Author Topic: 300 Blackout question  (Read 12546 times)

robheath

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
300 Blackout question
« on: January 01, 2012, 09:09:24 PM »
I hope I don't sound stupid asking this but here it goes.  I'm going to build a 300 Blackout.  If I should put a mag loaded with the 30 cal. ammo in my 5.56.  ( wait for it )  Will the gun go into battery??  I also wonder the other way around.  I guess the 5.56 round would just bounce around the barrel as it heads to the muzzle.  Would the 5.56 case split or would it be worse than that?? Just decided to look like a moron and ask.  Be gentile please  :P
Give me liberty or I'll get my guns and get it myself.

tombogan03884

Re: 300 Blackout question
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 09:16:09 PM »
I do not know.
BUT
I understand the  .300 case is somewhat shorter than the .223  so either one could be a very bad thing.
Both will at best create a jam.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1110
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 09:46:04 PM »
The .223 will not fit in the .300BLK and it looks like the .300 will not quite chamber in the .223.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

bafsu92

• Top Forum Member
  • Si vis Pacem, Para bellum
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 07:16:15 PM »
The 300 will not come close to chambering in a 5.56 rifle which is very good safety wise. On the other hand 5.56 will come very close to chambering in a 300 barrel but it will not go into full battery. Safety wise even if it did the bullet would just come bouncing out like you said but I'm sure it wouldn't be the best thing for your barrel.
Cogito, ergo armatum sum

"Capitalization is the difference between helping
your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse." - Unknown

"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous liberal press,which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Unknown

robheath

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 07:38:37 PM »
Thanks guys... I was concerned bscause everything is the same except the barrel.  Same mags, same bolt and carrier... Seems extra caution may be needed.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 08:16:03 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 07:42:44 PM »
Thanks guys... I was concerned bscause everything is the same except the barrel.  Same mags, same bolt and carrier... Seems extra caution may be needed.

Something like only using P mags for .300 and only using Mil Surp aluminum for 5.56

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 08:25:52 PM »
Something like only using P mags for .300 and only using Mil Surp aluminum for 5.56

+1

Or the o' blue masking tape, wrapped around the base,....or green masking tape for the other.. There is a way to easily discern loaded mags.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

bafsu92

• Top Forum Member
  • Si vis Pacem, Para bellum
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 08:52:26 PM »
When I get a chance I'll take some pics of what I did. I dedicated all my FDE P-Mags to 300aac. I then took some number stickers and put "300" on the bottom 3rd of all the mags. I taped off the rest so there is just a small stripe exposed about 1/4" above and below the 300 stickers. I then shot them with flat black duracoat and took off all the tape and stickers. I basically have a 1.5" black band around the bottom of the FDE P-Mags with 300 in the stripe in FDE. It looks really good and reminds me what they're for. When I shot grendel I used all Foliage P-mags for it and had a little blue "G" on those mags.
Cogito, ergo armatum sum

"Capitalization is the difference between helping
your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse." - Unknown

"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous liberal press,which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Unknown

robheath

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 05:13:50 PM »
When I get a chance I'll take some pics of what I did. I dedicated all my FDE P-Mags to 300aac. I then took some number stickers and put "300" on the bottom 3rd of all the mags. I taped off the rest so there is just a small stripe exposed about 1/4" above and below the 300 stickers. I then shot them with flat black duracoat and took off all the tape and stickers. I basically have a 1.5" black band around the bottom of the FDE P-Mags with 300 in the stripe in FDE. It looks really good and reminds me what they're for. When I shot grendel I used all Foliage P-mags for it and had a little blue "G" on those mags.

That sounds cool.  Post some pics so i can steal your idea... ;D ;D

Tyler Durden

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 09:40:00 PM »
on another forum I saw pics of a KABOOMED! AR.  I guess it was  either the .300 Blackout stuck in a 5.56 AR.

I can track down the pics if you really want me to.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk