Author Topic: Hollow Point Ammunition Is Good To Go Against Muslim Jihadists  (Read 8889 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1111
Re: Hollow Point Ammunition Is Good To Go Against Muslim Jihadists
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 03:03:39 PM »
Don't snipers use hollow point match ammo in their rifles? I haven't heard anyone complaining about that.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 03:11:37 PM »
Gooks in Vietnam ran around shirtless. Towelheads in Iraq and Afghanistan wore little more than a thin layer of linen. High performance expanding pistol ammo would have been a better choice in either case. Same in the whole South Pacific Theater in WW II. Our guys were never even given the option.

Jim Kennedy-ar154me

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1448
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2017, 03:26:21 PM »
Just have to remember to fill the hollow point with Bacon grease.

I do so wish we had the equivalent of a like button!!!  Like, Like, Like !!!!!!
The time for action is upon us and the enemy is at our gates. Let us not allow them one more inch of advancement but instead throw them through the gates of Hell.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 583
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2017, 06:26:05 AM »
Don't snipers use hollow point match ammo in their rifles? I haven't heard anyone complaining about that.

"Open tip" as opposed to "hollow point". 

That tripped me up. 

It is the way it's built and/or purposed to improve accuracy.  In the barrier blind SOST ammo the open tip is used to penetrate glass, etc.  with less defection.  That's not to say in the 62 grain MK318 MOD 0 / 5.56 SOST doesn't get a "boost" on target because of the open tip.

A friend of mine who is a trainer was actually in on trials for the SOST and uses it for deer hunting. 

Just my 2 cents....
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

tombogan03884

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2017, 06:29:04 AM »
Bill, time to throw away those Hollyweird DVD's.
The Japanese in the Pacific were equipped just like US troops, or any other army in the entire world.
In fact, people who were there claim some of their gear was better than ours.
What you say about "gooks" may have been occasionally true about the VC, (doubtful in a land of thorns and malaria, but possible) but after Feb 68 there was no VC there were only NVA, and again, they were equipped just like every other army in the world and again some of their gear was considered better than ours.
Do you want to gear up to fight the last war ?
Or would you prefer to be ready for whatever the FUTURE might hold ?
That requires bullets, including pistol caliber, that will penetrate light cover, like you know,  brush, cuz we might possibly fight somewhere other than a freaking desert.

Sponsor

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2017, 07:14:49 AM »
Bill, time to throw away those Hollyweird DVD's.
The Japanese in the Pacific were equipped just like US troops, or any other army in the entire world.
In fact, people who were there claim some of their gear was better than ours.
What you say about "gooks" may have been occasionally true about the VC, (doubtful in a land of thorns and malaria, but possible) but after Feb 68 there was no VC there were only NVA, and again, they were equipped just like every other army in the world and again some of their gear was considered better than ours.
Do you want to gear up to fight the last war ?
Or would you prefer to be ready for whatever the FUTURE might hold ?
That requires bullets, including pistol caliber, that will penetrate light cover, like you know,  brush, cuz we might possibly fight somewhere other than a freaking desert.

My point is how many battles have we fought in recent history, have been negatively effected by lack of penetration, or because the opponent wore body armor? Especially regarding handgun ammunition. Yeah, there were some in the Korean Conflict. But all of those were due to lack of power of the round itself. (.30 M1 Carbine round in Korea). Or else other small caliber, low powered rounds like the .38 Long Colt in the Moro Rebellion. But none of that had to do with defeating body armor. A bad round is a bad round. Even today.

Pistol calibers like the 9 MM have seen drastic man stopping improvement with modern expanding ammunition. There is no question of this. No pistol round will defeat modern Kevlar and Ceramic body armor regardless of the bullet used. So the question then becomes why use FMJ if it won't either? How many enemy soldiers in recent battles have escaped death or injury, because they were wearing body armor, or even heavy clothing?

It's no different with a cop shooting at a bad guy in Duluth, Minnesota in January with his service pistol. He's not going to use FMJ to get through Winter clothing. He'll use the same high performance, hollow point pistol ammunition a cop in Phoenix uses in June. In most every case that will be high performance, expanding ammunition of some type.

tombogan03884

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2017, 08:17:28 AM »
Right off the top of my head I would say the failure of .45 sub guns to penetrate jungle growth in the Pacific, or the same problem with 5.56 in Vietnam.

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2017, 04:53:40 PM »
billt. I believe the now defunct KTM/KTW? round would defeat non ceramic body armor-Kevlar.  That was the problem when it came out.  It was called the cop killer even though it had never been used against a cop.  I'm sure the technology is out there to reproduce that round and more.

FYI

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2017, 05:43:26 PM »
billt. I believe the now defunct KTM/KTW? round would defeat non ceramic body armor-Kevlar.
Richard

I remember those. Weren't they Teflon coated or some such?

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2017, 05:44:53 PM »
The teflon coating was to protect the barrel of the gun firing the round,had nothing to do with it's ability to go through a ballistic vest.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk