Author Topic: Cordless drills?  (Read 7566 times)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 457
Re: Cordless drills?
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2015, 09:04:46 AM »
While my drill has held together well, the NiCd batteries don't last and are very expensive compared to other brands such as Ryobi.  BTB, Batteries Plus will replace individual cells in NiCds.  Last I checked it was about $20/cell.

I've had very similar problems with cordless, land line phones. The batteries go bad long before the unit itself fails. Now I always look at the type of rechargeable batteries they take BEFORE I buy them. I look for AA batteries, and not these battery packs that are contained in shrink wrap, and have soldered connections with non standard, impossible to find connectors.

That way you can simply replace the batteries instead of tossing the phones. The battery packs cost more to replace than the phones do. Not so with individual AA type rechargeable cells. Especially if you have 4 or 5 remote handsets. When you do replace them look carefully at the rated output. They're not all the same. Buy the highest rated output for whatever cell size you require. Also, stick with the name brands like Duracell, Eveready, or Ray-O-Vac Ni-Cad Rechargeable Batteries. These units usually come from the factory with cheap, Chinese, no name batteries that don't last long, or have much capacity.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 453
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2015, 08:02:45 AM »
.... not these battery packs that are contained in shrink wrap, and have soldered connections with non standard, impossible to find connectors.

I know you know this, but for those that might not.  Battery packs are not soldered together.  The heat would damage the cells.   They are tack-welded.    A special machine just for that purpose is used.   Thought of buying one for this and other projects but decided it wasn't worth it.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1089
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2015, 09:58:43 AM »
When I needed batteries for a cordless phone it was the kind of battery pack Bill described. I found one with the right connector at Radio Shack. I think it was even more powerful than the stock battery pack but I'm not sure anymore.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

vincewarde

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2015, 11:04:53 PM »
If you are a contractor, by all means buy a contractor grade drill.  If you are a homeowner, buying a drill made to be used 10 hours a day for years is overbuying, IMHO.  I have a Ryobi with 10+ years on it.  A year or so ago, upgraded to the new NiMH batteries and a smart charger.  NiCADs were 5 years old and still working, but the new tech has double the capacity.  They also hold a charge, basically forever.

I also have several other tools that use the same batteries, which is nice.  After several years the motor in my circular saw burned out.  I thought I would have to buy a new saw.  Nope - new motor was less than $20.00 shipped.  Saw is back in service.

All in all, I am happy with Ryobi tools, for my purposes.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk