Author Topic: The WAG THE DOG Manifesto!  (Read 109650 times)

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
Re: The WAG THE DOG Manifesto!
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2007, 03:17:26 PM »
Taking Michael's suggestion, I just saw a blurb on NRA.org that Wal-Mart is removing all guns from 3 NH stores. If we turned this firestorm of indignation on Wal-Mart to tell them to stop caving in to the anit's that might be a start.

And don't forget to cc: your state and federal Senators and representatives when you contact Wal-Mart.

PS: anyone else notice how silent the NRA has been on Zumbo? Sad and unbelievable.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

dhowser

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2007, 03:39:29 PM »
Here's your answer on the NRA response. www.nraila.org/News/Read/Releases.aspx?ID=8952.  They've severed all ties.

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2007, 03:58:22 PM »
dhouser -

Thanks. I searched the NRA HQ site, the parent site to the ILA site, and come up with old articles and shills for a new publication with an article by Zumbo. I did not search the ILA site, figuring (wrongly) that any response would come from the parent site.

From the first paragraph of the article: "Comments expressed by outdoor writer Jim Zumbo reflect neither the opinions of the National Rifle Association and America’s gun owners, nor are they an accurate portrayal of facts in regard to semi-automatic firearms lawfully owned by millions of citizens.  Therefore, NRA Publications has suspended its professional ties with Mr. Zumbo. "

This is not a condemnation of Zumbo, simply a statement that NRA Publications has severed all ties. The rest of the press release, buried on ILA's website, is a weak statement regarding the impact of the response, IMHO. I expected NRA to do better.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

Middle Man

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2007, 04:48:00 PM »
Taking Michael's suggestion, I just saw a blurb on NRA.org that Wal-Mart is removing all guns from 3 NH stores. If we turned this firestorm of indignation on Wal-Mart to tell them to stop caving in to the anit's that might be a start.

And don't forget to cc: your state and federal Senators and representatives when you contact Wal-Mart.

To be quite frank, Wal Mart is not "caving to the anti's" with their recent move to discontinue firearms sales in many stores.  It's more about economics, raw dollars and cents.  Fact is only some of their stores actually do well in regards to inventory turns and sales per square foot with guns.  Those two factors are HUGE in Wal Mart's overall performance rating of stores/management and (here's the key) those factors are of the utmost importance to their profit generation.  More of their profit is generated on volume of sales than on the margin dollars, therefore moving goods out of the store quickly is very important.  If something sits too long on the shelf, Wal Mart is loosing.  Sales floor space is a precious commodity that you don't want to waste on goods that are not moving out the door fast enough.  Wal Mart prices most of their firearms as a loss leader with thin margins to pull customers in the door to hopefully buy that loss leader and a shopping cart of other items at a better profit margin. 

In the case of Wal-Mart not selling guns, it would be better for the overall health of the industry (and one manufacturer in particular) if Wal Mart left the gun business.  Not to bash Wal Mart, but I would equate their business model in relation to their suppliers to Sherman's march on Atlanta.  A few years back Wal Mart returned several million dollars of firearm inventory to a vendor, this action wreaked havoc at the wholesale level and did considerable financial harm to a major manufacturer.  On the consumer side Wal Mart's firearms selection is abysmal in regards to choice.  Additionally, in much the same manner as substandard "gray" electronics deceive consumers, Wal Mart has been know to offer for sale "factory second" rifles to the public without disclosing them as such.

I don't want any part of your change.

McCarthy was right...

Snake45

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2007, 06:09:37 PM »
Wal Mart has been know to offer for sale "factory second" rifles to the public without disclosing them as such.
What is your source or reference for that? Please let us know which of our manufacturers is unwise enough to let "factory second" firearms out the door to be sold by ANY retailer.
And he's dreaming about an intruder or two
And the promise of burglar blood,
And he's yearning to chew on a gangster tattoo
And to hear the proverbial sickening thud...

--Warren Zevon, "Rottweiler Blues," Mutineer c1995

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 09:25:32 PM »

sig22940

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2007, 07:38:41 PM »
Pathfinder, NRANews.com has been talking about Zumbo off and on for a couple of days.  Don't know if they'll have much on it tonight, but it might be worth checking out.  9:00pm to midnight eastern time.  I think the biggest concern was the use of the word "terrorist".  Can't much say I like the idea of someone calling me a terrorist either.

376Steyr

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2007, 06:18:42 AM »
Where are we going?  Maybe this is a sign:  I checked the FNH site (fnhusa.com) and looked at their "precision" rifles.  I counted 26 variations (barrel length, caliber, optic and bipod packages) of their two rifle models.  For those who missed it, these are the current incarnations of the Winchester Model 70, which was discontinued last year.  IIRC, Winchester had 46 models, each in multiple calibers, when the plug was pulled.

I realize there were other factors; old equipment, high labor costs, and licensing agreements in the Model 70 demise, but consider this:  FNH can (apparently) make a profit selling to "shooters" but can't make one selling to "hunters".  How long can an industry last if it insists on losing money on every transaction?

Middle Man

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2007, 08:22:25 AM »
What is your source or reference for that? Please let us know which of our manufacturers is unwise enough to let "factory second" firearms out the door to be sold by ANY retailer.

The source was from a retail dealer I sell to that had his suspicions verified by a former Wal Mart retail sporting goods department employee.  The first specific example I encountered was from three years ago and the rifle in question had an odd serial number prefix stamp.  I do not know how widespread the practice may be as I only know of a scant few real examples.  However, given Wal Mart's (and to be honest many big box retailers) practice of using "gray" electronics and selling powertools with plastic gears rather than the standard metal gears I would not be surprised by anything. 

On the matter of powertools, I have family in the carpentry trade and we have disassembled more than a few drills and saws from big box retailers that bore a cheaper price than those from the independent hardware store and found plastic gears and less copper winding in the motors.  From the outside and the packaging the tools appear identical the differences were on the inside and some slight variations of the product codes buried deep on the outer labels.

McCarthy was right...

Middle Man

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2007, 08:37:55 AM »
Where are we going?  Maybe this is a sign:  I checked the FNH site (fnhusa.com) and looked at their "precision" rifles.  I counted 26 variations (barrel length, caliber, optic and bipod packages) of their two rifle models.  For those who missed it, these are the current incarnations of the Winchester Model 70, which was discontinued last year.  IIRC, Winchester had 46 models, each in multiple calibers, when the plug was pulled.

I realize there were other factors; old equipment, high labor costs, and licensing agreements in the Model 70 demise, but consider this:  FNH can (apparently) make a profit selling to "shooters" but can't make one selling to "hunters".  How long can an industry last if it insists on losing money on every transaction?

I wouldn't say the firearms industry on the whole is losing money on every transaction.  Yes, bolt rifles sales are terribly soft, but as a whole, firearm industry profits are up over the past two plus years.  Compare and contrast Smith & Wesson record profits and Dakota Arms bankruptcy.

The marketing strategy of new calibers to generate new rifle sales has, on the whole, proven to be a boondoggle creating excess inventory all the way up distribution channels.  The firearms industry for years has run the marketing cart before the production horse.  How many new guns have be trolled out only to never be delivered or delivered 12 to 18 months later after interest, demand, and excitement has withered and died?   

McCarthy was right...

Snake45

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2007, 09:48:31 AM »
The source was from a retail dealer I sell to that had his suspicions verified by a former Wal Mart retail sporting goods department employee.  The first specific example I encountered was from three years ago and the rifle in question had an odd serial number prefix stamp. 
Walmart retail store department employee? Now THERE's a definitive source of information.  ::)

This rumor surfaces on the boards every so often and is usually tracked to a "mom & pop" gun shop owner or employee somewhere who is saying it for rather obvious reasons of self-interest.

Now think about this for a second: Why on earth would Ruger, Remington, Marlin, etc. sell known "seconds" to Walmart for retail, when anyone with half a brain would realize that those guns will circulating for DECADES. No one is going to remember "My Walmart rifle was junk," they're going to remember "My RUGER rifle was junk." And so is the guy HE sells it to, and the guy HE sells it to, and so on.

You say you have knowledge of an odd serial number prefix stamp. Let's have some details--make, model, and the odd prefix itself. Let's see if we can track this down as TRUE or FALSE.

Rumor don't get it. 
And he's dreaming about an intruder or two
And the promise of burglar blood,
And he's yearning to chew on a gangster tattoo
And to hear the proverbial sickening thud...

--Warren Zevon, "Rottweiler Blues," Mutineer c1995

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk