Author Topic: War veterans event canceled at High School; Principal says too political...  (Read 2696 times)

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Minneapolis, MN

Forest Lake High's principal said the decision was spurred by concerns that the presentation was more political than educational.

By ALLIE SHAH , Star Tribune

Last update: March 25, 2008 - 8:27 AM

Pete Hegseth

A national tour featuring decorated veterans from the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan won't be stopping at Forest Lake Area High School today as planned, after school leaders abruptly canceled the visit.

Steve Massey, the school principal, said the decision to cancel was prompted by concerns that the event was becoming political rather than educational and therefore was not suitable for a public school.

He said the school had received several phone calls from parents and others, some of whom indicated that they may stage a protest if the event took place.

"The event was structured to be an academic classroom discussion around military service. We thought we'd provide an opportunity for kids to learn about service in the context of our history classes," Massey said. "As the day progressed, it became clear that this was becoming a political event ... which would be inappropriate in a public setting.

More at link http://www.startribune.com/politics/local/16971116.html
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
And of course, cancelling the event is not political. Jeez >:(
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Yep, a couple of left wing moon bats threaten to protest and 'bingo' it's canceled!   If I were there I would be protesting outside the principals office everyday until He rescheduled the event or if that is not possible then apologized to a representative of the troop IN FRONT OF THE WHOLE SCHOOL and was given a history lesson on how the US would not be free without our brave men and women of the US Armed Forces!

I would make sure that he would rue the day he did not stand up for those who are willing to lay down their lives for us!
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

TexGun

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
PC is BS!!!

What a shame when a school actually tries to do something completely partriotic and American only to be beat over the head by a few bleeding heart, politcally perverted, tree huggin', gun hating, sorry a$$..... Sorry folks, I got a little carried away there.

That just proves that some folks don't have enough sense to be raising children. 

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 879
Being in Minnesota we have been hearing this one on the radio all day.  The two best sound bites (when you put them together like they were broadcast) come from one on each side - A school spokesman talks about a vet. talking about his time of service, and this is followed by a vet. talking about his time of service where he served security and walked security in an area we hear as being unstable and he tells of not hearing a gunshot in three weeks.

Yup ... that's a message we don't want the general public to hear.  Especially our impressionable youth.  Quick ... let's get this school district to form a new committee to write history books.

If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Sponsor

Teresa Heilevang

• The "Other Halloway"
  • Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Don't make me call the flying monkeys! DRTV Ranger
    • The Perfect Touch
  • Liked:
Pretty much a spineless principal if you ask me.
Makes me sick!
"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History ! "

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk