Author Topic: 3 Inch .45 ACP AR-15 Pistol Upper  (Read 5442 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1116
3 Inch .45 ACP AR-15 Pistol Upper
« on: November 07, 2020, 10:50:56 PM »
I saw this 3" .45 ACP AR pistol upper with a 4" M-Lok handguard on sale online a couple of days ago and it made me wonder why anyone would buy it? I have a .45 ACP pistol with a 3" barrel. The overall length is 6.5" and the height is 4.5". By the time you put this upper on a lower you would end up with a pistol about two times as tall and three to four times as long (six to eight times the size). And you would get sub-compact pistol velocity and energy from an SBR size package. That may make some kind of sense but not to me. I just don't get it. If it used at least a 5" or 6" barrel it wouldn't be stupid like a 3" barrel. JMHO. The only advantage I can see is that you could use bigger mags with an AR lower than you can with my pistol, but if you're using Glock mags you could just as well use those in a Glock pistol.

So what do you think? You can't wait to get your new 3" upper? Or like me, you're wondering WTF??? ???
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

BAC

Re: 3 Inch .45 ACP AR-15 Pistol Upper
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2020, 11:28:11 PM »
It would have to be designed from the get-go to be a suppressor host, right?  That would still make it very compact.  Otherwise, like you said, what's the point?

tombogan03884

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2020, 08:51:01 AM »
No place to safely put your support hand. Better off with a real pistol.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2020, 03:49:30 PM »
I agree 100% Tom. My hand is just over 4" wide. The barrel is only 3" long, and part of that length is inside the upper. It didn't take me long to do the math. ;D If it didn't have a 4" handguard and a blast I could see a real problem there. As far as suppressing it goes, maybe if you wanted an overall barrel and suppressor length of 7" or so with one of the mini suppressors it would work. But it would still be bigger and bulkier than a pistol.

ETA: Maybe they made it just because they could, knowing that sooner or later someone is bound to buy it. George Carlin once said something like, if you nail together two pieces of $h!t that have never been nailed together before, some schmuck will buy it. I think we're looking at those two pieces of $h!t right here. Someone will buy it.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

tombogan03884

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2020, 09:28:51 AM »
LOL The Pet Rock proves THAT.    ;D

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:24:34 AM »

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2020, 04:29:56 PM »
I don't see much use in it, myself.

My whole thought process for an AR pistol is to get rifle power in a "slightly smaller than a rifle" package. I'm willing to give up some velocity for the  added power factor and the ability to set someone on fire from across the room.  ;D

Putting a pistol caliber in something that size is a waste of weight....I'd rather carry a regular pistol and make the difference in spare ammo.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 585
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2020, 06:41:03 PM »
I agree with Chuck.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2020, 04:41:57 AM »
3" barrel, 20 round mags. I had to download a program to rotate the 2 images so I could splice them together. There's maybe 1/10" missing where I joined them together but other than that it should be to scale. The barrel in the pic measures 3" on my 24" monitor and that's as close to life size as it gets. Much handier in my opinion.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2020, 05:03:19 AM »
Not a 3" barrel, but 4" .45 ACP barrel is available from Bear Creek Arsenal in case you want to build your own SBR. Here's how ridiculous an AR-15A4 might look with a 4" barrel.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2020, 11:37:15 AM »
 ??? ??? ???
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk