Author Topic: Opinions on capacity vs caliber in a ccw  (Read 29694 times)

cml03f

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Opinions on capacity vs caliber in a ccw
« on: July 05, 2010, 07:16:53 PM »
Hi everyone new to the forum, I don't want this discussion to turn into a fight about what caliber is the best. I would like to hear what people would prefer. The question is in a concealed weapon would you rather have a 10+1 round capacity of 9mm, 6+1 of .40 s&w, or 5+1 round capacity of .45 acp. I own own several different guns but most of them are full size, I'm have been looking into something smaller to be able to carry and conceal in shorts and a t-shirt because it is dang hot 10 months out of the year here in florida. Would love to here everyone's opinion especially Rob and Michael.

Fatman

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: Opinions on capacity vs caliber in a ccw
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 07:46:34 PM »
This is going to sound like a cop-out, but carry what you are comfortable with.  I carry my XD in .45 (13 + 1) almost exclusively. I'm comfortable with it, and found a nice location/holster that conceals it extremely well. I've also found that patterned shirts (tie dye, striped, hawaiian. textured) can make printing a non-issue, allowing me to carry a service/full size pistol.
Anti: I think some of you gentleman would choose to apply a gun shaped remedy to any problem or potential problem that presented itself? Your reverance (sic) for firearms is maintained with an almost religious zeal. The mind boggles! it really does...

Me: Naw, we just apply a gun-shaped remedy to those extreme life threatening situations that call for it. All the less urgent problems we're willing to discuss.

Ichiban

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 08:21:20 PM »
I'm in shorts and t-shirts all summer long and I have a commander sized steel 1911 on my hip the whole time.  I prefer the 1911 for several reasons: it's slim profile makes it easier to conceal, I shoot a 1911 better than my hi capacity 9mms, I like the additional safeties and have practiced enough that I deal with them without thinking, it makes a big hole in whatever I shoot.  If I can't get myself out of a situation with nine rounds of .45acp I have serious doubts that I could do it with 15 rounds of 9mm.  Shot placement rules.

The cop-out answer is the correct answer - carry what you are the most comfortable with (not what is the most comfortable to carry) and that you can shoot well.  A wise man once said that carrying was supposed to be comforting, not comfortable.

bulldog75

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 08:45:01 PM »
Glock 26 10+1 it is easy to conceal and I hardly notice I have it with me.

Been thinking of going to a 1911. .45 Knocks the crap out of them with the first shot.

Use to carry a S&W model 66 .357 a real man stopper. Hard to conceal.
Citizens sleep peacfully at night knowing that rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell

tombogan03884

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 12:18:07 AM »
Usually carry a 1911, considering a Para P-14, best of both worlds  ;D

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 01:36:54 PM »

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 04:51:14 AM »
there is no replacement for displacement.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 05:06:11 AM »
Hey cml, as similar questions/posts like this come up, most folks also carry 1 if not 2 extra magazines for semi's, or some form of strip(s) for revolvers. I like Bianchi.

Caliber and capacity will ultimately be up to you, there is such a wide selection.

I tend to carry different things on different days, as I too live in the swamps of Fla. Your skills and abilities are also a major factor.
Some folks carry a snub, 5 or 6 shots, but they practice ALOT, and it works for them. Others want the added comfort of knowing they have 7,8,9-14+ rds. of "x" and it works for them also.

I don't feel undergunned when I carry my Taurus M85 loaded with 5 Rem GS +P .38's., or even my Kel-Tec P3AT .380 with Cor-Bon rds.

On other days, my FN9 or M+P .40 works, with Winchester SXT's.

Remember, 1 or 2 well placed "insert caliber", outweigh 10 or more rounds of misses, and those misses in an urban environment can include the potential of a bystander getting shot. You are responsible for every bullet.

Availability [You have to have it with you.]
Reliability [It has to 'go bang.']
Penetration [It has to reach important bits.]
Placement [You have to hit important bits.]

Welcome to DRTV.
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Ichiban

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 07:13:28 AM »
Usually carry a 1911, considering a Para P-14, best of both worlds  ;D

Tom,
You might want to look at a Springfield GI hi-cap http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=11.  Para quality and customer service doesn't seem to be what it once was.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 07:30:28 AM »
I've been doing this little dance. I carry a G-26 and love it. When it hits 90 degrees, I love it less. I tried a Bond in .357. Loved it. Wish I never traded it. YET.....do I trust myself with an SA no matter how small it is? as a BUG, yes. Primary carry? I don't know. Likewise, I have looked at a P32. Light, small reliable, but a .32. I might rebuy the Bond, I might go kel-tec. Odds are good though that I'll just stick with the Glock and wear long pants as I trust it (and as importantly trust me using it) completely.
FQ13

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 08:22:21 AM »
I dont think you should worry about having "only" 6 rounds of 45 acp. Its gonna give you every chance to get home in probably 99.999% of situations that might arise.

Personally, I start to feel uncomfortable around the 5 round mark < or = .38 special. Yes, it is a capable round but I worry about having to face multiple attackers with only five rounds. 
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk