Author Topic: Remington 1100 or 1187?  (Read 6218 times)

texcaliber

• Top Forum Member
  • "My best friends are Smith & Wesson"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Remington 1100 or 1187?
« on: July 14, 2007, 01:52:33 PM »
I am wondering what, if any reason, one would be better than the other. I am very new to shotguns for tactical purpose. But it seems to be a 50-50% thing among my peers. Without any real reason to why 1100 over the 1187 other than "thats what i got" for an awnser. I know the 1100 is hot right now in 3gun but other than that I have no reason to pick one over the other.
 ???
Tex
"All I need in life is Love and a .45!"

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: Remington 1100 or 1187?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 05:45:25 PM »
Hi, Tex

I  own both, my 1100 is 20 + yrs old and runs like a champ, my 1187 is about 10 yrs old and the same. The main difference between the 2 is the 1187 has 4 gas ports and the 1100 has 2, also the 1187 has a stainless steel magazine tube which is part of the gas system.  I have not seen the new 1100 apart, but suspect they have stainless steel magazines. The blue magazine tubes have a tendency to rust which makes it hard on the rubber seals and gas rings. If the gas ports are kept clean and the magazine tube kept clean and lubed, they are very reliable and softer shooting than a benelli. Also accessories are common between the two. Both have good triggers that can be improved easily.  I set my 1100 up for 3 gun, and until I went to ghost ring sights was a winner. Once I went to ghost rings ( scattergun technologies and mmc) my times slowed quite a bit. I thought I needed more practice but it did'nt help much. I took my stock 1187, with trigger job, and speed feed and competed with it and my times went back down to what I normally expect. My normal accessories are, choate oversized cocking handle, vang oversized safety, choate magazine ( 10 round ) , speed feed loading gate, scattergun or wilson cartridge follower, trigger job ( 2 lbs), fiber optic front bead, good recoi pad, (sims laboratory is great),  side saddle 6rd, for home use a surefire forend, and butt cuff shell holder. Sling optional.

I believe the 1187 4 port gas system was to allow use of low and high power cartridges without changing anything, I guess in the end it was not that much of an improvement.

NOTE: gas ports are the most common reason for failure to eject, and can lead to the extractor ripping part of the rim of the cartridge off. To clean properly, buy some pipe cleaners, available at tobacco shops or from brownells.com. soak in adequate solvent and really clean the ports after every 200 rounds. This also applies to the remington gas rifles.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

BigSaucy

• Active Forum Member
    • YouTube
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 06:13:20 PM »
I believe another difference is that the 1100 shoots 2 3/4" shells maximum while the 1187 will shoot 3".  I have an 1100 and it has been solid for as long as I've owned it. This may or may not still be true.

texcaliber

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 06:17:50 PM »
thanks atleast that awnsers a couple questions. but.......... what the heck is this:
for home use a surefire forend, and butt cuff shell holder.
and who thought up that name?   :D

Tex

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007, 06:43:55 PM »
Sorry Tex, sometimes we take too much for granted. A surefire forend is a aftermarket forend with a surefire brand high intensity flashlight built in with a switch that is both pressure sensitive momentary( just put a little pressure on the side of the forearm) and has an on ( on until you turn it off ) switch. Hopefully find your answer here. http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/carfnbr/92/sesent/00

A butt cuff, is an attachment that slips over the butt stock, neoprene, leather, nylon, canvas etc... that can carry extra ammo, or accessories, I've used mine when hunting to carry extra chokes in their plastic containers.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 08:29:40 AM »

texcaliber

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007, 07:25:10 PM »
thanks m25operator, I have the 6v surefire on my 870max. It was the "buttcuff" ;D which i was asking/laughin about. Sad i know. But I learned something new well a couple things actually. The name for the slipon and a new way to carry my spare chokes. Awsome idea man. Just wondering if you or anyone else has see the more fixed stock shell holders and where to get them? I seen a couple on the colapisble stocks and one on the extras for the DVD "Dawn of the Dead" where the commando guy is explaining how to kill zombies by wasting a few on camera for the news station.

I was asking about the 1100/1187 cause i am going to get one or the other on Mon. so i need help making up my mind. The 1187 is ScatterGun peepsights fixed IC choke. The 1100 is green WilsonCombat finish with fiberoptic front beed type setup with interchangeable chokes. They are so cool but i can only get one cause i picked up a 590A1 this noon so....Ms.Tex said only one. And i even tried the pout lip and everything :( and got a repeat O N E ! My love. Maybe i should threaten to sleep on the couch.... ???....Naaaw she might call my bluff.  :D

Tex

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2007, 08:04:59 PM »
Well Tex, after much experience with ghost rings, and I think your 590 already has them. I would go with the normal sighting system with fiber optic front.  A shotgun in it's pure form was meant to be pointed, not aimed, my instructor reinforced that but I went for the hype, if your not shooting at least 60% slugs, go with the bead, my instructor gave me confidence that I could hit a piece of notebook paper at 50 yards with a bead sight using slugs, once you've played with it to know where your shotgun shoots. At close quarters, nothing beats whats been used for a hundred years with no significant change. If you really want a ghost ring/peep sight shotgun, message me for a great deal.

DonWorsham

• MWAG
  • Top Forum Member
  • I feel more like I do now than I ever did
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2007, 08:51:17 PM »
A shotgun in it's pure form was meant to be pointed, not aimed, ..., go with the bead,  At close quarters, nothing beats whats been used for a hundred years with no significant change.

My Remington 870 has rifle sights, I would prefer a bead. Replacement barrels are around $150 I believe.
Don Worsham
Varied Movements Performed Intensely

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk