Author Topic: Tactical Considerations for those with Physical Limitations  (Read 18562 times)

rat31465

• Jack of all Trades, Master of none.
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Back in February of 2009 my home was destroyed by a tornado and in the aftermath of trying to sift through the debris I managed to tear a ligament in my left knee which left me on crutches for the better part of 6-weeks.  I graduated from depending on two crutches to get around to one and for the rest of about a 6-month period I began to use a single point cane.  My Physician says that I am not a candidate for surgery and it is an injury that I may have to live with for the rest of my life.
 I have since this time reinjured my knee  frequently in varying degrees just going about my everyday life, as a result of my somewhat limited mobility I have stepped back and reevaluated my  own self-defense needs.
So what has my disability required me to change in this regard?  The first and foremost factor I have had to come to terms with is in my limited mobility.  As a youth I was very active and athletic…perhaps not in the classic sense as my conventional athletic participation was limited to track and more precisely as a cross-country distance runner…I also was  an avid Hunter and Backpacker. The point I wish to make here is that my physical endurance and ability to move were always paramount to how I trained.
Recently while playing a game involving squirt guns with my 2 ½ year old Grandson Rylan…I reinjured my knee  attempting to simply pivot and evade his head on attack.  The incident drove home the fact that despite my belief that I was well on my way towards recovering after a year and a half… I no longer have the ability or the option of making a quick getaway, or even a hasty/tactical retreat.  Heck I can’t even run from a child…a fact made even more evident after the little guy soaked me to the bone when I fell to the ground.  (Pop’s can’t expect mercy from this little guy.)
Since my injury has once again put me on the sidelines and relegated me to find other means for occupying my downtime…I decided I was going to reevaluate my self-defense needs relating to weapons and tactics.
I began by posing a question about the Cold Steel Heavy Duty sword cane (http://www.trueswords.com/cold-steel-battle-ready-sword-cane-heavy-duty-p-3421.html) in the self defense thread of a Forum I have been a member of since 2008.  I liked the looks of this particular product as the canes body is constructed of heavy gauge aluminum and so is functional as a walking aid and more than capable as either a non-lethal weapon or if the threat were to escalate one capable of being brought into lethal action.
The responses I got back from the forums members were both disturbing and eye opening at the same time and not one of them had anything to do with my original question about the product.  What I garnered from these responses is that most would be happy if lethal forms of self defense were left to the physically capable and many seem to believe that the Physically Challenged are better served by the use of tasers, pepper spray and other less than lethal options.
 Suddenly I understand how it feels to be the injured Wildebeest running at the back of the herd.
I found these responses and options unacceptable… and have started to wonder if maybe I have stumbled upon an area lacking in training opportunities?
A Precursory Google Search of the internet on Training Classes for the physically challenged gave somewhat disappointing results.   Questioning where I might find resources has lead me here to DRTV….as I thought I remembered an episode on the Wednesday lineup regarding exactly this?
I look forward to any responses, advice etc.
"Get yourself a Glock and Lose that Nickle Plated Sissy Pistol."
Sam Gerard

tombogan03884

Re: Tactical Considerations for those with Physical Limitations
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 11:45:11 AM »
The cane, like any other tool, requires training to use effectively, I would also check what State and local laws say about "sword canes". Until last month they were illegal in NH.
Other thoughts I would add are that since you are physically disadvantaged in a violent encounter, it may be more sensible to avoid the risk of "nonlethal" resistance not working since you do not have the option of moving quickly to recover from a failed defense.
Talk to Professional trainers, like Rob Pincus. Many are happy to tailor a class for those with limitations.

PS, That cane is junk, I prefer a large round steel ball for a handle. The kind that make large round dents.    ;D

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 12:05:15 PM »
Here's my advice, which is probably worth less than .02. Never the less when has that stopped anybody on this board? ;D
As far as sword canes go? Lets assume they are legal where you live. As someone who fenced sabre at a pretty high level in college, I will say that using a sword requires a great deal of flexibility, particulary from the lower body. As my coach said, "You kill with your feet". Being able to retreat and advance and dodge is all about movement. Having two feet of steel is all good, but honestly, you will be stationary, thrusting or cutting from a fixed position. Not good.

This brings me to my second, and very unfortunate point. Limited mobility (assuming the laws in your state allow it), would seem to argue for a more, not less, lethal response. You can't fight, you can't run away. What does that leave you? Killing the SOB. Pepper spray, Tasers etc are built around you being able to disable the BG and haul ass. Not an option for you. My advice? A .45 subcompact (substitute 9mm or .40 and I'm a 9mm guy). Still avoid the fight. If it won't avoid you? A .357 or .45 seems the best defense.  Empty it into the BG. Then reload. You don't have your legs. You do have your arms. Use them. You should take this with a grain of salt and consult you local laws. Its just my HO.
FQ13 who welcomes you aboard.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 12:55:03 PM »
As much as it pains me to say, I pretty much go with most of FQ's points. And my opinion, along with a buck-fitty, might buy you a coke. He is right about the balance and leg strength needed to properly wield a sword-type weapon, at least as far as some of the techniques I've investigated. That being said, the cane-sword is still better than nothing at all.

I can also say that I am in the same boat as you, Rat. I have mobility issues (see my screen name  ;) ) that do not allow me to run, climb, kneel and such. Flight is not an option for me, so I go armed (as heavily as feasible with conditions) at all times that it is legal for me to do so. I practice shooting techniques and positions that I might uniquely find myself in. I sometimes have enough stiffness and pain in my joints to require the use of a cane, but from my own perspective I see my cane as a buffer-type defensive weapon to use to buy time (if needed) in order to get my G27 up and running. Situations and mileage may vary.

Like Tom said, there are professionals on this forum that can point you to proper training. There are SD classes that custom tailor to persons with disabilities, you may have to do a little digging around to find them.

Michael Janich has some excellent instructional info on the use of canes as SD weapons and both he and Rob Pincus will no doubt be able to point you in the right direction.

http://www.paladin-press.com/product/Martial_Cane_Concepts_/Armed_Self-Defense

As FQ said, avoidance is key to guys like you and me.....but if you can't avoid it, try to be prepared to strike efficiently.

Much luck,

Peg

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Timothy

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 01:12:21 PM »
Count me as another guy who's "mobility challenged" and have been for a few years.  I get stronger all the time but that doesn't change the fact that my ability to retreat or quickly change direction has improved.  Like PegLeg, I'm limited in my movements by a multiple fracture incident and though probably more mobile than he, not too fast on my feet anymore.

Shortly after, I myself committed to a full time CCW and have it with me when allowed by law.  At least one firearm is near me, on me or traveling with me everywhere.  Avoidance, training and understanding your limitations will go a long way.

For me, if someone is close enough to clock with a cane, they've crossed the line I don't allowed to be crossed.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 02:56:17 PM »

DaverZ

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 10:11:38 AM »
I feel your pain brothers,the arthritis in my knees has forced me into retirement,its so bad i have trouble walking,retreat of fast maneuvering are lost to me.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 12:19:55 PM »
A cane or walking stick might have it's use even if it can't be used as a weapon.

It is a means to delay, distract and perhaps delude an attacker into thinking you are a bit less of a threat.

If carried in your firearm offhand, it can be raised causing the attacker to have to pause a bit and deal with it...if even just grabbing it or knocking it aside.

You can use the time to be making your draw with your primary hand.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

rat31465

• Jack of all Trades, Master of none.
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 12:28:16 PM »
Talk to Professional trainers, like Rob Pincus. Many are happy to tailor a class for those with limitations.

While I am sure that many instructors would happily make accomodations for me...this brings up another question I have...

How far should an instructor go to accomodate someone with Disabilites?

I wouldn't feel good about slowing up a fast moving class and limiting the experience others receive after spending their hard earned money for a quality class.

I knew I wasn't the only person facing these challenges and that if I but asked the right question to the right group I would get some responses.
As for the cane issue....I see many Tactical as well as Practical advantages to carrying one.  Whether or not I will eventually choose a sword cane is yet to be seen.  As an absolutely last ditch option....I think it would give a bad guy a reason to pause before pushing the attack on what he may have mistaken as an easy target.
"Get yourself a Glock and Lose that Nickle Plated Sissy Pistol."
Sam Gerard

david86440

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010, 01:55:36 PM »
A cane or walking stick might have it's use even if it can't be used as a weapon.

It is a means to delay, distract and perhaps delude an attacker into thinking you are a bit less of a threat.

If carried in your firearm offhand, it can be raised causing the attacker to have to pause a bit and deal with it...if even just grabbing it or knocking it aside.

You can use the time to be making your draw with your primary hand.

I use a cane to walk and really don't have a choice as to which hand/arm to use it with.

DGF

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2010, 02:13:03 PM »
This something I posted on another thread.

I am 70 years old. I carry a cane with me where ever I go. I live near DC and have no problem carrying it there. TSA will not question me if I travel by plane. I made my own cane from a blank 36" piece of white oak with a crook at one end. It is about 11/8th in dia.I got it on a website that sells stockman's canes for use with livestock. I cost me $8.50 plus shipping. I copied one of the canes I saw on the "Cane masters" website plus I made some additional modifications. I sharpened the end of the crook, not to a needle point but good enough. I also mitered the inside shaft of the cane to 45degrees which gives me basically a cutting edge without appearing so. I have Michael Janics "Martial Cane Concepts" CD and practice several times a week. Whether I will ever have to use it for self defense is a question I do not want answered. But if push comes to shove at least I am not unarmed. I generally also carry a folding knife.

For those of you that travel a cane is an ideal addition to your self defense arsenal. I enjoyed making the cane so much that I am going to make another with additional modifications , perhaps some brass inlay on the crook to give it a little additional weight. I have some other ideas as well but I have to be careful that it doesn't appear to be a sword or a war hammer, I think it can be done however for the sake of decorative art.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk