Author Topic: Opinions on capacity vs caliber in a ccw  (Read 29697 times)

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Opinions on capacity vs caliber in a ccw
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2010, 03:39:47 PM »
This not a simple question with an easy answer, many good points of view, especially, how do you dress, everyday, that is going to be major factor, as to how you carry and what you carry comfortably, within reason.  Also, what do you do, all day, are you suit and tie, industrial, where you have to bend and carry things for folks, I am in a position where, I meet and greet, and sometimes crawl under cars in the parking lot to have a quick look at a problem, IWB does not work for that, a belly band would, and I have used one in the past, TIP, put the belly band around your chest, with the pistol accessible through your shirt sleeve. My choice is a pocket holster with a J frame 9mm and 2 reloads in my left pocket, now only 50' from me is my tool box, which has a Kahr K40 and 4 magazines and an SKS with folding stock and 50 rounds, then another 30' is my truck with my Glock 21 and 3 13 rd mags. My layered defense.

A teacher of mine does a drill, simple but puts things in perspective, the drill, is draw and fire all the ammo you have in your pistol for as long as you can, long after 1911's have gone quiet, the Glocks, Sigs, CZ's, M&P's are still shooting, his point, you get to fight longer, now he is from a military background, but does have a point.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2010, 05:57:01 PM »
... long after 1911's have gone quiet, the Glocks, Sigs, CZ's, M&P's are still shooting, his point, you get to fight longer...

Now where did I leave that damn trophy at?
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2010, 06:06:34 PM »

We've been using it for a spittoon over in the corner, Glock-boy.  :-*

M25 speaks good words, though.  ;)
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Timothy

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2010, 06:08:07 PM »
long after 1911's have gone quiet, the Glocks, Sigs, CZ's, M&P's are still shooting, his point, you get to fight longer, now he is from a military background, but does have a point.

Unless, your stupid enough to live in a state with restrictions on magazine capacity, like I am!  Then, we get no more than eleven rounds regardless and the criminals are free to use automatic weapons against us......gun laws here make so much sense........NOT!

I agree entirely with M25's opinion.

and when eric finds his trophy, I'll second that!

full disclosure, I carry a 1911 in the winter and a .357 revolver in the summer.  Center mass matters, all others pay cash!

Timothy

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2010, 06:09:16 PM »

What ya got in yer pocket Peg.....me thinks a G26.....

;D

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 03:16:27 PM »

Overload

• Lefty Expert
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2010, 06:14:11 PM »
I've been weighing this myself as of late.  I decided to carry a small, light 1911 .45acp.  I can shoot it accurately, but it does have horrible recoil.  I shot it in a class, so I put a good number of rounds through it.  I have a 9mm that's smaller and lighter that carries the same number of shots, so I picked the 24oz gun over the 17oz gun.

Of course, you can't have too many pocket pistols unless you're Meryl Stryfe.
We have seen the future: and it's expensive. -Michael Bane
Home of the Tickle Me Pamela Anderson. -Michael Bane
Weasels are the switchblade-carrying psychos of the animal world, the meanest creatures on the planet by aggression-level-to-body-weight ratio. -Marko Kloos

Overload in Colorado

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2010, 06:16:28 PM »
What ya got in yer pocket Peg.....me thinks a G26.....

;D

In my pocket? A NAA mini .22.  ;D

Next to it in a SERPA? A Glock 27 (9+1) ......wish I'da bought a 30.  ;)  ;)  ;)

1911 man at heart, but I'm not a hypocrite.....I just like poking at Eric from time to time. ;D

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

GUNS-R-US

• Top Forum Member
  • We must protect & defend our freedoms!
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2010, 06:34:18 PM »

IMAO!!!
Mike Kramer
NRA "Benefactor" Life Member 
2AF Life Member

Timothy

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2010, 06:47:26 PM »
1911 man at heart, but I'm not a hypocrite.....I just like poking at Eric from time to time. ;D

I understand.....I'd buy a G26 myself if I could find one here in the Peoples Republic...

"Did I say that!" (in my best Urkle voice!)

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2010, 06:58:07 PM »
I understand.....I'd buy a G26 myself if I could find one here in the Peoples Republic...

"Did I say that!" (in my best Urkle voice!)

In all seriousness, and pertaining to the thread, the reason I went with the G27 at the time was the balance/trade-off between caliber and capacity. With a Pearce grip extension, I could have 10+1 of a .40 caliber round in a light-weight, concealable gun. I carry the standard length mag in the gun so it doesn't print, giving me 10 in the heater. I then have two mags with the +1 extensions giving me 20 more in the ready room.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk