Author Topic: Colt 45 load  (Read 13354 times)

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Colt 45 load
« on: September 23, 2010, 08:39:13 PM »
As many of ya know I have a Redhawk .45 and a Puma (92 lever) in 454 / 45.

Here is the set up.  I have a guy that reloads for me and will reload what I specify (as long as it is in a book).  Currently I have him reload with 19.5 grains of H110 and a 250 grain bullet.  That gives me around 1100 out of the Redhawk and 1500 out of the Puma.

BUT it seems pretty 'dirty' to me when I shoot.  I ASSUME this is due to the powder.

Bottom line....

Looking for a 45 Colt load that is a pig KILLER that burns cleaner and with a bullet weight of 250 to 300 grains.

NEXT question is bullet make up.  IF I use lead bullets does Hoppes and a bore brush do the job for keeping it clean?

I ask because I am thinking a Keith style semi wad cutter would be a great round.

Input please.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: Colt 45 load
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 08:45:08 PM »
Hornaday xtp, 300, may not work in the lever action but what a bullet, if the 300 is to long for the puma, then the .260 grain speer, most of the lead bullets at that weight are longer and will not work in lever actions. If it does then your lucky and go for it. I have found the real heavy bullets to be tack drivers and of course hit very hard.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 08:47:23 PM »
Haz, here's a site that lists a bunch of +P loads for the .45 Colt, from 155 up to 300+ grain bullets

http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp?Caliber=45%20Colt%20+P&Weight=All&type=Handgun&Order=Powder&Source=
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

kilopaparomeo

• Top Forum Member
  • My own private purgatory...
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 08:47:52 PM »
I don't know if it is any cleaner, but I shoot 19 gr of 2400 with a 250 gr Speer JHP.  About the same velocity and it put down a 210 lb hog lickety split out of my Blackhawk.  That load used to be closer to 21 gr in the 1980's but Speer has changed their reloading manual.  Feeds fine in my Puma Win92

At those velocities, you may get a fair amount of leading...I don't know for sure, but you may need to try a bullet with a gas check.
NRA Endowment Life Member
SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
Ultima Ratio Civis - "The last method of a citizen"

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 08:48:51 PM »
M25, what about powder and how much?  Looking for less 'smoke'.

BTW, so far I have had no problems with cycling. Maybe cause it's really a .454.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:38:24 AM »

tommy tornado

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 09:10:11 PM »
I also use 2400 but would think that H-110 would burn cleaner.  Have you tried H-4227?

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 10:20:33 PM »
No I have not and I am asking y'all cause I don't know crap about the actual properties of the powders.  Just the loads and such from the reload manuals I have.

As I stated I am looking for a clean burning 1200 fps (handgun) and a good stopping bullet.

THANKS!

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 10:36:03 PM »
I have heard that Titegroup is fairly clean burning, and the using gas-checks on hard cast lead bullets will prevent leading.

Friend sent me this when I asked hi about it a while back. I have a pound of it but have not tried it yet.

http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/powder-keg/39106-titegroup-powder.html

http://www.hodgdon.com/shotpist.html
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 03:43:27 AM »
Haz, I would go with a jacketed bullet load because part of the smoke you are getting is from the lead bullet.

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 06:14:23 AM »
Is the chamber in the rifle long enough for a ruger only load?

Just for the nut swingers, the ruger only loads are do to rugers having a longer cylinder that can take a longer OAL.  It has nothing to do with strength.

Since the 454 has a greater OAL, it might work.  you do need to check before you order a bunch made up.

The ruger only loads will let you run up to 360 grainers.

Lots of guys also use lit'gun for powder.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk