Author Topic: `Tonight' sidekick Ed McMahon dies in LA at 86  (Read 5106 times)

Kid Shelleen

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: `Tonight' sidekick Ed McMahon dies in LA at 86
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2009, 11:04:54 AM »

What they said.
What he, they and you said.

RIP to a patriot. I never knew. Like many in that generation, he went about his duty quietly with pride and dignity.
“What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that the people preserve the spirit of resistance?”

Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Timothy

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2009, 11:17:12 AM »
Too bad for the money problems he had toward the end.  Apperantly he was generous to a fault, not that that is a problem but he gave away a ton of his own cash over the years.

He died relatively pennyless, at least on paper. 

We used to beg to stay up and watch the Tonight Show in the sixties when we were kids.  Beg and beg and beg, only to fall asleep after the monologue or shortly after... ;D

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 08:44:01 PM »
I was reading some magazines at the local B&N and I ran across an article in Vietnam magazine about General Jimmy Stewart secretly flying a mission in a B-52 over Nam (South, not north) from Guam. The pilot was a "Capt. Amos".

I didn't read the whole article, but you can (as will I): http://www.historynet.com/mr-stewart-goes-to-vietnam.htm

Funniest part - as they're landing, the B-52 indicated its flaps were split and the plane rolled slightly As the pilot was pulling out of the landing sequence, all he could think about was if the plane plowed in was tomorrow's headline screaming -

"Jimmy Stewart killed in B-52 crash piloted by Bob Amos"
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk