Author Topic: EMP & Electronic Gun Safe Locks  (Read 27299 times)

Timothy

Re: EMP & Electronic Gun Safe Locks
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2009, 07:10:30 AM »
Rastus is on point. 

We don't as a country have much evidence of catastrophic EMP research because we haven't detonated a nuclear device since 1963.  Most severe damage would be within a few hundred miles from the event out to "line of sight" so a detonation at ground level would be less significant for long range damage than a detonation at altitude.

A high-altitude nuclear detonation produces an immediate flux of gamma rays from the nuclear reactions within the device. These photons in turn produce high energy free electrons by Compton scattering at altitudes between (roughly) 20 and 40 km. These electrons are then trapped in the Earth’s magnetic field, giving rise to an oscillating electric current. This current is asymmetric in general and gives rise to a rapidly rising radiated electromagnetic field called an electromagnetic pulse (EMP). Because the electrons are trapped essentially simultaneously, a very large electromagnetic source radiates coherently.

The pulse can easily span continent-sized areas, and this radiation can affect systems on land, sea, and air. The first recorded EMP incident accompanied a high-altitude nuclear test over the South Pacific and resulted in power system failures as far away as Hawaii. A large device detonated at 400–500 km over Kansas would affect all of CONUS. The signal from such an event extends to the visual horizon as seen from the burst point.

http://www.fas.org/nuke/intro/nuke/emp.htm

Badgersmilk

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2009, 12:01:18 PM »
mmmm, now that I think about it a little more.  I dont believe unless your within blast range of ground zero the electro-magnet solenoid in an electronic safe door would be effected.  Its sheilded by something like 1/16" to 1/8" steel that would defuse the pulse.  Government EMP safe laptops rely on a foil layer .007" - .009" thick to defuse EMP...  The keypad may fry, I'd be surprised if it got to the solenoid down at the handle in the middle of the door though.  Those little things often only need 3VDC to actuate.  Beter be ready to turn that handle as soon as you hook up your 9 volt, it'll likely fry the solenoid in a second or two, but once you turn the handle past the keyway its all good.  EMP works something similar to ultrasonic welding, melting and fusing together circuitry.

It's feasable that North Korea will give us all the oportunity to learn more first hand very soon!

Combination safes are as easy to defeat as electronic.  Pry or pull off the dial, chisel through the plate behind, and you'll find tumblers just like a key lock.

A human mind made it, a human mind can defeat it.  Big price tags on safes are to buy cool looks, and cool features like recessed mood lighting.  I've seen one with a mirrored ceiling!  Perverts!

tombogan03884

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2009, 12:23:41 PM »
Read this before you go under estimating the effects of EMP, the truth may not set you free but I bet it will scare the crap out of you.

http://www.onesecondafter.com/pb/wp_d10e87d9/wp_d10e87d9.html

Timothy

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2009, 12:47:54 PM »
Since Cuba has no newer cars since the Revolution, they should be all set on transportation!  Sure wish I still had my Mustang! ;D

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2009, 12:50:23 PM »
Read this before you go under estimating the effects of EMP, the truth may not set you free but I bet it will scare the crap out of you.

Solar flares and extra-terrestrial gamma sources cause interference with radio frequency channels, like cellphone and over the air TV. These are not the same as an EMP, which as noted causes spikes of electricity within devices frying them.

One of the problems I have is that sources like One Second After conflict with others in the effects of EMP. In the example above, I have seen some "experts" state that unconnected devices will not be affected and cars will not either unless you are within a small cone under a 50 mile high detonation. Then One Second After says everyone will be down, even our back up supplies.

Before I got laid off, I was seriously beginning to look at pre-1982 pickups - before electronic anything in vehicles. I was planning to keep spare electrical components (points, plugs, radios, etc.) in grounded ammo cans just in case. I do like power windows though . . . .

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

Sponsor

« Reply #35 on: Today at 04:12:55 AM »

deepwater

• SNIPE
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2009, 02:35:00 PM »

if this stuff is true we could take care of N. Korea easily. think this would wipe out their nukes without killing the population? problem there would be the neighboring countries and then getting back in to help the people. though I doubt they would have much trouble living without electricity. hell, they already live without enough food.
YOU CAN TEACH A MONKEY HOW TO RIDE A BICYCLE: BUT YOU CAN'T TEACH HIM HOW TO FIX IT!!

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2009, 02:54:11 PM »
if this stuff is true we could take care of N. Korea easily. think this would wipe out their nukes without killing the population? problem there would be the neighboring countries and then getting back in to help the people. though I doubt they would have much trouble living without electricity. hell, they already live without enough food.
I was going to say, if you turned off the electricity to NK, who woud notice. You must have seen that nightime sattelite photo that shows SK all lit up and NK as dark as the inside of a dog.
FQ13

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2009, 03:23:44 PM »
Solar flares and extra-terrestrial gamma sources cause interference with radio frequency channels, like cellphone and over the air TV. These are not the same as an EMP, which as noted causes spikes of electricity within devices frying them.

One of the problems I have is that sources like One Second After conflict with others in the effects of EMP. In the example above, I have seen some "experts" state that unconnected devices will not be affected and cars will not either unless you are within a small cone under a 50 mile high detonation. Then One Second After says everyone will be down, even our back up supplies.

Before I got laid off, I was seriously beginning to look at pre-1982 pickups - before electronic anything in vehicles. I was planning to keep spare electrical components (points, plugs, radios, etc.) in grounded ammo cans just in case. I do like power windows though . . . .

I saw a show on Discovery a while back on EMP (might have been Future Weapons when it still came on that channel).
They did a demo with an automobile. They had an EMP producing source suspended from a twin set of scaffold towers at about thirty or so feet high. They drove the car under the source and it killed it, but it had to be directly under the source.

I know a high powered, high altitude source would be much more devastating, but the cone principle might still apply.

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

tombogan03884

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2009, 04:09:49 PM »
In the case of a nuke generated EMP the "Cone Principle" couldn't apply as a nuke blast is spherical it's effects would propagate as an expanding sphere until dissipated, absorbed, or reflected by something. The example on the show was either shielded to protect other equipment or it was deliberately contained

Badgersmilk

« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2009, 05:15:45 PM »
I've SEEN EMP cooked alternators, starters, and coils...  How's a 65 beetle or mustang going to run without those?  It even cooked the filement in all the cars light bulbs.  Granted, having spares of those parts is far from out of the question, and at least buying the spares for the beetle would probably cost you under a hundred bucks total.  Wrap'em up in a few layers of tin foil and put them in your basement.  You still wont be driving very far with dead cars blocking all the roads, and with people getting car jacked in todays times...  You dont think it'll happen when your the only car moving anywhere?!?

Come on North Korea, get it done already!  Inquiring minds want to know!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk