Author Topic: The Jim Zumbo "Defection"  (Read 69252 times)

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The Jim Zumbo "Defection"
« on: February 18, 2007, 01:16:30 PM »
Oh, and its a hollow feelin' when
It comes down to dealin' friends
It never ends
— The Eagles
"Tequila Sunrise"

So a couple of days after Carolyn McCarthy introduces the first of what we all fear will be many new Assault Weapons Bans (AWB) in the House of Representatives, one of our own sells us out.

This from Outdoor Life columnist and Outdoor Channel personality Jim Zumbo's HUNTING WITH JIM ZUMBO blog, dating 16 February 2007. I'm going to print his entire post for you to read:

http://outdoorlife.blogs.com/zumbo/2007/02/assault_rifles_.html

Assault Rifles For Hunters?

As I write this, I'm hunting coyotes in southeastern Wyoming with Eddie Stevenson, PR Manager for Remington Arms, Greg Dennison, who is senior research engineer for Remington, and several writers. We're testing Remington's brand new .17 cal Spitfire bullet on coyotes.

I must be living in a vacuum. The guides on our hunt tell me that the use of AR and AK rifles have a rapidly growing following among hunters, especially prairie dog hunters. I had no clue. Only once in my life have I ever seen anyone using one of these firearms.

I call them "assault" rifles, which may upset some people. Excuse me, maybe I'm a traditionalist, but I see no place for these weapons among our hunting fraternity. I'll go so far as to call them "terrorist" rifles. They tell me that some companies are producing assault rifles that are "tackdrivers."

Sorry, folks, in my humble opinion, these things have no place in hunting. We don't need to be lumped into the group of people who terrorize the world with them, which is an obvious concern. I've always been comfortable with the statement that hunters don't use assault rifles. We've always been proud of our "sporting firearms."

This really has me concerned. As hunters, we don't need the image of walking around the woods carrying one of these weapons. To most of the public, an assault rifle is a terrifying thing. Let's divorce ourselves from them. I say game departments should ban them from the praries and woods.

Certainly Jim — a man who, up until this column, I considered my friend and colleague — is entitled to both have and speak his own opinion...that is the nature of the First Amendment. At least Jim seems to approve of that one!

But the fact is that Jim is arguably the most influential hunting writer in the world, and his column, coming on the heels of the introduction of a new AWB — however unlikely this one is to become law — throws down a gauntlet to state agencies and to hunters in general...join Jim in stepping across the line to side with the McCarthys, the Bradys, the Schumers, or stay with the defenders of the Second Amendment and the right to keep and bear arms.

By calling for the ban of "black rifles" in the hunting fields, where they are gaining huge popularity, my former friend and colleague has changed sides. He does so out of far-too-proud ignorance — "I must be living in a vacuum" — and a breathtaking arrogance — "As hunters, we don't need the image of walking around the woods carrying one of these weapons."

What image would you like to project, Jim? That of an out-of-touch, former sportsman wondering aloud why guns don't look like they used to...even though they use the same mechanisms? And how are you going to feel, Jim, when your words are read into the Congressional Record or used by Brady or the Violence Policy Center to continue to destroy our right to keep and bear arms? Is that what you want your "legacy" to be...Jim Zumbo — He Killed a Lot of Animals While Helping to Get Guns Banned!

You threw down your gauntlet, Jim, now let me throw down mine:

Apologize. Now, not later.

Or reap the whirlwind, brother!
Michael Bane, Majordomo @ MichaelBane.TV

scott220

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: The Jim Zumbo "Defection"
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 02:17:21 PM »
Well said Michael.  I have always enjoyed watching Mr. Zumbo's show on the Outdoor Channel, and have read several of his books.  I am now letting my subscription to both Outdoor Life and Field and Stream expire, and will never again purchase them.  His actions are the worst kind.  When a highly respected long-time shooter/hunter makes these kind of remarks in an international forum, it does damage.  I hope he heeds your advice and apologizes, but I fear it may be too late for his career. 

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 02:26:36 PM »
As a friend of mine just emailed me, Zumbo's comments have become, "The perfect Internet storm..."

As you may know, I've blogged the "hunter/shooter" schism many many times, being careful not to read on the feet of the hunting community. The bottom line is that hunting is shrinking and shooting (the shooting sports, black rifles, self-defense, training) is hugely growing. The tail is wagging the dog, and Zumbo's comments show that it's past time for us to do a little muscle-flexing!

Michael B

waterburybob

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 02:41:25 PM »
I don't know that an apology is going to do it.  Mr. Zumbo sold-out  a whole bunch of gunowners with those statements. If this elitist attitude is what he really feels, then he deserves whatever comes from this. 

From what I've read over on Sig Forum, it appears that Michael Haugen, the manager of the Military Products Division at Remington has been made aware of this and found it important enough to go into the office on a Sunday and respond to the scores of e-mails that Remington is receiving about their connection to Zumbo.

Zumbo's comments are just what the anti's will love to use to support the new AWB that has been proposed. In my opinion, he should be released by Outdoor Life and Shooting Illustrated (an NRA publication) immediately, and shunned by all other businesses in the shooting sports.

As the saying goes, he made his bed . . .

BGregory

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 02:49:43 PM »
I’m sorry to say that I did not find Mr. Zumbo’s remarks surprising.  I have found that in my region many hunters look at firearm bans and feel that since the firearms proposed to be ban are not what they own that it is of no concern to them.

I have always had a problem with the word "Assault".  An assault rifle or carbine is one that is capable of “selective fire”, i.e. capable of semi-automatic and/or automatic or burst modes.  Mr. Zumbo’s use of the label,  “terrorist rifles”, ups the ante and precludes any rational discussion of the subject with him, IMHO.

As a historical note, the British considered the long rifle to be “un-sporting” due to its ability to deliver accurate fire at long range.  By today’s standards, as defined by Mr. Zumbo, would he consider that to be a "terrorist rifle"?
Cò an caora sin còmhla riut a chunnaic mi an-raoir?

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 10:28:31 PM »

waterburybob

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 04:25:49 PM »
Well, now the  damage is complete. 

The Brady Campaign has picked up Dumbo's comments and are running with them. They're blocking all postings of his apology/retraction, by the way.

This is why no apology he can make is acceptable. He has single-handedly set back the fight for 2nd Amendment rights.

I hope all his sponsors/employers drop him immediately.

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007, 04:43:41 PM »
Zumbo caves quick...

...now that the damage is done and our enemies have one more stick to beat us with! This from Jim Zumbo's blog a few minutes ago:

Believe it or not, I'm your best friend if you're a hunter or shooter, though it might not seem that way. I simply screwed up. And, to show that I'm sincere about this, I just talked to Ted Nugent, who everyone knows, and is a Board member of the NRA. Ted is extremely active with charities concerning our wounded military, and though he's known as a bowhunter, Ted has no problem with AR 15's and similar firearms. My sincerity stems from the fact that Ted and I are planning a hunt using AR 15's. I intend to learn all I can about them, and again, I'm sorry for inserting my foot in my mouth.
Let this serve notice...you attack black rifles, you attack .50 BMGs, you attack "Saturday Night Specials"...an attack on one is an attack on all. It doesn't matter where that attack comes from!

It's time to choose sides, boys and girls.

Jim, I accept your apology...and you got a DAMN LONG WAY TO GO before you get anyone in this culture's trust back!

fiftycal

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 06:22:16 PM »
Well, I don't "accept" his apology.  What he wrote sounded like what he meant.  And what he meant is that he is an elitest who's "doesn't see the need" for anything HE doesn't agree with.  Well, maybe the Nuge will rock his world.  Maybe his alzheimer's is too advanced.  Whatever.  He needs to learn that hsi SPONSORS will pay the price for his anti-gun screed.  And once his SPONSORS remove the MONEY, maybe he will look a little closer at what gun ownership is all about.

canon6

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2007, 07:08:11 PM »
As I See it ZUMBO is entitled to his opinion but not to allow it to overshadow good sense and I think a lame apology,aimed at keeping his job,is an insult   Doug

jjtnova

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2007, 07:17:22 PM »
Sorry to seem a little harsh but the "I was tired" excuse doesn't cut it in the real world.  I don't own an AR or AK but like the fact that I can if I want to, Jim's a big help to the Brady's now and little to us.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk