Author Topic: Ruger Introduces LC9 Lightweight Compact 9mm Pistol  (Read 21676 times)

Badgersmilk

Re: Ruger Introduces LC9 Lightweight Compact 9mm Pistol
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2011, 11:43:33 PM »
Not to pee on new gun excitement,  but if I lay my LCP on top my G30 (a 10+1 round .45ACP), and compare that picture to the new LC9 picture (a 7+1 round 9mm)...

Note: my LCP is wearing the grip extension included as an option with the gun from Ruger, and I've added grip extensions to my G30 mag.'s making it a little bigger a gun than it is out of the box from Glock (but FAR easier to handle!).

I say the win goes to Glock over the LC9.   :-\

r_w

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2011, 10:17:37 AM »
But it is almost a half inch THINNER than the Glock, that is the big sell for me.

But Kahr is proven (and comes in .40). 
"Why are you carrying a pistol?  Expecting trouble?"

"No Maam.  If I was expecting trouble, I'd have a rifle."

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2011, 10:20:09 AM »
Noticed the slide lock on the 9 holds it open after the last round.  Not a  major deal, but nice.  The better sights are good too, but don't matter so much in the role the LCP fills for me

At over one pound in weight, the LC9 would fail, for me, the criteria I find most valuable in the LCP...low weight.  It's size is also somewhat larger than the LCP.

I  have found that I ALWAYS have the LCP with me whenever I am wearing something with a pocket.  Easy to carry in a pajama pants pocket and most shirt pockets.

When I am out and about I carry a Glock 23 or Glock 21 IWB along with the LCP in a jacket or pants pocket.  When I am  home, it is the LCP that is always in my pocket.

I am always able to dress to be able to carry at least the Glock 23 so the LCP doesn't need to meet the demands of a primary carry weapon.  (I suspect that should a SD situation arise, the LCP would be the most likely weapon with which I would respond.  My hand is usually on it and unless the encounter allowed the time to move to the G23, the LCP would be the one)

So, for me, the LC9 doesn't do the job of either the Glock 23 (larger caliber and greater capacity) or the LCP.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

1Buckshot

• Monty Lucht
  • Top Forum Member
  • COMMENCE FIRING
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2011, 12:51:50 PM »
OK! I must shoot one of these soon and see how it matches up to the LCP and the SR9c. It might be the pocket gun I have been looking for. I hate the LCP and love the SR9c. Did any one catch what is missing? I don't see a rail. (crimson trace ?)
I don't care how good the sights are, for what this gun will be used for it needs laser sights on it.

McGyver

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2011, 05:07:52 PM »
I would imagine they'll offer an optional trigger guard laser on it like they did with the LCP.   ::)

P.S.- I'm reserving my opinion until I can ACTUALLY get my hands on one at the range!   ;)
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
On John Wayne's Tombstone

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 06:37:06 PM »

Badgersmilk

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2011, 07:29:51 PM »
Noticed the slide lock on the 9 holds it open after the last round.  Not a  major deal, but nice.  The better sights are good too, but don't matter so much in the role the LCP fills for me

At over one pound in weight, the LC9 would fail, for me, the criteria I find most valuable in the LCP...low weight.  It's size is also somewhat larger than the LCP.

I  have found that I ALWAYS have the LCP with me whenever I am wearing something with a pocket.  Easy to carry in a pajama pants pocket and most shirt pockets.

When I am out and about I carry a Glock 23 or Glock 21 IWB along with the LCP in a jacket or pants pocket.  When I am  home, it is the LCP that is always in my pocket.

I am always able to dress to be able to carry at least the Glock 23 so the LCP doesn't need to meet the demands of a primary carry weapon.  (I suspect that should a SD situation arise, the LCP would be the most likely weapon with which I would respond.  My hand is usually on it and unless the encounter allowed the time to move to the G23, the LCP would be the one)

So, for me, the LC9 doesn't do the job of either the Glock 23 (larger caliber and greater capacity) or the LCP.

Excellent point on the last round slide stop!  Wish the LCP had one!  Only thing I dislike about the gun. 

But like you also mention.  The weight of an LCP is a HUGE advantage!  Easy to forget that your even carrying it until it's needed.

For me the LCP is my first choice for warm weather.  It's size and weight make it the perfect companion for light clothing.  When heavy layers of winter clothing are common I carry the G30 for added penetration and because the extra cloths make it easier to hide. 

If I thought I'd ever need to "defend myself" against a guy on the other side of a car windshield...  I'd probably look harder at 9mm's.   ::)  JMO  ;)

shooter32

• shooter32
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2011, 01:44:18 PM »
OK! I must shoot one of these soon and see how it matches up to the LCP and the SR9c. It might be the pocket gun I have been looking for. I hate the LCP and love the SR9c. Did any one catch what is missing? I don't see a rail. (crimson trace ?)
I don't care how good the sights are, for what this gun will be used for it needs laser sights on it.

http://www.shootingwire.com/story/229291

;)
A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. ~ Gerald Ford - August 12, 1974

1Buckshot

• Monty Lucht
  • Top Forum Member
  • COMMENCE FIRING
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2011, 03:16:06 PM »
That was fast. ;D I did not catch that the crimson trace doesn't use a rail for mounting. ::)

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 877
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2011, 08:45:14 PM »
Mr Mike!

How long is the waiting list or line to apply for YOUR job?

;D ;D

You're a luck fella Mikey.....fer true!

;)

Those with the same initials go to the front of the line  ;D
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

rich642z

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2011, 12:05:24 AM »
Marshall,I watched that video on the LC9 and,I am thinking about getting one in a year or so just to be sure that the bugs and creepy crawlers like Michael Bane doesnt fool with it to much.   Ouch,did I say that??????     Oops,didnt want to tell the truth but,,,,, no,just kidding about Michael.      How is the slide to rack,easy or hard for the first time?    I have arthur in my hands so,that is why i ask.      rich642z

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk