Author Topic: Winchester mod 94 question.  (Read 9533 times)

tombogan03884

Winchester mod 94 question.
« on: October 23, 2015, 06:16:22 AM »
A friend of mine who knows I'm into guns has a Winchester 94 problem.
Put the safety on and pull the trigger, the hammer drops to the half cock position.
Take the safety off pull the trigger, same thing.
Hammer stops about a 1/4 -1/2 inch from the firing pin.
Looking into the gap I can see a metal block and what looks like the end of some sort of catch below that.
I now squat about lever actions so I'm asking the "Brain trust", what's the problem, and how do you fix it ?

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 877
Re: Winchester mod 94 question.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 07:45:09 AM »
It sounds like what you are seeing is the Locking Bolt.  Captured in the top of the Locking Bolt is the Firing Pin Striker. 

My first action, if it were mine would be to start with a VERY thorough cleaning.  It could be gummed parts not engaging or moving freely (a crudded and stuck striker would stop the hammer and not fire).  At this time, also inspect for wear and breaks.

This could be a one part issue of a broken cross bolt safety that is blocking the hammer all the time, or it may be multiple issues, as in safety and either broken or stuck striker.

Even though I am known to say that cleaning guns is highly overrated, this is a time to slowly and methodically do a good cleaning and inspection, part by part.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

tombogan03884

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 07:53:15 AM »
Thanks M58.
Is disassembly fairly straight forward ?
Something that can be done by some one with NO experience with Winchester, or should I send him to a pro ?
I owe him a bigger favor than just trouble shooting will account for.

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 10:11:31 AM »
I've seen some 94 disassembly stuff on the interweb. When I'm diving into the unknown hardware I watch a few videos and take the most sensible info from each.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1103
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 03:01:13 PM »
YouTube has dis-assembly and reassembly videos for the M94AE (Angle Eject) and older M94s too. Plus I found a page that takes you through it step by step. http://www.castbullet.com/misc/tdown.htm
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:53:40 PM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 03:54:18 PM »
Thank you. I knew I'd get the answers I needed.

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 06:27:01 PM »
Might want to PM Michael Bane directly and ask him.  Maybe Marshal also.

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 06:31:12 PM »
Tom,

I believe you have your answer already, but I believe that you would have the skills needed if you utilize the web, take your time and be observant, and have an organized work area.  Dang!  If a guy like me can to a Ruger MarkIII, you can do this  ;)
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

tombogan03884

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2015, 06:12:54 AM »
Might want to PM Michael Bane directly and ask him.  Maybe Marshal also.

Richard

I didn't want to bother MB since he's juggling so many commitments while glimpsing, and Marshal and M'ette are busy with a competition in Branson Mo.

Tom,

I believe you have your answer already, but I believe that you would have the skills needed if you utilize the web, take your time and be observant, and have an organized work area.  Dang!  If a guy like me can to a Ruger MarkIII, you can do this  ;)

Your faith in me is touching.
Or is it that you're just touched ? LOL

Thanks again all .

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2015, 09:48:33 AM »
I didn't want to bother MB since he's juggling so many commitments while glimpsing, and Marshal and M'ette are busy with a competition in Branson Mo.

Your faith in me is touching.
Or is it that you're just touched ? LOL

Thanks again all .

Crown!  It is all about the volume of Crown in my system

M'ette seems to have found many suitors in Branson, so I believe Marshal has plenty of time.  As for MB, his only issue these days are the narcotics and other happy pills to deal with the pain  :o

On the topic of narcotics, remember MB's issues with a Dremel, and if he advises it, it is all the drugs talking.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk