Author Topic: off grid construction advice?  (Read 4249 times)

bigfatguy

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
off grid construction advice?
« on: March 07, 2014, 04:25:08 PM »
I'm somewhere near #338. Recently, MB mentioned the new secret hidden bunker would be totally off-grid.

I'm planning to move from CA to the united States when I retire and build something similar... Any advice? Any recommended products? Anything you'd avoid If you were to do it again?

Thanks...

JC5123

• Top Forum Member
  • Fortune sides with him who dares.
  • Liked:
Re: off grid construction advice?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 05:32:37 PM »
Start from scratch and hire it done. I'm taking an existing home and converting it. Yes I have a huge advantage that all I really HAVE to do is get off the power grid, but converting an existing home is a serious PITA. Especially when you are trying to do as much as you can yourself.
I am a member of my nation's chosen soldiery.
God grant that I may not be found wanting,
that I will not fail this sacred trust.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 582
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 09:33:29 PM »
1.  Consider propane.  Not only can you heat your home, heat your water and cook your food with it....you can purchase lights for the home as well as refrigerators and freezers which run on propane.  If there is an EMP event you will have a definite leg up....put a couple of thousand gallons in below grade tanks and it will serve you well.  The refrigerators use about 0.7 to 1.0 gallons a day or about $2/day if you don't fill in the dead of winter.

2.   Get a slow speed "Lister type" diesel engine to drive a generator.  Listers are EMP proof because they are mechanically fueled, ignited and have mechanical speed controls....just buy a couple of extra generator heads for $300 or so and put them below ground so they will survive an EMP.  Low, low, low maintenance and very easy to repair.  The EPA has outlawed them for sale but...you can buy an "air compressor" and then convert it to run.  They run on used French fry grease too.  Gasoline, natural gas and propane units cost too much to run more than a short period....plus unlike gasoline, the diesel won't go bad when stored for intermediate time periods.  The natural gas, butane and propane units are high speed and have more maintenance than the Lister (oil changes, electronic ignitions, etc.) but a lot less than an gas motor that is not run regularly. 

3.  Get a 1990's version diesel truck that has mechanical injectors...survive that EMP we hope never comes. 
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 09:57:03 PM »
Built several off grid cabins over the years.  Tons of options and costs.  Any idea on where you are planning on moving? Thats really step one, every thing will depend in that.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 03:49:30 PM »
I saw a thread, somewhere in my sickness inspired web-surfing, about using a steam engine to run a generator as well.  Any type of heat source will run it including geothermal, biomass, methane, etc... pretty easy to maintain too.
He who dares wins.  SAS

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 10:27:09 AM »

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 04:17:38 PM »
You really don't want to use generators unless you have too.   You eant passive means of rechargung your battery bank. 

bigfatguy

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 07:11:05 PM »
We're about 15+ years from retiring, but Arizona looks good... We've got a few places we like, need to make a few more trips to choose before we buy any land... Plenty of sun and wind, though... No shortage of passive power sources...

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 08:33:24 PM »
I highly recomend bend or, I played from sacramento to here, I love it.  Weather is great, just not much employment. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk