Author Topic: Irma and Florida  (Read 17980 times)

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
Re: Irma and Florida
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2017, 06:19:07 PM »
GREAT RABBIT!!!...

Whew....was hanging on this one....I'll chip in for a new tarp too...

WooooooHooooo
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 887
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2017, 07:19:02 PM »
Great to hear about the cat and rabbit.  Waiting to hear on our kids place in Bonita Springs.  It's just a get away home, but still concerned.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1111
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2017, 10:32:24 PM »
If you look at the homes and estates for sale on Zillow in Cudjoe, Summerland, and Big Pine Key. There are some beautiful and unbelievably expensive properties there. I'm sure most have been destroyed, or severely damaged. I can't imagine some of the losses those people are going to take. There is no harbor, or breakwater protection from the open ocean. And with the damage done to the only road in and out. Who knows how long it will take them to get materials in to rebuild. It's not the easiest place to get to. Especially with so much damage and flooding up and down the state.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/pmf,pf_pt/2-_beds/136000-_price/494-_mp/globalrelevanceex_sort/24.701847,-81.398993,24.629776,-81.552801_rect/12_zm/

One of those houses in Summerland Key is listed for $13,900,000. I wonder how it fared. If my house was a total loss it would be chump change compared to what even a little damage to that house would cost.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2017, 04:21:34 AM »
One of those houses in Summerland Key is listed for $13,900,000. I wonder how it fared. If my house was a total loss it would be chump change compared to what even a little damage to that house would cost.

I would imagine it's heavily damaged. Especially sticking out on a point like that. Very few of those homes have any seawall type of protection from the water. There was at least a 6' storm surge in the Keys. With 140+ MPH winds. Many first floor residences were completely inundated. I think the biggest problem for a lot of these people, isn't going to be rebuilding. It is going to be the difficultly they'll face in securing building materials. Between Texas, all of Florida, along with the Caribbean, there isn't going to be enough to go around.

Drywall, carpet, flooring, cabinets, vanities, paneling, will all be in short supply. And will cost a premium. Not to mention roofing supplies and lumber of any kind. A lot of pool homes in Florida have those screened in enclosures over them for insects and mosquitoes. You can bet most every one will need replacement. Those things look anything but solidly constructed. Everyone will need everything at the same time. There will be shortages galore. Not to mention rip off artists, and lots of quick and dirty shoddy construction to go along with it.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 887
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2017, 01:50:27 PM »
Word from the daughter. Last night is no damage.  Not even a branch down.  Neighbor across the street had branches down and interior water damage.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Sponsor

« Reply #55 on: Today at 02:42:56 AM »

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2017, 02:00:12 PM »
Not perfect, Mike, but I'd settle for that.  =)))
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Timothy

« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2017, 05:07:21 PM »
Word from the daughter. Last night is no damage.  Not even a branch down.  Neighbor across the street had branches down and interior water damage.

Great news!

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 583
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2017, 09:16:26 PM »
I am so glad the storm gulped some dry air.  If that thing had been what it was thought to be.....

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2017, 03:20:32 PM »
I am so glad the storm gulped some dry air.  If that thing had been what it was thought to be.....

Yep.

Glad CR, Haz, and Mike's folks fared well..... Hope Les did as well.

It hit with way less brutality than originally forecast in southern Georgia.
Our church opened a Good Samaritan shelter during the storm, with fifty or so folks that came in. We worked there until around 11 PM Sunday and went home (2 miles away) for some shut-eye. We went back early Monday morning before the worst of it hit to prepare and serve breakfast and rode it out there.

There was not as much damage to homes as anticipated, and power outage was the main problem. The church had partial outage until around noon today. We were without power at the house for around 36 hours (got it back at 6 PM yesterday, thankfully not long enough for our three freezers to start thawing deer meat). I've lived on this property for nearly fifty years and this was the longest span of power loss that I can remember. There are still some folks without power.

I can see a generator purchase in the near future (at least large enough to power the camper and freezers).

We have a lot pf pecan tree limbs down (some of considerable size) on our property, but none on any buildings (thankfully).

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2017, 03:32:23 PM »
The good fortune the Tampa area received, was paid back in spades by those living in the Jacksonville / Middleburg / Palatka area. That area in and around the St. Johns River has seen some of the worst flooding in the last 170 years. And remember, that was over 400 miles, and 24 hours from where it made it's original landfall in the Keys.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk