Author Topic: National Day of the Cowboy  (Read 2017 times)

Dakotaranger

• Happiness is a 1911 in your hand
  • Top Forum Member
    • Dakotaranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
National Day of the Cowboy
« on: July 25, 2008, 11:43:03 PM »
http://www.nationaldayofthecowboy.com/

Saturday is the National Day of the Cowboy. This holiday celebrates the heritage of the rugged individualist that kept this nation fed during the latter part of the 19th Century and celebrates those of us that keep to the old ways of who we are as a people.

A ranch back in the old days was a true melting pot since 1 in 3 were white, which means that there were Indians, Mexicans, and African-Americans that punched cattle. The old timers were tough where they had deal with all sorts of weather, stampedes, no sleep, and months in the saddle all for about $30 a month. They never stopped until the job was done.

The cowboy is a great symbol of who we are as a people, representing the best of who we are, looking out for our neighbor and doing the right thing.

People that honor our heritage:

SASS or Single Action Shooting Society. Member dress period and shoot tactical matches with period style firearms.

Rodeo cowboys of both the traditional and ranch variety.

And of course Ghost Towns.

So to celebrate this holiday, watch a western, go to a SASS match, or go to a rodeo and eat a steak.

"One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to George Washington, 1796

tombogan03884

Re: National Day of the Cowboy
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 11:52:35 PM »
Only slightly related, but interesting. At the time Cowboys were earning $30/ month (and room and board) the top of the line "tactical" rifle was the Henry repeating rifle, it cost about $30, The top of the line nowadays is the AR or M 1 A
they sell for around $1500, That is about what a machine operator (me ) makes per month.
My point is that the numbers are bigger but the ACTUAL cost, as in labor required, is the same. Then and now a top of the line rifle costs a blue collar worker a months pay regardless of the number. That's inflation.

gunman1911

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger Emeritus
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: National Day of the Cowboy
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 11:01:38 AM »
Before WWII  my father worked as a cowboy in Montana and told me how busting a bronc would take longer than 8 seconds and that riding a bull was just crazy and served no purpose other than getting you self killed but none the less I still enjoy a good rodeo and watching the talented riders round barrels , stay on longer than 8 seconds and show he bull no fear. Also my hats of who still ride the plains to bring us the beef . Now that's hard work! As my Dad would say YEEEE HAWWW!
Back up guns---Better to have and not need than to need and not have!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk