Author Topic: Weapons light for M4  (Read 9121 times)

ratcatcher55

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Weapons light for M4
« on: December 17, 2008, 03:08:32 PM »
I need a recommendation on a weapons light for a FNG Cav Scout's Christmas gift.

No Toys, No works in my basement recommendations please.

Thanks,

Ratcatcher 55

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1111
Re: Weapons light for M4
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 07:02:36 PM »
Surefire. How to feel about vertical grips? http://www.surefire.com/VerticalForegripWeaponLights
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

jnevis

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 07:47:56 PM »
I have a Surefire G2 on a mount from CAA and a pressure switch from TacStar. Whole deal was about $100 from Brownells.  Some people don't like the TacStar switch as it eventaully breaks, but at $20-30 I can get a whole box for the price of the same Surefire part ($130).  Would I take it to the sand box?  Probably, with some spares.  Haven't had a chance to really beat it to death but it has held up well so far.

If he's Cav Scout he'll be in and out of vehicles a lot, so anything that hangs up will be BAD.  The remote switch's cord can be run under the handguard to get it out of the way.  If he's got the quad rail M4, Falcon (ErgoGrip) makes a rail cover that holds a remote switch better than just the tape they come with.  Old bicycle inner tubes cut into small strips work good too if it's on a foregrip.

I have, and will probably remove, a verticle foregrip.  I tend to hold the mag well and mag instead, even with the grip in place.  Makes mag changes a little faster too.  Some people swear by them though. 

Tell him to stay safe and best wishes from here.
When seconds mean the difference between life and death, the police will be minutes away.

You are either SOLVING the problem, or you ARE the problem.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 583
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 08:45:42 AM »
Whatever you get you should consider how it activates.  Think along the lines..."opposites attract".

If it's a pressure switch on a grip used by the left hand (right hand shooter slant here) beware actuation with the 1st finger (OK...whatever mirrors your trigger finger..) as you can get a sympathetic reaction in your real trigger finger from actuating with your left hand "trigger" finger. 

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

jnevis

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 09:06:29 AM »
Whatever you get you should consider how it activates.  Think along the lines..."opposites attract".

If it's a pressure switch on a grip used by the left hand (right hand shooter slant here) beware actuation with the 1st finger (OK...whatever mirrors your trigger finger..) as you can get a sympathetic reaction in your real trigger finger from actuating with your left hand "trigger" finger. 

That's part of the reason I am taking the foregrip off.  If I hold the rifle high on the mag well my thumb is on the switch mounted on the handguard.  The forefrip screwed up my normal grip and made activation difficult/unreliable.
When seconds mean the difference between life and death, the police will be minutes away.

You are either SOLVING the problem, or you ARE the problem.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 10:47:05 AM »

ratcatcher55

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 09:31:18 AM »
Thanks for the replies.

I think the Surefire is the way to go. I had a Streamlight mount on my weapon and it would not take the beating in the field.
I modified it to take a G2 but the pressure switch was too delicate.

We'll take a trip to Clarksville and pick one up for him.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas

JohnZ

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 07:36:37 AM »
Cant go wrong with a G2 LED in a VLTOR scout mount.

HAWKFISH

• Top Forum Member
  • One thing I've learned. **"It's hit or be hit."**
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 06:31:08 PM »
I've got a Surefire 6P rigged up.. simply but effective if needed in middle of the night.

Malvolio2

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 12:39:19 PM »
I personally am really fond of the Streamlight TLR1 mounted via GG&G forearm mounting rail at the 1 o'clock position (I'm a lefty) all the way to the front of a carbine forend. That rocker switch is much more natural for me to activate than a tailcap switch and I don't have to bother with tape switches. This should work for a right hand shooter at the 11 o'clock position, but the rocker would be reversed. Even if you get a G2, the GG&G product is worth looking into, in my opinion.

ratcatcher55

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 11:35:02 AM »
I personally am really fond of the Streamlight TLR1 mounted via GG&G forearm mounting rail at the 1 o'clock position (I'm a lefty) all the way to the front of a carbine forend. That rocker switch is much more natural for me to activate than a tailcap switch and I don't have to bother with tape switches. This should work for a right hand shooter at the 11 o'clock position, but the rocker would be reversed. Even if you get a G2, the GG&G product is worth looking into, in my opinion.

Thanks. I shoot from the "correct"side as well. GG&G does seem to make pretty good gear.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk