Author Topic: How Obama got his election money  (Read 2332 times)

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
How Obama got his election money
« on: January 18, 2009, 10:45:33 AM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/01/17/AR2009011702520.html

As inaugural donations become public, a list of Obama's most loyal backers has emerged, pointing to his success with a system that allows supporters to give maximum amounts on several occasions and to multiple committees.

The families gave to as many as five committees, records show, and 27 of the 94 families also bundled money from others, collecting millions of dollars on top of their personal donations.

The $100,000 group stands in stark contrast to the grass-roots campaign that Obama's team has waged over the Internet, through which small donors, giving $200 or less, made up about a quarter of Obama's campaign revenue. Small donors are still receiving e-mails directing them to the inaugural Web site, where they are asked for contributions of $5 and where 10 people just won free trips to the inauguration in an essay contest.

Many big donors will also watch Obama be sworn in next week, but from premium seats, and will attend an inaugural ball and other private celebrations using tickets they received in exchange for their donations.

High-profile donors include Hollywood director Steven Spielberg and his wife, actress Kate Capshaw, who gave $163,900, and baseball Hall of Famer Ernie Banks and his wife, Liz, who donated $111,600.

Twelve members of the Rockefeller extended family gave a total of $316,000. Hotel magnate and former Maryland lawmaker Stewart Bainum Jr. and 13 members of his family gave $236,000.

The ability to direct such large sums to a presidential candidate stems in part from the 2002 McCain-Feingold campaign finance legislation.

Under the law, the maximum amount an individual can give in a presidential election year has gone from $25,000 to $70,100 over the past five years. And by creating joint fundraising committees -- allowing donors to give the maximum to all three funding pools at once -- campaigns have become much more efficient in collecting the donations.
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

runstowin

• Thomas Jefferson: “Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just”
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: How Obama got his election money
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 04:51:36 PM »
The ability to direct such large sums to a presidential candidate stems in part from the 2002 McCain-Feingold campaign finance legislation.

Two parties, one purpose.
Rights are like muscles, when they are not exercised they atrophy.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 05:13:41 PM »
and thats diffrent from how the GOP does things how?
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

brosometal

• Top Forum Member
  • Still a Grade A 1 smart donkey! DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 10:33:12 PM »
McCain was hoisted on his own petard.  Just think.  He and Mr. Feingold's  legislation was formed to get the evil money out of politics.  (In my best Yoda voice) The irony is strong in this one. 

Yet another example of government's inability to work as promised.  I believe there is a lesson in there somewhere. ???
The person who has nothing for which his is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
- J.S. Mill

Thanos

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 11:38:11 PM »
McCain was hoisted on his own petard.  Just think.  He and Mr. Feingold's  legislation was formed to get the evil money out of politics.  (In my best Yoda voice) The irony is strong in this one. 
I believe there is a lesson in there somewhere. ???

Yeah, the lesson is never make a deal that will screw you too. It is like Israel saying "Okay, we will give up our guns, but Hamas has to promise to also." and then actually doing it.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:22:29 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk