Author Topic: Just back from the range.  (Read 3669 times)

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Just back from the range.
« on: June 22, 2008, 09:10:58 PM »
I just got back from a .22lr carbine match at my local club, held after the steel plate pistol match which I did not attend. Those of you who have read me know, that I used to compete weekly, but for the past 6 years, have hardly gone at all.

It was fun, but the criteria I as given was not quite true, I was told it was 10 round friendly so 10/22's could compete, and yes it was, except they had +20 round stages, and I had only 2, 10 round mags, for my CZ upper for my AR15, No Sniveling, I just shot the match and had to reload 2 - 4 rounds from my pocket to finish 2 stages. This did slow me down, but is real life training, under the clock. The last stage was under 20 rounds, but shot twice, and I had enough mags to compete and won the last stage.

This follows the competing versus training thread. I came to a gunfight ( metaphorically ) with 2 mags and 20 rounds, but loose ammo in the pocket. Solve the problem with the tools you have.  I even got style points for putting the old mag in my teeth, due to mandatory reloads when I still had rounds left in the old mag, that I reloaded with later. Style points are not real points, just someone noticing that it was cool.

Lesson: I came to the match, under equipped, but took the attitude, this is the girl I brung and we're gonna dance. How many of us go out in the world, with 1 or 2 mags and a pocket full of shells. Be solution oriented, and do the best with what you have.

By the way, does anyone have some cz v22 mags for sale? ;)

" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 84
Re: Just back from the range.
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 09:24:19 PM »
Cool. And damn fine work. As the Magpul site says occasionally, when the SHTF, style fails and image is forgotten - character comes to the fore.

<edit> Wouldn't you know it, just as I went to the Magpul site to look for the quote, it popped up. Here it is. BTW, if you haven't just sat and watched this site, they have some excellent quote and great photos (like this one) of our young men and women protecting us.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 09:29:35 PM »
+1

The mind of the shooter makes the difference. McGyver would be proud, so would Gunny Highway, overcome and adapt!

Congratulations. Sounds like a heck of a day. Keep on dancin'

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 01:35:58 PM »
Very good points indeed, another thing to consider is the no mag. no shoot pistols , I would like to hand load and shoot if I lost the mag. The FTF drills are very important also. What is that saying "good luck favors the prepared mind" or somethin like that. ;D
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 02:25:34 PM »
At a match long ago, in a place far away, we were doing a strong hand only, empty gun, empty mag stage. While most of us laid the pistol down, muzzle down range and stuck our mags between our knees and loaded them, one of our local Dallas PD's finest, just started single loading his 1911, and firing, after the fact it really made sense, He was back in the fight quicker, and He did win that stage.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 11:07:26 AM »

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 09:16:13 PM »
There was a phrase or a dance called the shuck and jive,... Handloading a 1911, under pressure sounds like a hell of a drill, no mag pocket full of shells, now I have another drill to practice.

Like the Boy Scouts;,,, Be Prepared.
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk