recommend if your shooting the LDA, practice pulling the trigger straight through, with no hesitation, no stacking, and see if the front sight moves, if it does not, use that for short to medium range, and then for longer ranges, pull through the first stage and press off the last bit for better accuracy, if the front sight does move, then use the take up and press off for all shots, except for 10 yards and under.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

hawkeye1

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 09:06:26 AM »
I have one in a P16/40.  Love it.  I also have 2 other Paras.  I love them.  The other two are 45 acp.  The LDA is a little different, but feels and shoots great.  Shoot and enjoy.

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 10:04:23 PM »
M25...excellent points.

I got really interested a whole back in the whole "trigger slap" thing. I had always ridden the trigger until a week at the Rogers Shooting School, where I positively totally guarantee you Bill Rogers will break you of riding the trigger. He makes the same point you do...a controlled "trigger slap" is transferable to any weapon. I have to confess I went back to riding the trigger because I'm used to it and I started shooting 1911s a bunch again...

Michael B
Michael Bane, Majordomo @ MichaelBane.TV

gunman1911

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger Emeritus
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2007, 05:34:54 PM »
I agree with Mr. Bane. I was looking at 1911's awhile ago and was trying to figure out which one I wanted . When I was looking at the Para LDA I was very impressed with the trigger pull and reset, but I did not buy it. Why? I have a lot of expensive single stack magazines for 1911's and do not have the funds for replacements, so I bought a Kimber and yes I am happy with the Kimber but now I am saving my pennies(literally) for the Para LDA for a carry gun. ;D
Back up guns---Better to have and not need than to need and not have!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk