Author Topic: US Army XM7 in 6.8 x 51mm (.277 Sig Fury NOT a .277 Fury) The New AR  (Read 948 times)

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 583
Have I been asleep or what?  This 6.8 x 51 mm is one hot round with 80,000 psi chamber pressure.  Designed to defeat body armor on the battlefield.  Stainless steel base coupled to brass bullet via aluminum lock washer...huh??....because plain brass can't take it!  That's going to be some expensive ammo and I wonder if it can be reloaded.

140 grain bullet at 3,000 FPS out of a 16" barrel....whoa, now that's a horse.  This is in the Sig MCX Spear platform which I have not yet fired but I have drooled over. 

Maybe retooling for this is why Lake City isn't selling any civilian overruns now.  Who knows?

Does anyone here have any idea when the MCX Spear in 6.8 x 51 mm will be available to civilians? 
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: US Army XM7 in 6.8 x 51mm (.277 Sig Fury NOT a .277 Fury) The New AR
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2023, 02:09:59 PM »
Probably not in our lifetime.
Lake City canceled civilian sales contracts, I don’t think this was by accident.

The last rumor I read, the hot ammo was supposed to be for issue to use in combat. A lower pressure round was the practice stuff.

My pure wild ass guess is the hot ammo is going to beat that Sig carbine to pieces. Just what you want on a 2 way shooting range!  ::)
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2023, 11:00:47 PM »
The full strength ammo isn't available to civilians.  Nor, I think, the Sig chambered for it. 

I hope the Sig doesn't fall apart on our troops. 

But...one day it will be available to civilians...and I want one!!!

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 457
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2023, 10:57:22 AM »
The full strength ammo isn't available to civilians.

So can I get reloading dies for it?   
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2023, 01:41:43 PM »
Yes but for the .277 Fury but maybe not the.277 Sig Fury.  https://www.natchezss.com/forster-bench-rest-full-length-die-set-277-fury

The Sig Fury is the 80,000 psi and the 277 Fury is the normal 65,000 psi max pressure.

The Sig Fury cartridges may be made of unobtanium right now.

Picture in the article below:
https://www.outdoorlife.com/story/guns/rise-of-the-270s-rifle-ammo/

Sponsor

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1111
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2023, 12:59:26 AM »
While you're waiting, you can buy a 7.62x51 mm pistol version with a 13" barrel that only weighs 0.1 pounds more than an M16A2 or M16A4 with a 20" barrel. I wonder which one would be more effective at any range beyond a stone's throw?
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1111
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2023, 01:28:40 AM »
Am I the only one who thinks the .276 Pedersen or .276 Enfield should have been adopted a century ago? Or the .280 British at the end of WWII? I think it would have saved us a lot of trouble, switching from .30-06 to 7.62x51mm, to 5.56x45mm, almost to 6.8 Remington SPC (.277x43mm), to .277 Fury or 6.8×51mm Common Cartridge.

The .276 Enfield (7×60mm), designed in 1912, with a 165 gr. bullet at 2,785 ft/s developed 2,842 ft⋅lbs of energy at the muzzle. That's more powerful than the 7.62x51mm with a 147 gr. bullet at 2,800 ft/s developing 2,559 ft⋅lbs at the muzzle. A heavier bullet with better sectional density, at nearly identical speed and a good 11% more power, all 42 years before the 7.62x51mm was invented. They could have improved the cartridge without changing bullet diameter again and again, and still been using it today.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk