Author Topic: Zero to Hero 2013 - Chronicles  (Read 7250 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 457
Zero to Hero 2013 - Chronicles
« on: October 13, 2013, 12:59:29 PM »
(Actually that's rather a bold statement as I'm doubting about making it to the "hero" status.)

So the adventure begins.  Not quite how I expected though.  My wife's mother passed away Friday and I found myself on a plane to Tucson Saturday.  The fortunate part is she did live in Arizona.  Martha was 97 and had lived a full life, no regrets.   The other nice part is the her family fully supports me going on this adventure.  I'm pretty sure Martha would have, too.

So some time this morning I'm hopping in the rental car and driving up to Phoenix.  Two stops, Cabela's and to have a cool one with KMitch.  Then on up to Prescott.   I've been pretty reserved up until now about this trip.  Worried a little that I'd be able to shoot well enough.  And that I'd be able to absorb and apply the lessons Gabe will be teaching.  Due to the sudden change of plans I missed shooting practice Friday, so it's been a week without shooting.  Will I be good enough material for Michael to air?  All these doubts.  However as I type this at my sister-in-laws house, getting ready to get on the road, I am becoming somewhat excited.  More tonight after a few with Kevin and the crew.

The adventure begins.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
Re: Zero to Hero 2013 - Chronicles
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 01:11:19 PM »
Have faith, Alf.

You might not start out as the best and you might not achieve that status during the sessions, but, after watching how you approach the other shooting endeavors you have posted about here,  I have little doubt that you will excel.

You focus, put a lot into it and always are looking to improve and be as good as you can be.

That attitude will see you through..

Take care and have a blast.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 01:25:26 PM »
I think you'll do fine. You know how to pull a trigger.
Sorry to hear about the Mother in law. Glad the family is OK with side trip.

If knew you wanted to hit Cabela's I would have waited to spend too much money 'till this week...last week was WOW! :o when they rang it up. But now I'm almost completely set for some calibers I hadn't reloaded for previously.
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 11:33:49 PM »
I'm in Prescott!!

First though I stopped off at Glendale to have lunch with KMitch. Great time.  We shot the breeze about everything including shooting.  Then we went over to Cabela's to do a little shopping.   I had a picture taken of us by the  Cabela's guard, but I'll need to find a way to get it out of the camera on the road.

Then on to Prescott. Nice drive, but after doing 80 for an hour throttling down to 35 in town was painful.   Went all the way downtown and tooled around the city, then back out to the hotel on the edge of town.  Met Kevin and we went to dinner. Got to know each other and discussed the shooting industry.  We tried to figure out what the next two days would be like.  Hoping we can put lots, I mean lots of rounds downrange!  The key is somebody else's ammo. I'm hoping my trigger finger gets so much work out I can't move it by Wednesday.   I hope Michael brings several cases.

Pictures when I can get them uploaded.

Will work for ammo

Marshal Halloway

• Forum Administrator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 28
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 12:05:15 PM »

Alf,

You'll have a great time at Gunsite. Thanks for sharing your adventure with us on the forum.

M'ette and I just got back from Gunsite after taking the team tactical course.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 10:20:51 PM »

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 04:33:45 PM »
I am totally envious and wish you the best.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 05:51:16 PM »
Me too...what they said!

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

JC5123

• Top Forum Member
  • Fortune sides with him who dares.
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 05:52:47 PM »
Hope the weather is better for your run. It was COLD and rainy when we were there last year. Of course, what is that saying? If it ain't raining, we ain't training?
I am a member of my nation's chosen soldiery.
God grant that I may not be found wanting,
that I will not fail this sacred trust.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 07:51:40 PM »
Wow a long day. Yes I know it's only 5:20pm but when you're on your feet all day shooting ,shooting, shooting.  Good thing I already had a good callus on my shooting finger.

To correct a misconception, we're not at GunSite.  This is all being filmed at one of Gabe's shooting facilities.  It's closer to Prescott and since we're the only ones there our melodious voices won't be drowned out by wanna be yahoos shooting on another range. ;). Weather is perfect for this.  40 to 75.  We all used a lot of Michael's Nutrogena sunscreen.

Went through basics today. Grip, stance, trigger pull,  and of course, sight picture.  Red dots.  That's one of the purposes of this class is to get familiar  with red dots.  I've had some cheaper ones. Not so good.  I now have a Burris Fast Fire on my .22s. However, it's not good for tactical work, because the battery won't last long enough and it's light activated, meaning in dim light it shuts off. Ideal for plinking,but not tactical.

We're using Glocks with Leupold and Doctor brand sights.  Never heard of Doctor? Neither had I. Check them out. http://docterusa.com. 7mm dot versions.   Gabe is a great teacher and very practical.   He calls it likes he sees it and I think when you see the show there will be great discussion.  Some things I'm okay at and need just a little tweaking.  Other concepts are new and I need a lot more practice.  I'm very bad at Tap-and-rack, which I had to use a lot today.  Seems I just can't get my magazines seated properly.  Guess that's why I'm the zero in this equation.

I also suck at personal interviews on camera.  I feel like I majorly failed the screen test today.

So spent the day shooting Michael's ammo now we're going to eat and imbibe on his AMEX card!
Will work for ammo

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 887
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 08:07:43 PM »
Thanks for the update Alf!

Don't worry about the flubs.  If you didn't have them you wouldn't be learning.

Don't worry about the screen test.  My first on camera experience was on the 10:00 news after a tornado hit our yard.  Yup, that's right boys and girls.  I was the redneck with a six day beard in greasy, dusty hog chore clothes that had been worn for 36+ straight hours ... suspenders and all, and I was waving my arms pointing all over the place explaining where the tornado came from and headed off to.  Really impressive  :-[

In my defense, it was planting season, and I was working around the clock doing everything father-in-law had aged out of:  Maintaining the equipment at night when he was sleeping, doing chores while he kept clean, loading the planter and hauling fuel while he teased the grandkids and fed Oreos to the dogs.  I guess that is what he earned by continuing to work well into his 70's.

Mean while back at the range:

Enjoy the lessons, share what you can, enjoy the fellowship, and represent us well ... Knowing this group that should be very easy.  Oh yea, and don't get blood all over the guns and ammo  ;)
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk