Author Topic: Ransom Rest  (Read 3091 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
Ransom Rest
« on: July 10, 2016, 04:17:08 PM »
One advantage to belonging a club is some of the equipment they have available.

Checked out the Ransom rest and tested my SW929, Glock and SW686 loads.    I was fortunate in that the club had inserts for these.    What I determined is my 125gr loads for my 686's are just fine.  3-4" groups at 50yds.    124gr 9mm loads pretty much suck with both the Glock and the revolver.  147gr loads whether commercial ammo or my handloads works much better.

The club has a major I beam planted in the ground and a fixed target stand, lined up with it at 50yds.  The Ransom rest only has a limited amount of lateral movement.     It is a little tricky getting a moon clip into the cylinder, but a little jostling and it'll go in.   With the G17, the magazine is a tight fit because the rest is squeezing the grip.

If you're thinking of buying one, the rest w/ lateral adjustment base is $582 and inserts are about $60 for each model gun.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 877
Re: Ransom Rest
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 07:34:17 PM »
Great information, and a fun experiment I'm sure.

You may want to invest in some half moon or even two round clips for this.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 07:40:10 PM »
Great information, and a fun experiment I'm sure.

You may want to invest in some half moon or even two round clips for this.

It was fun, though time consuming.   Great idea about the half-moon, or 2 round clips.

However, it only confirmed what I already knew.   And while the data is a little more refined than my holding the gun over a sandbag, I don't think it's worth the effort to do it again. 

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 877
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 09:44:18 PM »
The thing I notice is that the same short circuit that resides in the minds of some of us who enjoy reloading because of all the fine details, is the mental quirk that makes us do stuff like this and verify it different ways - sandbags, ransom rests, and then fourteen different shooting styles to figure out exactly what we are doing wrong and how to correct or eliminate it.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk