Author Topic: Reloading counter  (Read 7400 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
Reloading counter
« on: August 31, 2011, 06:47:13 AM »
As my regular readers know, I'm obsessive-compulsive about primer and priming when it comes to reloading.  In the past I used a hand priming tool to insure every piece of brass was properly primed.  Now, giving way to the progressive "method", I worry a lot about the priming step.   I get distracted and typically forget to prime at least 1 case out of 100.  (Actually, I'm getting a lot better, but still miss one now and then.)  In other posts I've detailed a "primer out" indicator that lets me know I've used all the primers.  That wasn't really a problem.  I don't go so fast that I've ever felt like I'd keep reloading after the last primer.  But, that project was cheap and easy, and a first step towards this project.

Now I've gone a step further, with the Primer Indicator & Counter

When the reloading handle is pushed forward to prime a case, the green light on the box is illuminated and the counter increments by one.   The light stays on until a reset switch, near the top of the press, is activated.  The counter won't count multiple attempts at priming until after the reset switch is activated.  The light on the right is the Primer-Out indicator.

The red button is used to reset the counter to zero.   I just completed my first 100 rounds last night and it worked perfectly.  No more trying to count manually how many rounds I've done.  My OCD has been satisfied...........mostly.

Here's a closeup of the micro-switches.   On the bottom closest to the forground (with the "Z" shaped lever) is the priming switch.  It's bent so that it only activates at the very bottom of the priming stroke.  Next to it is the primer out switch.   It is activated when the priming tray is held in the rear position by the follower rod.   And the vertical switch at the top is the reset switch.

If I get around to it I'll make a new bracket to hold all three switches.   When I started I didn't realize how that might play out.   A single bracket could be an extension of either the base mounted one or the new one bolted to the rear of the press in the case feeder mounting hole.s   Here's a more technical description:

[UPDATE 7/31/2013:  Redington was bought by Trumeter.  Changed the links to reflect new URLs.  You will have to search on the web sites for "redington" to find more information.]

The counter is a complete module made by Trumeter/Redington (http://trumeter.com/3400%20Series) and costs about $21 from Allied Electronics. http://www.alliedelec.com/

They make run time meters as well and their counters come in up/down or up only, with and with out reset capability.   The counter have anti-falsing circuitry and work on AC as well as DC.  (Obviously they count slower than 60 rpm to keep from falsing on A/C).   The meter also has some indicators which can be programmed to illuminate at various counts.   Designed more around use with engines they are like "check engine" or "needs service" indicators.   I haven't gotten around to programming any of those yet.

The circuit is very simple using an SCR as a latching relay.  This means if you "double stroke" the primer to make sure it's seated, the counter only increments by one.

Here's a few remaining pictures.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
Re: Reloading counter
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 11:09:39 AM »
hmmmm...would it be possible to make a cam retraced spring loaded switch that would sound a buzzer if it went up into an empty primer pocket of the station after the priming station?

Looks like you would have to drill through the shell plate and the frame at the location of the Expander Die Station.

Sort of like installing another priming ram except as a sensor rather than a ram.

Probably not feasible...oh well.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 06:43:25 PM »
Dillon has all that...but that takes the fun out of it!

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 07:07:41 AM »
Dillon has all that...but that takes the fun out of it!

I do know Dillion has an "almost out" primer warning thingy, and it might even be adaptable to other presses.  Two problem with it though.  I was trying to get away from battery powered.  But more importantly , it only tells me when I'm low on primers.  Mine will tell me exactly when I'm out (or when the primer tray hangs up).   And with the counter I know I'm about out anyway.

I wasn't aware they had a device to help insure you'd actually "tried" to prime the shell.  Nor have I seen a counter on their page.  But, HEY.  I'm often wrong and over look things.

Quote from: Solus
hmmmm...would it be possible to make a cam retraced spring loaded switch that would sound a buzzer if it went up into an empty primer pocket of the station after the priming station?

Looks like you would have to drill through the shell plate and the frame at the location of the Expander Die Station.

Sort of like installing another priming ram except as a sensor rather than a ram.

Probably not feasible...oh well.

Actually, quite feasible and without drilling through the frame.   It would require a little careful machining of the sub-plate. What's needed is a very small insulated contact that sticks up just enough to touch the primer.   If contact isn't made at the bottom of the stroke then the warning light would come on indicating an empty primer pocket.   However, if you actually remember to do the priming step, you usually feel the primer so such a system would be redundant for me.

The problem I have had is in forgetting to actually do the priming step.  There are all sorts of distractions.  Like the small primer .45ACP cases, dropping a bullet, etc.  My new  system is working well, at least through the first 200 rounds.  And with the counter for assurance I feel much better about not skipping the priming step.  Plus it satisfied the OCD and accountant side of me.  100 primers in the tube, 100 cases primed.  If I added one other switch about halfway up, I could make activating that switch with out having activated the "primed" light sound a buzzer.  Then I could almost load with my eyes closed.   But I think three micro-switches are the about enough "junk" to hang on the press.

You usually know you've skipped one primer when you see powder on the shell plate.  The problem was then having to stop and find which one.     Also I frequently would be unsure of whether I had primed a case and would stop and check the case about to be charged.    Now I'm good to go.
Will work for ammo

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 05:06:47 PM »
alf, they use to have a counter but not anymore.  The low primer indicater has a rod that goes into the primer tube and you can watch it go lower.  Mine sets off the buzzer when there are 2 primers in the tube.  They also have a low powder sensor that sits in the powder hopper.  You are right in that both are battery operated.

Richard

PS:  I wasn't meaning adapt them to someone other system I was meaning buy a Dillon!
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:44:00 PM »

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 05:14:40 PM »
PS:  I wasn't meaning adapt them to someone other system I was meaning buy a Dillon!

;) I know.

As I've said, nothing against Dillon.  If I ever have the money to have a separate press for just one caliber, Dillon it would be.

Wouldn't that be "the corner".   A separate press for, 9mm, 45ACP, .357 Mag, .44 Mag, .223 and .308.   The lowly Hornady would be for one-off projects then.   Not only the money, but my basements not big enough.  Oh yeah, just buy a bigger house.

Will work for ammo

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 05:27:37 PM »
I saw two advantages to the LnL over my Dillon 650.

One is the "quick change" system is so much more flexible and the powder measure can swap out parts for different loadings where the Dillon requires a complete powder measure for quick change.

Two, the Dillon powder measure itself is not as efficient as the Hornady.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk