Author Topic: What caliber to shoot Buffalo with?  (Read 9616 times)

Timothy

Re: What caliber to shoot Buffalo with?
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2016, 10:12:40 AM »
Nice to know at least someone knows they're bison, not buffalo!

Kidding, don't bunch up yer panties...

[emoji3]

tombogan03884

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2016, 01:03:55 PM »
Timothy got me curious so I asked.

http://www.differencebetween.net/science/difference-between-bison-and-buffalo/
(it isn't the only difference, just the most noticable)

Appearance
Bison ‘“ have a shaggy winter coat that sheds to create a lighter summer coat. The largest bison can top 6 ½ feet tall, be 10 feet long, and weigh one ton. They have stocky legs and short horns that extend sideways and back from their heads.

Buffalo ‘“ have short, glossy coat. Both varieties are similar in size to the bison, but with much larger horns. Some water buffalo horns have been known to grow up to the entire length of the animal.

Read more: Difference Between Bison and Buffalo | Difference Between http://www.differencebetween.net/science/difference-between-bison-and-buffalo/#ixzz4OUySWks2

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1107
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2016, 02:03:53 PM »
When the white man saw bison they reminded him of buffalo and when he saw pronghorn he thought they looked like antelope. Most people know what you're talking about whether you use the right term or not because they know what's on this continent and what's not. I would go with the .308 if it's not a single shot. You may need a couple of follow up shots. And use the sturdiest bullets you can get at the highest weight available.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

tombogan03884

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2016, 02:40:33 PM »
Frank also triggered curiosity.
According to "difference between" the various antelope of Africa have hollow horns they do not shed.

Ranger Dave

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2016, 09:39:45 PM »
Well it's been a busy day at camp. I was able to check Wal-Mart this morning and all they had was 150gr HP & SP, already head them. I called the local farm & ranch store (Atwoods) they had 168gr HP. I called a friend  in Claremore and asked him to look for ammo for me.  All he could find was 168gr HPBT. So I guess I will be using Winchester 168gr HPBT.

We are supposed to go hunt Monday morning so I will sight in my rifle with the 168's tomorrow.

Appreciate all the advice I will update as things go along

RD

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 06:27:33 PM »

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2016, 12:06:54 PM »
My fear would be that an HP would expand too rapidly before reaching vitals on that type heavy game. Of course, better jacket technology greatly increases weight retention on today's rifle ammo.

Best bet would have been a Barnes or A-Square, but I understand the time factor...so going with what you can get is what you have to do in this case.

All that being said, I would chose BOTH.
Load the .50 with a good heavy bullet and pound him with the first shot, and have the .308 on immediate standby for a follow-up if necessary.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2016, 01:11:54 PM »
Timothy got me curious so I asked.

http://www.differencebetween.net/science/difference-between-bison-and-buffalo/
(it isn't the only difference, just the most noticable)

I thought the MOST noticeable difference was that bison are exclusively a North American ruminate while buffalo are found in Asia and Africa.  (Yeah, I know some have been imported as a food stock and for hunting...  We even have some here in Florida, but they ain't native.)

The ones I came across in Vietnam would work tirelessly for the locals without incident.  But, they would charge, chase and gore any round eye within smelling distance.  Nasty beasties that way.  But, they don't taste bad sliced into steaks and grilled over a wood fire.  Bison tastes better... if you don't overcook it.

Crusader Rabbit
“I’ve lived the literal meaning of the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave.’ It’s not corny for me. I feel it in my heart. I feel it in my chest. Even at a ball game, when someone talks during the anthem or doesn’t take off his hat, it pisses me off. I’m not one to be quiet about it, either.”  Chris Kyle

Timothy

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2016, 04:52:14 PM »
I had a science teacher in the 60's that was as strict on the American Bison and buffalo distinction as our friend Haz is about clips vs magazines!  There was a small herd in north central MI we used to visit regularly on our trips to the deer camp outside Leroy.

I buy bison quite often in our local markets.  Farm raised I'm sure but a nice alternative when done right.

Ranger Dave

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2016, 04:54:12 PM »
Well I went to the farm & ranch store and picked up a box of 168gr. .308 Browning BXC controlled expansion terminal tip. The box claims it's good for elk, moose. mule deer, bear and boar.

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2016, 05:00:38 PM »
I'm no expert, but I would think you would need deep penetration vs. expansion.  The .50 would probably be better for that.  The 168 seems a bit light for me even though it is recommended for Moose and such.

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk