Author Topic: Walk-in gun vault designs / plans?  (Read 45099 times)

kilopaparomeo

• Top Forum Member
  • My own private purgatory...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Walk-in gun vault designs / plans?
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2010, 04:12:48 PM »
I really appreciate everyone's open dialog on this. 

In the end, I have the dream of having a kick@$$ walk in gun vault that houses everything I own in a secure, fireproof and OPEN area.  Some of it is for practical purposes and some of it is vain...I'd just really like one.  That said, I'm learning a ton from this thread and will certainly go as far a pricing out what it will take.

If the cost becomes prohibitive, I'll probably move to getting a couple of really good 45 gun safes and put the "good stuff" in there.  Everything else that can be replaced easily (generic Remchesters) can go in the lesser safes / storage boxes.

Again, thanks guys.

KPR out.
NRA Endowment Life Member
SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
Ultima Ratio Civis - "The last method of a citizen"

Tyler Durden

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2010, 05:02:09 PM »
I'll send you a PM.

blackwolfe

• A Simple Man
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2010, 01:28:43 PM »
You could always go the billt Greenlee route.

http://www.downrange.tv/forum/index.php?topic=7060.0
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. "    Abraham Lincoln

Wolfe

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2010, 04:09:29 PM »
You could always go the billt Greenlee route.

http://www.downrange.tv/forum/index.php?topic=7060.0

I'm finding out that whatever "safe" you buy, it isn't big enough, and fills up too fast. That, and you start running out of places to put them. I'm in the same boat as kilopaparomeo. No basements here in Arizona. Going the cast concrete wall route you have to be sure of the footing that will support it. That means possibly drilling down to pour solid footings to build on. That gets real expensive, real fast. Plus, in a subdivision you might as well put up a sign in your front yard that says, "A lot of valuables will be kept here!" You'll be the talk of the town no matter if you like it or not.

That in itself causes break ins. Word of mouth is your biggest danger in owning guns. Not to mention the talk the permits would generate from local building inspectors at the local bars on Friday night. Never underestimate how much people talk about you, or what you have. All it takes is one wrong person to hear it. Nothing will generate more talk to the wrong people than a teenage daughter who brings a lot of boys over to your house. They see everything, and talk to everyone. Boys and guns generate way too much inquisitiveness. It not if, but when you'll get hit. I'm lucky in that regard, we have no children and entertain very little, if at all.

The biggest problem with gun collections is you acquire them over the span of many years. A bit like growing out of your pants. By the time you notice it, you have no more room. I think the best protection at this stage of the game is just to stay home! Besides it's cheaper!   ;D  Bill T.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2010, 04:15:48 PM »
Maybe a ditch, concertina wire and a couple of fifty gallon drums of Foo Gas? A lot cheaper and no permit recquired! ;D
FQ13

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 10:13:23 AM »

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2010, 04:50:22 PM »
Maybe a ditch, concertina wire and a couple of fifty gallon drums of Foo Gas? A lot cheaper and no permit recquired! ;D
FQ13

What's "Foo Gas"? Styrofoam and gasoline?   Bill T.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Pikuptruk

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2018, 11:00:54 PM »
I am chiming in on this thread just because I stumbled across it... I will probably start a new one;

Does anyone have any pictures of their process and finalized vault?

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 583
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2018, 06:23:08 AM »
Not a bad thread to restart...I've gotten to the point where I need another gun safe.  Maybe I need to include a walk-in safe with a remodel...
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2018, 08:26:58 AM »
not a vault, but I'll throw this out... one friend built a hidden end to his leisure room... steel studs, with steel pipe between studs every 10" or so... inside the pipe were short pieces of cold rolled steel, separated by ball bearings  designed to roll if attacked by chain saw or hack saw... the door was concealed as the entire end of the room was done in a shake shingle pattern that camouflaged the entrance

second friend built his into his cedar closet, but used a hidden magnetic switch to activate a solenoid to release the door.... just touch the wall in a certain spot with a magnet, and the door would pop open... he was a registered safe opener/locksmith and believed that out of sight was the better option than physical security

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk