Author Topic: Bush springs drug dealers, lets 2 border agents rot  (Read 7544 times)

runstowin

• Thomas Jefferson: “Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just”
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Bush springs drug dealers, lets 2 border agents rot
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2009, 01:43:13 PM »
From How Stuff Works:

Commutation vs. Pardon
Commuting is the act of reducing a sentence. A president has the ability to commute a sentence before it's even begun.

A full pardon can do the same thing -- it can also reduce a sentence. But more commonly a pardon is granted after a person serves his prison sentence. And unlike a commutation, a pardon can absolve the person of his status as a convicted criminal and restore his civil abilities.

http://people.howstuffworks.com/presidential-pardon1.htm
Rights are like muscles, when they are not exercised they atrophy.

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2009, 03:27:42 PM »
Commuted is different then a pardon..... basically it means they are still guilty of a crime, but they dont have to serve anymore time.

Actually, the story I read said they stay in until March 20 - don't know why. Should have been time served IMHO.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 887
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2009, 03:40:59 PM »
Yep ... And I think that is why they aren't out today but need to be processed through.  As I understand it could take a couple months.  However, the good news is that they are getting out.

If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk