Author Topic: AR-15 To The Leg, (WARNING GRAPHIC!!)  (Read 19189 times)

onrecess

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: AR-15 To The Leg, (WARNING GRAPHIC!!)
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 11:29:58 PM »
A number of deer hunters have stabbed themselves in the groin while skinning deer and severed that artery. They fell down and died without taking a step. Just one more thing to watch out for. There are more ways to die than you can count.
Yep, I read in some shooting mag about a surgeon who did just that and was found still kneeling in front of the deer with his head on the deer. Even he couldn't save himself. You think direct pressure, pinching the artery, SOMETHING... But, no.

Kid Shelleen

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2009, 12:01:13 AM »
No way that is/was a M-16 entry and exit wound!!! Sorry guys, not biting on this one.  ;)
It looks completely legit to me both radiographically and pictorially. The exit wound is large due to the bullet hitting the bone and fragmenting (the bullet did not miss the bone and the very strong distal femur does not generally shatter from shockwaves. Hydrolic shock from high velocity rifle rounds can break bone, typically ribs or other small bones but I don't believe that was the case here). The bullet fragments on the AP & Lateral X-rays are consistent with the bullet track shown in the photos and they appear to have struck and exited the distal femur along that track. There is no problem with the femoral artery. It is more proximal and medial (sorry..higher up and more towards the groin) and it bifurcates (splits) into much smaller vessels before the level of the wound.

A lot of manipulation, a distal plate and a dozen or more screws will fix this guy up. The tiny bullet fragments will be left in place. The wound will be thoroughly washed out (with a neat little high pressure water pistol called a Neptune. The saline solution used for the wash out will contain antibiotics), pulses in the lower leg and foot will be checked, vascular repair will be done if needed (unlikely), the soft tissue, muscle and any severed ligaments or tendons will be sewn up, a drain left in place and the wound closed. He'll be pumped full of antibiotics and he should recover fully. He will have some nasty scars, but with a good orthopedic surgeon he won't have even a slight limp. 100% back to normal. While this looks nasty, many automobile accidents leave the femur in much worse shape. Despite appearances, neither the fractures or the wound are all that bad.

Muscle damage could cause problems. A report says that dead muscle was excised. This should not have occured and would be the result of delayed treatment. In the US, this guy would have been in the OR within 30 to 45 minutes tops from his arrival in the Emergency Department. If available, he would have been initially transported to a Level 1 Trauma Center. He would likely have had an IV inserted, been typed and crossed, the preliminary X-rays would be done and possibly followed by a quick CT. Permits signed and off to the OR.
“What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that the people preserve the spirit of resistance?”

Thomas Jefferson, 1787

True_Texan

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2009, 01:05:26 AM »
...It is more proximal and medial (sorry..higher up and more towards the groin) and it bifurcates (splits) into much smaller vessels before the level of the wound....

Well now you're just showing off. ;D

It's nice to hear from people that know what they are talking about in these sort of things. Nicely explained Kid.

Can say for sure that I wouldn't like to be shot by any kind of projectile stronger then a paintball. Even those I don't care to be shot by. Nasty business, gunshot wounds.
"Before giving someone a piece of your mind, be sure you have enough to spare."

Kid Shelleen

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2009, 01:58:51 AM »
Well now you're just showing off. ;D

It's nice to hear from people that know what they are talking about in these sort of things. Nicely explained Kid.

Can say for sure that I wouldn't like to be shot by any kind of projectile stronger then a paintball. Even those I don't care to be shot by. Nasty business, gunshot wounds.
You said it True. I'll even pass on the paintball from close range.

Just curious, what do you think of the "under powered" AR15 in that wimpy .223?
“What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that the people preserve the spirit of resistance?”

Thomas Jefferson, 1787

True_Texan

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2009, 02:16:08 AM »
You said it True. I'll even pass on the paintball from close range.

Just curious, what do you think of the "under powered" AR15 in that wimpy .223?

I love AR's. So much versatility with them. They are the 10/22 of the center fired world. Every gun person should own at least one.

As far as the wimpy .223, I have never considered it as such. It may be a little light on bullet weight but it does exactly what it was designed to do, impact with high velocity and 'blow up'. As those pictures show, it is pretty damn good at doing just that. It's an accurate round too. Can't ask much more then that especially with the lower overall weight factored in to it.
"Before giving someone a piece of your mind, be sure you have enough to spare."

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 08:04:03 PM »

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2009, 04:37:16 AM »
I really don't see how anyone can doubt this was done by a .223. Look at the way that cartridge literally EXPLODES varmints. Yes, I understand they don't varmint hunt with FMJ bullets, but the Mil-Spec 5.56 load is designed to fragment and tumble upon entry. All of that energy has to go somewhere and do something. No doubt in my mind this is a legit .223 wound.  Bill T.

Rob10ring

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2009, 04:55:42 AM »
Dang! I think I need some mouthwash after that. :-X

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2009, 05:07:52 AM »
I scrolled down and read some replies,...

Like one said,..

If this had been in the upper chest area,,,,there would be no E.R. necessary.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2009, 05:27:24 AM »
Kid, thanks for the explanation of the treatment. If travel wasn't in my future (assuming I actually find a job) I would sign up for the EMT-B class this fall - step 1 in the treatment path.

As for the bone being hit or not - I was going off the comments on the forum from the guy who gave all of the info on the shooting. I will admit that in the back of my mind, as I looked at the X-rays, that it was pretty serious damage for a shock wave. But I gave the guy the benefit of the doubt. And from some of the slo-mo videos of shots in ballistic gel, there is a heck of a shock wave with those things.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

philw

• Top Forum Member
  • Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi
    • Australian Hunting Net
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2009, 06:15:42 AM »
ops

I am guessing a Band-Aid did not fix that 

from my understanding  there was Alcohol involved      so....    I am sorry   no sympathy from me
Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. The only thing you can’t do is ignore them

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk