Author Topic: Ruger .308 Scout Rifle Released!  (Read 58814 times)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 458
Re: Ruger .308 Scout Rifle Released!
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2011, 05:53:40 PM »
"Scout" rifle implies use on the move, Like possibly while "Scouting". The primary use envisioned by previous posters has been hunting, which generally entails a certain amount of movement, at least from vehicle to stand, if not something more. Bearing in mind that most states limit hunting rifles to 5 rounds or less,in which case the magazines are useless, just how much crap do you want to be carrying ?

If you concentrate on what you are carrying instead of how much, you most likely won't lose things like magazines and other essential equipment.   Bill T.

tombogan03884

« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2011, 07:08:19 PM »
If you concentrate on what you are carrying instead of how much, you most likely won't lose things like magazines and other essential equipment.   Bill T.

Which, since I never mentioned loss in my post, this addresses the "wear and tear" aspect how  ?

Overload

• Lefty Expert
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #52 on: January 01, 2011, 10:09:00 PM »
I think we need to be on the same page here.  Full Auto tried summarizing, but didn't go far enough.
WHAT IS A SCOUT RIFLE?
cribbed from Wikipedia:

An unloaded weight, with accessories, of 3 kg (6.6 lbs); with 3.5 kilograms (7.7 lbs) the maximum acceptable.
An overall length of 1 meter (39.4 in.) or less.
A forward-mounted telescopic sight of low magnification, typically 2-3 diameters. This preserves the shooter's peripheral vision, keeps the ejection port open to allow the use of stripper clips to reload the rifle, and eliminates any chance of the scope striking one's brow during recoil. Cooper has stated that a telescopic sight is not mandatory.
Ghost ring auxiliary iron sights: a rear sight consisting of a receiver-mounted large-aperture thin ring, and typically a square post front sight.
A "Ching" or "CW" sling. Against common practice, Cooper advocated the use of a sling as a shooting aid. The Ching sling offers the convenience of a carrying strap and the steadiness of a target shooter's sling with the speed of a biathlete's sling. (The CW sling is a simpler version of a Ching sling, consisting of a single strap.)
A standard chambering of .308 Winchester/7.62x51mm NATO or 7mm-08 Remington for locales that forbid civilian ownership of cartridges in chamberings adopted by military forces or for its "slightly better ballistics."[2] As Cooper wrote, "A true Scout comes in .308 or 7mm-08."[3] The .243 Winchester is an alternative for young, small-framed, or recoil-shy people, but needs a 22" barrel. Cooper also commissioned "Lion Scout," chambered for the .350 Remington Magnum cartridge.
Accuracy: Should be capable of shooting into 2 minutes of angle or less (4") at 200 yards/meters (3 shot groups).
We can argue these specs, and in the videos for the Ruger they state there were never any final stats.  So, lets go with these.

so, if we agree with this definition, lets look at other rifles mentioned:
Most Semi Autos fail the weight issue. For example:
M1A- Looking at the SA website, the lightest I could find is 8.8lbs for the SOCOM. FAIL.
SKS- 8lbs 8oz
LWRC REPR 16"- 8.4lbs
AK47-Is it light enough?  Mabye.  Looking around, there seem to be some lightweight AKs.  Mine is 7lbs 8oz.  Too heavy.

So, lets look at the Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle:
XWeight: 7lbs
√Overall Length: 38.00"
√Forward mount for scope
√Ghost Ring Backup Sights
XChing Sling (easily fixed)
√Standard Chambering 7.62x51mm
?Accuracy 1MOA (I assume a √ here)

I assume with a lighter (plastic) stock it has all the attributes.

What rifle fulfills all of them?

We have seen the future: and it's expensive. -Michael Bane
Home of the Tickle Me Pamela Anderson. -Michael Bane
Weasels are the switchblade-carrying psychos of the animal world, the meanest creatures on the planet by aggression-level-to-body-weight ratio. -Marko Kloos

Overload in Colorado

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: January 01, 2011, 10:25:18 PM »
I guess the big question is whether or not you believe the concept is obsolete. Lets assume costs are equal. To me you have to ask, do you want a bolt, a semi auto or a lever? Lets also presume that we are looking at a sub three hundred yard gun. I'm just not sure that with modern semis, particularly the AK, AR-10 or M1A that the bolt has any real advantage in a tactical role (this excludes hunting applications where I prefer it). It also ignores levers with modern ammo like Leverloution rounds, or box mag levers. I really want to like this gun, but I just don't see it as the one I'd want if I could only have one. I'd much prefer the M1A or the AK, preferably the M1A chopped down and turned into a scout. Thats a cheap and easy mod.
FQ13

Overload

• Lefty Expert
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2011, 12:00:17 AM »
FQ,
the advantages of the bolt gun are weight, simplicity, size and accuracy.
disadvantages are rest: capacity, reload speed, shooting speed.

But, yes, you're right, the most basic question is 'Is the Scout Concept valid today?'.  Or was it ever?

I've never picked my One Rifle.  I've not shot any rifle enough to form an opinion as to reliability, weight and accuracy.  Heck, it might be a shotgun.  Would the One Rifle be the same as my Go To Gun, my TEOWAEKI Gun  or my Bug Out Gun?  As an urbanite, if forced to evacuate, keeping the rifle concealed is of utmost importance.  I might choose a folding stock AK as it fits in a backpack or messenger bag.  If I were to Bug Out into the mountains, I might choose a M1A, although I am partial to pistol grips.  For the end of the world, I'd choose an AR15 as I'd expect it to be easier to find parts than anything else.

I'd choose a 1911 for my One Pistol, assuming I didn't have to conceal it.  It fits my hand well and I can shoot it well (OK, I suck as an USPSA shooter, but I'm still happy with my performance)
We have seen the future: and it's expensive. -Michael Bane
Home of the Tickle Me Pamela Anderson. -Michael Bane
Weasels are the switchblade-carrying psychos of the animal world, the meanest creatures on the planet by aggression-level-to-body-weight ratio. -Marko Kloos

Overload in Colorado

Sponsor

« Reply #55 on: Today at 11:51:08 AM »

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2011, 02:52:04 AM »
I can't figure out what this rifle would be good for?

No really, I can't.  you could hunt with it, but in many states they limit the round count, even if they didn't why do you want to carry all that extra wieght in the gun?  Lets not forget that ruger mags are always $$$$$$.  On the range, there are plenty of better options out there.  That basicly leaves SHTF, well guess what?  there are many other options out there that are alot cheaper, and have proven themselfs for a long period of time.

can anyone please tell me what this gun would be good for?
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 458
« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2011, 06:30:16 AM »
Which, since I never mentioned loss in my post, this addresses the "wear and tear" aspect how  ?

My post was misdirected at you Tombo, sorry. It's just It confuses me to hear people complaining about losing a detachable magazine with this rifle as some type of detriment to owning it. Most of these same people own many other magazine fed weapons for both self defense, hunting, as well as SHTF, and none complain about magazine loss with any of those weapons. Be they rifle or pistol.  Bill T.

tombogan03884

« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2011, 09:38:57 AM »
My post was misdirected at you Tombo, sorry. It's just It confuses me to hear people complaining about losing a detachable magazine with this rifle as some type of detriment to owning it. Most of these same people own many other magazine fed weapons for both self defense, hunting, as well as SHTF, and none complain about magazine loss with any of those weapons. Be they rifle or pistol.  Bill T.

Like their carry pistol ?  ;D

Actually I tend to agree with TAB on this one, sweet looking rifle, but off the range what purpose does it serve ?
I like that Mauser much better because with the 5 round capacity you can actually hunt with it, (In NH any way )

Whit Spurzon

• Forum Member
    • Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle Blog
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2011, 11:17:24 AM »
There are 5 round magazines on the Ruger site for this rifle.  Can you hunt in NH with a levergun with a 6 round magazine?

This rifle appeals to me and I may even sell an AR to buy it  :o

As a general purpose rifle I think this one is a winner.  I like a rugged and reliable bolt that doesn't have to be clean and lubricated to function and will feed whatever I cycle into it.  I like the caliber, versatile, reputation for accuracy and hard hitting.  I have two friends with SOCOM's and while they are very nice, they are heavy beasts and a bit finicky about ammo.

If it is forced into a defensive role (aka "Slow Losing") I've really screwed up already as historically success at holding the fort is a low percentage bet - Alamo, Little Big Horn, Waco, a number of Pacific islands ...  That ranch owner in Mexico did pretty well with his hunting rifle vs a larger and "better" armed (automatic weapons & hand grenades) drug thugs - killed four, severely wounded two but still ended up dead.

In a combative role this rifle would serve well accurately reaching out farther with a projectile that has some capability against harder targets.  Its size and weight improve its mobility which would better improve the survivability if armed conflict is the only option.

justbill

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2011, 11:56:55 AM »

The AR-15 / M-16, M-9 as well as the M-14 are all magazine fed weapons. The "losing" of magazines is not, and has never been considered an issue. In combat, or in civilian use. It shouldn't be one in the case of this weapon either.

It's just It confuses me to hear people complaining about losing a detachable magazine with this rifle as some type of detriment to owning it. Most of these same people own many other magazine fed weapons for both self defense, hunting, as well as SHTF, and none complain about magazine loss with any of those weapons. Be they rifle or pistol.  Bill T. 

It shouldn't be an issue but very well might if the Ruger Scout is used for anything more dangerous than deer hunting. Beyond that benign application it's supposed to be a do-all, take-to-the-hills minimalist survival weapon. The kind of weapon you need to rely upon 24/7, in all weather conditions, with no outside support and possibly for months or years on end. If you're going to carry several magazines and some spare parts, why not also use an AK, AR, FAL variant, etc. and give yourself the capability for rapid fire and added time between mag changes?

As for losing a magazine, **it happens. I know a guy whose deer hunt was potentially ruined when he lost the magazine to his Remington 7600. He unloaded in preparation of crossing a stream and fingers numbed from the cold didn't work like they were supposed to. He swore he felt the magazine going into his coat pocket but once he was across the stream and tried to reload, it was was gone. So now he was stuck with a single-shot for the rest of his day. If he'd needed more than one shot he would've been screwed.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk