Author Topic: Didn't Get the Memo on Wolf Ammo!  (Read 15509 times)

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Didn't Get the Memo on Wolf Ammo!
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2008, 08:59:03 PM »
Thank you for all the insight, I too am somewhat disappointed that an "Assault Rifle" would not shoot just about anything placed in the magazine. If the tolerances are too tight, it might be something worked out over time. However, after viewing the review at this website about the Sig 556, I guarantee they were not shooting Wolf ammo.

After investing ALOT of money in this rifle, I expect it to fire as designed. If the Remington ammo works fine and the Wolf does not, I'll drop Sig a line right away.

Accuracy was not the issue, I had NO misfires. Just the feeding of the next round.

And the post of underpowered rounds may be valid, as the bolt did not lock open on the last round. But did with the Rem. rounds.

Thank you for the replies.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2008, 09:56:47 PM »
Flip a coin. One of my Stags runs 100% on Wolf 55-gr and will honest to goodness deliver 1 MOA @ 100 yards if I wake up and pay attention. My superb JP Enterprises match gun is not crazy about Wolf and tends to punishes me if I try to use it. My old Double Star carbine won't run on Wolf 55-gr at all. Won't run on that old South African ball we all bought by the case years ago either...I tend to agree with the underpowered theory in both cases.

Michael B
Michael Bane, Majordomo @ MichaelBane.TV

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2008, 06:29:22 AM »
I ran 3-4 mags through my Sig when I got it, all Wolf, saving the better stuff for later. Never had a problem, and I was actually ore worried about the mags, cuz I was testing the plastic mag that came with the rifle, 2 poly Magpuls, and one of the metal mage. They all ran flawlessly with this rifle too. Can't vouch for the accuracy at this point, it was about 20 out, north wind at about 20 (at our backs), had trouble keeping the paper targets up. Oh yeah, and it was snowing.

Typical ND weather.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

WymoreWrangler

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2008, 06:34:31 AM »
I run Wolf through my Saiga without problems, only problem is the stuff isn't in the gunshops at this time...

Lucas

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2008, 10:59:50 PM »
I agreee with what has been said so far,  However,  we just had a strange thing with the wolf black box 7.62.  We bought four boxes,  and about five out of every box were what appeared to be loaded extreamly (dangerously) hot!!!  We have ran several brands through the same rifle with no like results.  The differance in sound was absolutly insane,  and the flash Holy Hell.  I kid you not,  the flash was about the size of a baseball with every other round with the "hot" rounds from wolf the flash was the size of two medicine balls.  Until someone tells me otherwise I will assume that these rounds were loaded hot.
By the ring of our swords, and the flash of our cannons, they will know that We Are Free

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 10:02:43 PM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2008, 01:04:12 AM »
I agreee with what has been said so far,  However,  we just had a strange thing with the wolf black box 7.62.  We bought four boxes,  and about five out of every box were what appeared to be loaded extreamly (dangerously) hot!!!  We have ran several brands through the same rifle with no like results.  The differance in sound was absolutly insane,  and the flash Holy Hell.  I kid you not,  the flash was about the size of a baseball with every other round with the "hot" rounds from wolf the flash was the size of two medicine balls.  Until someone tells me otherwise I will assume that these rounds were loaded hot.

Which 7.62 calibre, what kind of rifle ?

kilopaparomeo

• Top Forum Member
  • My own private purgatory...
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2008, 11:08:43 AM »
I've never had problems with Wolf in any of my handguns or rifles.

That said, would you go out and buy a new ZR-1 Corvette and then find the cheapest, nastiest gasoline you could find to put in it?  Why do people spend a fortune on guns and then go cheap on ammo??
NRA Endowment Life Member
SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
Ultima Ratio Civis - "The last method of a citizen"

pioneer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2008, 03:29:49 PM »
I've never fired Wolf ammo, and likely never will.  I've heard about too many problems with it.  I find that you get what you pay for and if you want reliable, quality ammo, buy factory fresh ammo from American manufacturers.  I won't outsource my ammo business to Russia, or B.F.E.  Yeah, I pay more for it, but don't see much sense in using cheap ammo in an expensive firearm. 

That's my opinion based on my experience.  Your mileage may differ.

Russian ammo in an AMERICAN rifle?  I DON'T THINK SO, DOG BREATH!  NOW DROP AND GIVE ME 20!
Life Member NRA / SAF Member
Naval Aviation 1965-1969
Retired Police Detective '71-'01
HR-218 Certified

United States Constitution (c) 1791
         All Rights Reserved.

Lucas

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2008, 06:26:10 PM »
Generic AK ROMARM ???
7.62X39 124G Black box wolf
By the ring of our swords, and the flash of our cannons, they will know that We Are Free

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2008, 07:36:40 PM »
Thank you Pioneer. I'm winded after my 20.  I knew there would be different results from different posts and I guess the bottom line is manufacturing consistency.

The standards of Black Hills, Rem. etc,... do account for something.

If my life depended on it, Red Dawn type scenario, it wouldn't be Wolf. BUT, all those who enjoy it and have no trouble, I think thats great, enjoy, and good shooting!

Thanks you for all the posts.

Tom W.
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk