Author Topic: Battleship GIF Deconsructed  (Read 857 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1107
Battleship GIF Deconsructed
« on: August 11, 2023, 08:42:06 PM »
I have a GIF file of a battleship that's way too big to post, 1.27 MB, even though it's only 498x300 pixels. Don't ask me why it's not 500x300, or which ship it is, because I don't know. I think it's the USS Iowa. The muzzle blast is so great it pushes a large bowl shaped depression into the ocean under each set of guns. That's one wave you wouldn't want to surf! I used the free IrfanView graphic viewer app to extract all 17 frames from the GIF so I can post them as JPGs. Many years ago I read that when a battleship fired it's 16" guns, the whole ship moved sideways 6'. I don't know if that's true or not, but the edge of it's barely in the picture by the last frame. It looks like it moved at least that far plus rocked so it looks like it moved even farther. Wikipedia lists the weight as 48,110 long tons (48,880 t) Standard, 57,540 long tons (58,460 t) full load. That averages out to well over 100 million pounds. Think about the worst recoil of any gun you've ever fired, then try to imagine how bad the recoil must be to move a 100,000,000+ pound ship sideways!

The first picture is the Iowa firing a full broadside of nine 16-inch/50-caliber and six 5-inch/38 cal guns. If the 16" guns are 50 calibers long, that means they're 800", or 66'8" long. I heard that when they clean the barrels, a guy with a mop goes in. No wonder they're called swabbies. :D One of my platoon sergeants said that when he was in Vietnam, you could see the shells flying overhead and they looked as big as Volkswagen Beetles. Even though they were "only" 16" in diameter, the shells actually weighed more than car!

https://www.irfanview.com/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Iowa_(BB-61)
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: Battleship GIF Deconsructed
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2023, 08:43:16 PM »
Pics 6-11.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2023, 08:45:06 PM »
Pics 12-17.  Look at the left side of pictures 1 and 17 to see how much the ship moved sideways.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1046
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2023, 06:14:52 PM »
Ten or so years ago I visited the USS Alabama at Battleship Park in Mobile, Alabama. It was cool to see the size of those guns first-hand. Her guns were shorter than those in your photos, but were still 16"... The Alabama used nine 16-inch/45-caliber Mark 6 guns.
They had posters of the cut-away for the multi-level gun turrets. I didn't have the mobility to enter into the confines of the turret housing, so pics had to do. I'll attach one of the cut-away pics.
The powder charges were in silk bags...and if i remember correctly, the number of bags used was six per shot.

The Mark 6 and 7 guns were originally intended to fire the relatively light 2,240-pound Mark 5 armor-piercing shell. However, the shell-handling system for these guns was redesigned to use the "super-heavy" 2,700-pound APCBC (armor-piercing, capped, ballistic capped) Mark 8 shell before any of the Iowa-class battleships were laid down.
The large-caliber guns were designed to fire two different 16-inch (406 mm) shells: an armor-piercing round for anti-ship and anti-structure work, and a high-explosive round designed for use against unarmored targets and shore bombardment.
The Mark 8 shells gave the North Carolina, South Dakota, and Iowa classes the second heaviest broadside of all battleship classes, despite the fact that the North Carolina and South Dakota ships were treaty battleships. Only the Yamato-class could throw more weight.
The Mark 6's disadvantage relative to other contemporary battleship classes was its comparatively shorter range.
The propellant consists of small cylindrical grains of smokeless powder with an extremely high burning rate. A maximum charge consists of six silk bags, each filled with 110 pounds (50 kg) of propellant.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2023, 07:53:30 AM »
Couple of points:

IIRC, there are no recoil mechanisms for those guns, so basically the ship in the water IS the recoil mechanism.

I just saw a video on the Iowa turret 2 explosion in the late 80s, and the massive Navy coverup that ensued. The Navy put an admiral in charge of the initial "investigation" who was solely responsible for the Navy's powder, projectiles and guns. He had knowledge, yes, but he also had turf to protect. That is why they leveled those whole homosexual and self-destructive charges against one poor gunner's mate who died in the blast. The poor kid was eventually exonerated in the explosion, but the Navy never retracted any of the other allegations.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 02:02:38 PM »

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2023, 01:49:36 PM »
I was stationed on a ship in Long Beach, CA when the USS New Jersey came in to go through re-commissioning to aid in the Vietnam war effort.  She had those 16" guns, and I remember thinking those suckers are BIG.  The size of the projectile being fired was big, too: approximately the weight of a VW Bug (1,900 to 2,700 lb).  And those guns could throw that thing 24 miles. 

But with all that going for her, she was pretty much a waste of time in Vietnam.  The coastal waters were too shallow to allow that deep draft ship to get in close enough to do any real damage.  Charlie just moved his important stuff a little further inland and he was good. 

The other thing I remember about the New Jersey was the wooden decks.  Those decks needed regular holystoning by their deck crew to keep them looking white.  That's where you get down on your knees with a soft and brittle sandstone and rub out any stains, from foc'sle to fantail, while simultaneously rubbing all the hide off your hands.  Boatswains (bosons) were in charge of that and Deck Department swab jockeys really hated that duty.   I was in Operations so I would have escaped that foul duty.

FWIW,
Crusader Rabbit
“I’ve lived the literal meaning of the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave.’ It’s not corny for me. I feel it in my heart. I feel it in my chest. Even at a ball game, when someone talks during the anthem or doesn’t take off his hat, it pisses me off. I’m not one to be quiet about it, either.”  Chris Kyle

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 580
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2023, 09:56:20 PM »
  Nice addition Crusader.  BTW, what state do you live in now?
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1046
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2023, 11:21:32 AM »
Couple of points:
I just saw a video on the Iowa turret 2 explosion in the late 80s, and the massive Navy coverup that ensued. The Navy put an admiral in charge of the initial "investigation" who was solely responsible for the Navy's powder, projectiles and guns. He had knowledge, yes, but he also had turf to protect. That is why they leveled those whole homosexual and self-destructive charges against one poor gunner's mate who died in the blast. The poor kid was eventually exonerated in the explosion, but the Navy never retracted any of the other allegations.

As a side note on the Iowa explosion, I had a high school friend who was aboard when that happened.
He never got over it and PTSD haunted him for years and finally caught up with him a couple months ago when he took his own life. I hadn't seen him in years since he was living in south Florida, but found out about it when my daughter-in-law was telling us about her cousin passing away and it turned out to be him.

Collateral casualty.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2023, 07:56:17 PM »
One sergeant I was stationed with in Germany had PTSD. BAD! He told me that one time he was found with his face painted with camo after low crawling across a field at Aberdeen Proving Ground. I don't remember any details, but my friend Sarge said he was in the power plant, ready to take the reactor offline. I guess he was part of a death squad or kill team, whatever you call it, in Vietnam, and had a necklace of human ears. A whole LOT of ears but I didn't see that picture. You can't go through stuff like that and not be affected by it in a seriously bad way when you get back home.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk