Author Topic: Earhart Mystery maybe solved  (Read 12215 times)

tombogan03884

Re: Earhart Mystery maybe solved
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 09:36:27 AM »
While there are conflicting stories as to whether or not AE was specifically tasked by Naval intelligence, (the US had no independent national intelligence agency prior to the formation of the OSS ) the answer to that question may have nothing at all to do with her disappearance.
The Pacific Ocean is very big, and very empty. 1930's navigational tools were primarily a map, compass, and watch.
It would have been very easy for even a highly skilled navigator to miss a small island in a very large ocean.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 08:45:15 PM »
EDIT: Spoiler alert!  ;D

Nope just a big rock and the keel of a known wreck.  Got the AUV stuck a couple of times and sent the 'bot to get it out.  

Best quote, "geez <guy piloting the 'bot> you could park a fish" after he found the AUV the second time wedged in some rocks.  One cool part was the time lapse video of crabs on a pig's carcass.

Was pretty much a let-down..... some cool tech-geek stuff......... but a let-down, based on the build-up over the summer.  :(
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 11:08:41 PM »
Was pretty much a let-down..... some cool tech-geek stuff......... but a let-down, based on the build-up over the summer.  :(

+1
He who dares wins.  SAS

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2014, 12:17:49 PM »
It would be nice if they could find enough of the plane to make a positive ID and put the mystery to rest for good.

Might be close.......

Another piece of the puzzle from TIGHAR:

http://www.oregonlive.com/today/index.ssf/2014/10/new_evidence_strengthens_theor.html

FTA:

Discovery.com reports that The International Group for Historic Aircraft Recovery (TIGHAR) has determined with a "high degree of certainty" that aluminum debris found 25 years ago on Nikumaroro, an uninhabited Pacific atoll, belongs to Earhart's Lockheed Electra plane.

The group, which has been investigating Earhart's final flight for years, says the debris is an aluminum patch that replaced a window. It was installed on the plane during Earhart's Miami stopover in late May, 1937. Earhart and Noonan vanished over the Pacific on July 2 of that year.

Ric Gillespie, executive director of TIGHAR, told Discovery.com that "the Miami patch was an expedient field repair. Its complex fingerprint of dimensions, proportions, materials and rivet patterns was as unique to Earhart's Electra as a fingerprint is to an individual."

So what does this mean? Gillespie believes it is strong evidence that Earhart and Noonan did not crash into the ocean, that instead they made a forced landing on Nikumaroro's coral reef. U.S. Navy aircraft searching for the fliers in the week after the Lockheed Electra disappeared did fly over or near Nikumaroro but did not spot anyone. Chances are, TIGHAR says, Earhart and Noonan eventually died of exposure and starvation.

More cool info:

http://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/Archives/Research/Bulletins/73_StepbyStep/73_Step_by_Step.html

http://news.discovery.com/history/us-history/aluminum-fragment-appears-to-belong-to-earharts-plane-141028.htm
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 06:04:16 PM »

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 583
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2016, 11:02:02 PM »
Interesting history on the island on Wiki.  If she was there if she'd held out another few months there was a work party there.  Strange they found nothing....
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2016, 07:58:12 AM »
The Pacific Ocean is very big, and very empty. 1930's navigational tools were primarily a map, compass, and watch.
It would have been very easy for even a highly skilled navigator to miss a small island in a very large ocean.

As recently as the late '60s, navigation in that part of the world was exceptionally difficult.  In the late '60s, one of our Navy ships rammed a reef at flank speed because the navigator thought he was somewhere else and thought the breaking waves were caused by a tsunami. Proper procedure when encountering a tsunami was to attack it from a perpendicular entry at top speed.

Charts were not always that accurate and navigational tools were limited to sextant, LORAN-C, Omega, and dead reckoning. 

Accuracy of LORAN diminished to the point of non-existence with distance from the master/slave stations. 

Omega was a low frequency device that was technically international and provided good replication.  In other words, it would tell you that you were in the same place whenever you were in that place--but it wasn't necessarily where you actually were.  It was common on submarines bacause the ultra low frequency radio waves could actually penetrate the water allowing the sub to get a position fix without surfacing.  It was also commonly used on long distance flights.  But it was commissioned in 1971 and didn't exist when AE was flying.

Navigating with a sextant could provide reasonably good fixes a couple of times in a 24 hour period, but was dependent on sea state and cloud coverage--and you can get pretty lost between fixes.  If it was bad overcast, you couldn't even get a local apparent noon sighting to give you a longitude.  Shooting the stars at night would give you a proper fix, but was also limited by cloud cover and sea state.  Pilots also used sextants when traversing long distances.  Another factor leading to inaccuracy; it was easy to mess up the math when doing sight reductions from the tables.  That may be what happened to AE.

Dead reckoning is simply plotting your observed compass/gyro course using time and speed to find distance.  Navigators try to account for set and drift (the effect of wind and currents on true course) but that's pretty much a by-guess-and-by-gosh sort of factor.

It wasn't until the mid-'70s that Sat-Nav came into being.  It had accuracy to within 9 meters, but required one of the satellites to be at the proper angle to get a fix.  The satellites formed a birdcage surrounding the earth, but there were initially only 7 of them, so there were holes in coverage.  They were in a polar orbit, and it could be as much a 13 hours or more between satellite fixes when your ship was near the equator.

Of course, everything changed in the mid to late '70s when GPS was introduced.  Military units can provide one meter accuracy in lat,lon,altitude at MACH One.  When stationary, accuracy is increased to centimeters.

It's all a definitely interesting mystery.

Crusader Rabbit
“I’ve lived the literal meaning of the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave.’ It’s not corny for me. I feel it in my heart. I feel it in my chest. Even at a ball game, when someone talks during the anthem or doesn’t take off his hat, it pisses me off. I’m not one to be quiet about it, either.”  Chris Kyle

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2016, 12:09:14 PM »
Amelia Earhart's demise has always been number three in my "Top Three History's Mysteries" I guess. We all know WHAT happened, just the idea of WHERE is the mystery part.

My number one has always been Oak Island....after reading a reprint of an original Reader's Digest story in my youth, I became hooked for life and delight in the History Channel show.

Number two is Flight 19.

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2017, 02:03:16 PM »
And today in "thread revival" news:   8)

This Sunday evening History Channel is airing a special on new Earhart info.

http://www.history.com/news/does-this-photo-show-amelia-earhart-after-her-plane-disappeared

tombogan03884

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2017, 03:17:53 PM »
LOL, I saw that on my news feed as I was logging in.
Thinking about it, I'm surprised the media aren't blaming Trump .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk