Author Topic: Massive Oil Deposit Could Increase U.S. Reserve by 10X  (Read 16177 times)

Outlaw

• U.S.A.F. Retired/CCW
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Massive Oil Deposit Could Increase U.S. Reserve by 10X
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2008, 06:38:34 PM »
We used to steal cigarettes and beer and go out in the woods and smoke and drink. We would also try and coax a girl or two to join us.  We were so stupid... :-[

I miss that :'(
Strategic Air Command Motto: Peace is Our Profession, Believe it or We'll Bomb the Hell Outta Ya!

Dharmaeye

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2008, 07:47:30 PM »
There is more oil and gas available but is expensive and would take a long time to get online.
Bottom line is the peak of supply has been met and supply is decreasing and demand increasing.
Natural gas will end from Canada in 8-10 years.
Major change in life style will happen.
Odds are the government will make it worse.

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2008, 07:55:58 PM »
There is more oil and gas available but is expensive and would take a long time to get online.
Bottom line is the peak of supply has been met and supply is decreasing and demand increasing.
Natural gas will end from Canada in 8-10 years.
Major change in life style will happen.
Odds are the government will make it worse.

Sorry,

I don't subscribe to 'peak oil'.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 577
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2008, 09:53:28 PM »
........I don't subscribe to 'peak oil'.
You probably should subscibe to it kewl cat.  The key is to look at it by producing basin then basins within a producing entity (or country).  The thing that kicked us out a bit on the curve was the deep-water Gulf of Mexico that was unobtainable by early technology when the "King Hubbert" curve was out.  Also....those deepwater GOM reserves postponed the increase in oil prices by about 2-4 years.  The reservoirs there are tremendously productive, requiring few wells and producing what is in the ground very quickly.  The downside....they fall off after, say, 6-8 years, so there needs to be more development but the lead time can be 10 years.

For oil, reserves are somewhat lognormally related in a bbls/acre-ft relationship....just an inescapable physcial fact of life.  Normal, uninterrupted production, after some time of sustainable rate, falls off in exponential, hyperbolic or harmonic declines.  No doubt at some point that shale oil will provide oil for us....but at a seriously high price.  We'lll need to develop coal & nuclear power in the short term to keep us warm at an affordable price....the government needs to invest in research for fusion power, efficient solar cells (something better than 14-28% and that last more then 8-11 years at 2x the cost of grid electricity)...it's gonna take a huge effort to do this...something like the WWII A-bomb project.  Oh yeah, ethanol...without subsidies...still can't compete with crude oil and gasoline....do ya'll not think that if more money could be made on methanol the oil companies wouldn't be selling it?  Buying a farm versus putting down a million dollar plus well every 40 acres or so and paying the landowner a couple of hundred a year per acre plus the 20% off the top to the royalty owner...well you should get the picture the oil companies could buy the farms to produce ethanol if it were truly a going concern.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Teresa Heilevang

• The "Other Halloway"
  • Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Don't make me call the flying monkeys! DRTV Ranger
    • The Perfect Touch
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2008, 10:00:43 PM »
I wished I was smart enough to jump in here with something intelligent to say..
 but............ :'( I 'm not! )
I have read and reread this thread and I am trying so hard to understand it all...................
but actually after reading it at least 3 times.. very slowly and in detail.. ........................

And all of it has given me a headache.  :P

I'm going to go finish the laundry.. take a shower and grab my book for awhile and read.

I'll catch you all on the flip side tomorrow.. g'night..

"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History ! "

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 12:41:41 PM »

DDMac

• Proudly Bald On
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2008, 05:29:55 AM »
I'm with you Marshal'ette. I'm a big Ethanol fan, though. You say you can run a car on it too?? Holy Cow!! Wonder if cars get  hangovers ? Welll, back to guns.
Mac.
Standing up for your Right to lay down suppressive fire since 1948!

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2008, 07:52:46 AM »
You probably should subscibe to it kewl cat.  The key is to look at it by producing basin then basins within a producing entity (or country).  The thing that kicked us out a bit on the curve was the deep-water Gulf of Mexico that was unobtainable by early technology when the "King Hubbert" curve was out.  Also....those deepwater GOM reserves postponed the increase in oil prices by about 2-4 years.  The reservoirs there are tremendously productive, requiring few wells and producing what is in the ground very quickly.  The downside....they fall off after, say, 6-8 years, so there needs to be more development but the lead time can be 10 years.

For oil, reserves are somewhat lognormally related in a bbls/acre-ft relationship....just an inescapable physcial fact of life.  Normal, uninterrupted production, after some time of sustainable rate, falls off in exponential, hyperbolic or harmonic declines.  No doubt at some point that shale oil will provide oil for us....but at a seriously high price.  We'lll need to develop coal & nuclear power in the short term to keep us warm at an affordable price....the government needs to invest in research for fusion power, efficient solar cells (something better than 14-28% and that last more then 8-11 years at 2x the cost of grid electricity)...it's gonna take a huge effort to do this...something like the WWII A-bomb project.  Oh yeah, ethanol...without subsidies...still can't compete with crude oil and gasoline....do ya'll not think that if more money could be made on methanol the oil companies wouldn't be selling it?  Buying a farm versus putting down a million dollar plus well every 40 acres or so and paying the landowner a couple of hundred a year per acre plus the 20% off the top to the royalty owner...well you should get the picture the oil companies could buy the farms to produce ethanol if it were truly a going concern.

Rastus,

I agree with you on alternatives and especially ethanol (just drives up the cost of corn) but I'm not convinced on Peak.

Yes it was easier to get in the past BUT that was pretty much all the technology we had and in comparison the cost wasn't really much different than the new technologies used today.

What I have read about shale oils says it would cost 50 - 70 bbl to get it to market.  That would be a bargain in todays market.

http://www.fossil.energy.gov/programs/reserves/publications/Pubs-NPR/40010-373.pdf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_shale_economics (yeah, it's Wiki but Wiki ain't all bad)
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2008, 08:09:16 AM »
I wished I was smart enough to jump in here with something intelligent to say..
 but............ :'( I 'm not! )
I have read and reread this thread and I am trying so hard to understand it all...................
but actually after reading it at least 3 times.. very slowly and in detail.. ........................

And all of it has given me a headache.  :P

I'm going to go finish the laundry.. take a shower and grab my book for awhile and read.

I'll catch you all on the flip side tomorrow.. g'night..

Sorry Sweetheart, your 'just a dumb blond' ploy isn't gonna cut it.  You may not be up to speed on this subject (neither am I really) but dumb you ain't!!

Outlaw

• U.S.A.F. Retired/CCW
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2008, 11:55:37 AM »
M'ette and DDMack..Can I sit next to you guys  ???
Strategic Air Command Motto: Peace is Our Profession, Believe it or We'll Bomb the Hell Outta Ya!

Teresa Heilevang

• The "Other Halloway"
  • Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Don't make me call the flying monkeys! DRTV Ranger
    • The Perfect Touch
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2008, 12:15:00 PM »
Yes you sure can...  :)
It will make me feel much better to have company.
"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History ! "

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk