Author Topic: What about Taurus  (Read 4274 times)

Pababear

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
What about Taurus
« on: August 14, 2015, 05:02:04 PM »
I saw a 4" blue Taurus revolver today in .38 (all of the cartridge power, +p, etc) that I liked.  The trigger pull was decent for a 1 armed guy.  I was going to look at Ruger, but I couldn't open the cylinder and either could the store owner with his weak hand or the co owner.
Model 8284.

S&W would be my  in the running but EXPENSIVE.

Any ideas?  Gave up on the reduced recoil ammo, I want hp

Pababear

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1051
Re: What about Taurus
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 05:14:28 PM »
I've owned two Taurus revolvers in past years and had zero issues with either.

One was a Model 85 snubby in .38 spl and the other was a Model 66 .357 mag with 6" barrel. The M85 was a one-owner used gun in stainless and the M66 was bought new (the first new center-fire handgun I bought the day I turned 21).

Both were more accurate than I thought guns in their price ranges (20 years ago) would be at $150 for the M85 and $200 for the M66 (I won PPC and Bullseye matches with the M66).

I've heard of QC issues with some Taurus guns in the last ten years, and I can't speak to that, but my personal experience has been nothing but positive....with my own and shooting those of others over the years.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 460
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 08:28:01 PM »
S&W would be my  in the running but EXPENSIVE

Expensive initial purchase, but under heavy, prolonged usage it might prove to be a better buy.  Look at what competitors use.   In ICORE, it's 99% SW and 1% Ruger.  Check idpa annual report.  I think they list gun models used at their national match.

While I've had a problem with Taurus semi's, the revolvers I've shot have seemed okay.   Then again I've only shot a few rounds (100ish) through borrowed guns.  They do have some unique models that Smith doesn't. 

But brings up an interesting point:  single handed - weak handed handling.  Must try.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1116
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 10:09:10 PM »
What I hear is that Taurus quality is all over the place. A few friends have Taurus pistols and revolvers and the revolvers seem to be okay.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

santahog

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 06:45:16 AM »
"Back in 07", I bought a Taurus 85 for somewhere around $300 and the grip fell apart at 50 rounds.
I replaced it with a S&W, 360 PD, for just north of a Thousand, I think, and the firing pin broke on the 13th round..
This was for the (now late) wife, and she wouldn't touch either one after the failures occurred. I ended up finding a Security Six, "UNFIRED!" for just under $500 (ish) and it never gave either one of us a single problem.
As wheel guns go, I picked up an indiscretion for my birthday, (at link  8) http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_766309_-1____ProductDisplayErrorView_Y ) and while it's not as accurate as I would like, it sure is pretty!!!
I still really want a GP 100 357 with a 3" barrel and the old style wood insert grips.
After that, I'd also really like a S&W 327 (357 Mag). I believe this one would serve your purposes, but MSRP is 1,300. The best I see on Gunbroker is around 1,100 new and just under a Grand, used.
-----
Ever have something like a band that you like, that if you admitted it, you'd be ridiculed into the next county?
I want about 10 of those NAA "Sidewinder" 22 Mag rigs, with the built in holster that flips over like a pocket knife! (2 per car and two each for wife and I..)  ::)
But I'm not really into wheel guns.....
Oh, forgot my favorite.. It's a 325 PD Custom Shop thing, (discontinued, of course). It might also work well in this situation. 45 acp/moon clips. Very easy/light shooter. If you can find one, it's worthy of your consideration. I promise!
With friends like these, who needs hallucinations!..

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:39:38 PM »

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 889
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 07:04:34 AM »
I have never had or shot a Taurus.  They are not a popular gun up here - either in the stores or among the shooters.

I am surprised with the Ruger issue you found.  I am even more surprised that there was a gun with an issue that they put on the rack.

Remember that within reason, cost is not an issue when purchasing a defensive gun.  Personal fit, ability to carry and use as intended, and reliability all come before price.

For ammunition I use Hornady Critical Defense exclusively.  This is the ammunition that works 100% of the time in all my pistols, and to make things easier I cross it over to my revolver.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

vincewarde

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 12:37:22 PM »
My experience with Taurus has been limited to my PT92, which is basically a Beretta 92 with a frame mounted, ambidextrous  safety/decocker that allows carrying cocked and locked a la the 1911.  Beretta actually built the factory to fulfill a Brazilian military contract - then sold it "lock, stock and barrel to Taurus at the end of the contract.  I have put thousands of rounds through my PT92 and it has held up great.

I too have heard bad things about other Taurus products, and I personally would stay away from them.

tombogan03884

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 01:40:56 PM »
I've never heard anything bad about Taurus products and I've had a few of their revolvers over the years. What I have heard is that their customer service sucks worse than any one but H&K.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk