Author Topic: Gunman report puts USF on alert  (Read 8438 times)

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Gunman report puts USF on alert
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 05:01:55 PM »
Guns for me, but not for thee!
Tom and Eric
Here we get back to the old arguments about property rights vs gun rights. I agree the 25 yr old age bar is probably a loser in court (though I still think its not a bad idea). Lets take that off the table. The question is then, can a school bar guns from the dorms? Many schools bar booze even if you are 21 and some bar having a member of the opposite sex in your room/floor even though sex is legal in every state if you're over 18. The dorms are school property, they are liable if the rules permit unsafe behavior and someone gets hurt. Its why schools ban booze, even if they don't even attempt to enforce it. The reality is that 18-21 olds get angry, depressed homesick, despondent, know they've just lost the love of their life, drink way too much beer/smoke too much weed, play dumb pranks etc. I don't think adding guns to that mix is wise. Bring them to campus, fine. Undergrad student housing, not so much.
FQ13

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2009, 05:08:47 PM »
Tom and Eric
Here we get back to the old arguments about property rights vs gun rights. I agree the 25 yr old age bar is probably a loser in court (though I still think its not a bad idea). Lets take that off the table. The question is then, can a school bar guns from the dorms? Many schools bar booze even if you are 21 and some bar having a member of the opposite sex in your room/floor even though sex is legal in every state if you're over 18. The dorms are school property, they are liable if the rules permit unsafe behavior and someone gets hurt. Its why schools ban booze, even if they don't even attempt to enforce it. The reality is that 18-21 olds get angry, depressed homesick, despondent, know they've just lost the love of their life, drink way too much beer/smoke too much weed, play dumb pranks etc. I don't think adding guns to that mix is wise. Bring them to campus, fine. Undergrad student housing, not so much.
FQ13

They are not legally banning those things that you mention.... it is just part of their policy that you must comply with in order to attend..... just like not allowing freshmen to have cars.

"Lets take that off the table.", and then two sentences later you bring it back up ???

By your logic and the reasons that you cited, NO ONE under age 25 should be able to own a gun.

You, Sir, are an idiot....... and a sorry example of a Libertarian.
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

tt11758

• Noolis bastardis carborundum (Don't let the bastards wear you down)
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger ~
    • 10-Ring Firearms Training
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2009, 05:13:21 PM »
When I was an undergrad my institution of higher learning had a ban on guns on campus.  While attending school and living on campus I also worked for the local county Sheriff's Office as a Deputy.  The Sheriff and the college President had a little meeting of the minds and the Prez was informed that I was REQUIRED to be armed 24/7 as a condition of my employment.  He further told the Prez that if he wanted to make an issue of it, the local LEO's would make an issue of college students doing the stupid things that college students do.  ZERO tolerance.  The Prez elected to allow ONE firearm on campus.

Of course, this was 30-some years ago, but I digress.
I love waking up every morning knowing that Donald Trump is President!!

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2009, 05:25:27 PM »
They are not legally banning those things that you mention.... it is just part of their policy that you must comply with in order to attend..... just like not allowing freshmen to have cars.

"Lets take that off the table.", and then two sentences later you bring it back up ???

By your logic and the reasons that you cited, NO ONE under age 25 should be able to own a gun.

You, Sir, are an idiot....... and a sorry example of a Libertarian.
Beg to differ friend, I am neither of the above. I merely pointed out that age restriction beyond the legal one would not hold up in court. The second age mention was merely to point out the fact that kids do dumb things and tend to get overwrought in an environment like the dorms. Its why the military generally puts restrictions on having a firearm in the barracks. Again, bring them to school, keep them out of the dorms. TT is an execption, a cop "on duty" 24/7 is a lot less likely  (though not immune to) hold my beer and watch this behavior.
FQ13

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2009, 05:32:10 PM »
Beg to differ friend, I am neither of the above.
FQ13

You're right... I never should have called you "Sir", and I certainly never should have used the word "Logic".     

http://www.downrange.tv/forum/index.php?topic=6440.msg83245#msg83245

http://www.downrange.tv/forum/index.php?topic=8287.msg105815#msg105815

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 05:39:41 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2009, 05:37:15 PM »
OK, You understand that the age bar won't hold up in court because of the equal protection clause.
Now check this out, The SF case was the city prohibited the possession of fire arms in city owned housing. A Gay guy sued because he felt the need to protect himself. As I understand his case an entity that receives taxpayer funding can not make the surrender of a Constitutional right a condition of participation. The city lost and declined to appeal.
It has nothing to do with "Property Rights" since through public funding it is the property of us all.

Timothy

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2009, 05:45:02 PM »
Someone please explain to the Professor that nothing in the Military remotely resembles a college dormatory.  Most of the children in college dorms would not make a good mole on a GI's ass!

tombogan03884

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2009, 05:48:05 PM »
 He knows all about it Tim. He was in ROTC.

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2009, 05:48:22 PM »
Someone please explain to the Professor that nothing in the Military remotely resembles a college dormatory.  Most of the children in college dorms would not make a good mole on a GI's ass!

Someone needs to explain to the professor that nothing on a college campus remotely resembles the real world.

Timothy

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2009, 05:49:46 PM »
He knows all about it Tim. He was in ROTC.

So, he's not a REAL vet?  FQ....did you serve at least 180 consecutive days on active duty?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk