Author Topic: Down Range Radio #102  (Read 15293 times)

tombogan03884

Re: Down Range Radio #102
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 10:49:57 PM »
MB, You have often mentioned your cave diving, , have you ever done any under Ice diving or 'Mixed gas" DEEP dives ? those are a couple more perfect or dead hobbies.

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 11:10:00 PM »
I prepped for a couple of ice dives on the edge of the Arctic Circle, but the trip fell through at the last minute. I've done some deep stuff on trimix, including the USS Wilkes-Barre off Key West. I liked talking in that weird high voice from the helium. After coming back from a trip where we'd done long hangs breathing a weird assortment of nitrox on the decompression stops, my doctor told me that as one of the short list of people who'd been up to 20,000 feet and down to 300 feet, I was part of a "fascinating experiment" to see whether my body was going to self-destruct at some point. Am still ticking...

mb
Michael Bane, Majordomo @ MichaelBane.TV

philw

• Top Forum Member
  • Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi
    • Australian Hunting Net
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009, 01:30:57 AM »
I prepped for a couple of ice dives on the edge of the Arctic Circle, but the trip fell through at the last minute. I've done some deep stuff on trimix, including the USS Wilkes-Barre off Key West. I liked talking in that weird high voice from the helium. After coming back from a trip where we'd done long hangs breathing a weird assortment of nitrox on the decompression stops, my doctor told me that as one of the short list of people who'd been up to 20,000 feet and down to 300 feet, I was part of a "fascinating experiment" to see whether my body was going to self-destruct at some point. Am still ticking...

mb

Mate if you still want to experiment with your body

you should come over to Australia  and check out some caves we have over here   ;)

in the Nullabor ( Between Adelaide and Perth )  there is Murra El Elevyn 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz9rE5orzoc

then here in South Australia we have an amasing cave systems

check out Piccaninnie Ponds 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AJulJ2kRFE   and the Shaft
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwFP98BFiIA&feature=related
Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. The only thing you can’t do is ignore them

metamurph

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2009, 02:35:11 AM »
You've ventured onto a piece of ground that we need to tiptoe around...the overwhelming problem here is that the need for training often gets shunted aside in the face of more immediate needs.

Every time I've advised a person or persons who wanted to get a firearm for protection, I've pushed hard on three points 1) how much are you willing to shoot. 2) how much are you willing to train and 3) what are your personal limits when it comes to defending yourself.

And, heck, I haven't even touched on "stress innoculation!"

I realize this is equivocal, but I hope it helps!

Michael B
I know it is delicate turf. "media relations" is a challenging job.  Kind of like my peeve with all the idiots on youtube posting videos of their wives shooting the .44 magnum or gun manufacturers that have the eye candy shots with fingers in the trigger guard.

I think there are lots of delicate issues as we look at this and I do appreciate your emphasis on training as well as that of the Pro Arms crew and the Shoot/No Shoot scenarios of Kenn Blanchard.  When I see/hear the I have $X to spend my question is, depending on how they are planning to use the firearm, does that include the budget to put enough rounds through to become operationally capable?  Does it include training? 

At least all those times you have died it is in simulation and it will help you better avoid it in the real thing.

Stress training, the guys from the Gun Fighter Podcast talk all the time about ways to get the cocktail running through you and in their videos and podcast on training exercises they don't go to the extreme you did but they do run from their car to the firing line.

Thanks for all the great shows and keeping our minds active

tom

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2009, 05:50:52 AM »
I know it is delicate turf. "media relations" is a challenging job.  Kind of like my peeve with all the idiots on youtube posting videos of their wives shooting the .44 magnum or gun manufacturers that have the eye candy shots with fingers in the trigger guard.

I think there are lots of delicate issues as we look at this and I do appreciate your emphasis on training as well as that of the Pro Arms crew and the Shoot/No Shoot scenarios of Kenn Blanchard.  When I see/hear the I have $X to spend my question is, depending on how they are planning to use the firearm, does that include the budget to put enough rounds through to become operationally capable?  Does it include training? 

At least all those times you have died it is in simulation and it will help you better avoid it in the real thing.

Stress training, the guys from the Gun Fighter Podcast talk all the time about ways to get the cocktail running through you and in their videos and podcast on training exercises they don't go to the extreme you did but they do run from their car to the firing line.

Thanks for all the great shows and keeping our minds active

tom

Wednesday night, as a part of our local Citizen Academy, I had a chance to shoot at the regional indoor police range with the County Sheriff. There was a complete lack of safety teaching. Start with OK ear muffs, NO eye protection. The Training Officer handed out the revolvers (S&W Mod 60 & 661) muzzle down and cylinders open, and immediately people were handling them, swinging the muzzles across the rest of us. No discussion of muzzle control - although it was on the wall poster behind us. There were instructions to keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot. I will note the lack of safety instruction on the evaluation form.

The TO also made the comment earlier in the classroom that he had not brought a gun into the classroom, but they didn't belong there. What? No bright red training models he could use? That too will be noted.

On the other hand, there were 3-4 people who had never shot before, and who had a ball. One college student, originally from Poland, was grinning when I asked her if she was having fun. Her response - This is really fun! So that was a good thing.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 06:14:14 PM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2009, 09:06:24 AM »

mb

I understand that if you dive and fly on the same day you should fly first as it can affect your nitrogen levels (bends)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk