Author Topic: My current carry setup: Glock 19 w/C-More STS Red Dot (3.5 MOA)  (Read 18941 times)

fullautovalmet76

My current carry setup: Glock 19 w/C-More STS Red Dot (3.5 MOA)
« on: September 29, 2010, 09:36:27 PM »
Michael wrote about this type of thing on his blog or in a forum post; I forgot which.
I have been carrying the G19 this way for about two months now and I like it alot. I have shot Steel Challenge matches with it and can confess that I get on target faster and with the same accuracy as I did with iron sights. I have had to do several tap-rack drills when my reloads didn't fire and the optic was just fine. I carry it around in my truck where it has been knocked around with no problems there either. Incidentally, the sight is zeroed for 25 yards.

I know: if the battery goes out or the optic fails me I will resort to point shooting or my back up gun(s). I'm willing to take the risk for the advantage it provides. I will say that having a system like the FNP Tactical 45 that allows for an optic and BUIS is the way to go though! I check the sight religiously and keep a spare set of batteries around just in case. Changing the battery is very simple to do also.

I think something like this, especially like the FN pistol, is the future.

-FA

cookie62

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: My current carry setup: Glock 19 w/C-More STS Red Dot (3.5 MOA)
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 09:42:12 PM »
I realy like the ideal of a red dot on a pistol. Did you have any trouble mounting the sight? Tactical one has a deal where you can buy a slide with a red dot attached, and co-wittnessed sights that are taller than stock sights. But the $1200 price is a little steep for me.
A bird in the hand is worth..Well, about a box of shells!
Yes, I'm bitter and cling to guns and religion..

fullautovalmet76

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 09:46:44 PM »
I realy like the ideal of a red dot on a pistol. Did you have any trouble mounting the sight? Tactical one has a deal where you can buy a slide with a red dot attached, and co-wittnessed sights that are taller than stock sights. But the $1200 price is a little steep for me.

No problem for me- I had my favorite gunsmith put the dovetail mount on!  ;) But that wasn't that hard though, I didn't have rear sight installation tool or I would have done it myself. After the mount is on, screw in two screws and it's off to the  range to zero it in!

Yeah, $1,200 would make me think twice too. But I think the price of this stuff is going to come down over the next few years where it will be very viable for all of us.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 10:26:55 PM »
Two questions.
One: How much dinero? I like red dot optics. My eotech has made me not just a convert, but a missionary. Askiing me about it is like asking a normal person about their grand kid. ;D Still, they get pricy.
Two: what kind of holster and carry set-up do you use? It seems more likely to get hung up than a pistol without the optic.
FQ13

tombogan03884

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 02:46:09 AM »
I'll echo FQ's post, except I don't need to ask price, (Not rich, to poor to care  ;D  ) While I am distrustful of battery power I can see where this would be perfect for the video game generations learning to shoot now.
I am really curious about Holster, and carry comfort (My 1911 hammer spur jabs me in the ribs  ;D  ).
Also, since it is mounted on a Glock, I hope you will treat it like a Glock, when you toss it in the truck do it from 20 feet away. I'm really interested how it will hold up to out right abuse.
I mean after all, if you need a gun in the real world, your day is already plenty crappy,why give Murphy a chance to make it worse by cracking the lens of your sight .    :-\

Sponsor

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 03:05:39 AM »
I'll echo FQ's post, except I don't need to ask price, (Not rich, to poor to care  ;D  ) While I am distrustful of battery power I can see where this would be perfect for the video game generations learning to shoot now.
I am really curious about Holster, and carry comfort (My 1911 hammer spur jabs me in the ribs  ;D  ).
Also, since it is mounted on a Glock, I hope you will treat it like a Glock, when you toss it in the truck do it from 20 feet away. I'm really interested how it will hold up to out right abuse.
I mean after all, if you need a gun in the real world, your day is already plenty crappy,why give Murphy a chance to make it worse by cracking the lens of your sight .    :-\
Thats why I carry a Glock and hunt with a beat up 93 year old Parker. Push comes to shove with a gun, hunting or SD, I want something that I know will work no matter what I do to it. Its why I think Timex had the best add campaign ever. "Takes a licking and keeps on ticking". If I have to "take care of it and provide regular maintainence" I really don't want to own it when it comes to a serious gun or optic. What I want is something that will work if I beat the hell out of it, drop it in the dirt,  and give it an annual cleaning whether it needs it or not. :-\
FQ13

tombogan03884

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 03:10:37 AM »
The only reason I carry my 1911 instead of a revolver is because this one is like my Tokarev's over the years, If there is a round in the chamber it goes bang when the trigger is pulled, clean,dirty, lubed, dry, 100%, always.
The first time that doesn't happen, it's back to the Smith.
Unless things are good, then maybe a G-20  ;D

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 03:30:32 AM »
The only reason I carry my 1911 instead of a revolver is because this one is like my Tokarev's over the years, If there is a round in the chamber it goes bang when the trigger is pulled, clean,dirty, lubed, dry, 100%, always.
The first time that doesn't happen, it's back to the Smith.
Unless things are good, then maybe a G-20  ;D
There is hope for you yet. Dittos on the Smith though. Mine is an accidental gun that I really didn't want. Its a non +p rated four inch .38. Its nickel plated, large, and ugly, with crappy sights. I keep meaning to get rid of it. Oddly enough, I never do. 8)
FQ13

tombogan03884

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 03:34:28 AM »
There is hope for you yet. Dittos on the Smith though. Mine is an accidental gun that I really didn't want. Its a non +p rated four inch .38. Its nickel plated, large, and ugly, with crappy sights. I keep meaning to get rid of it. Oddly enough, I never do. 8)
FQ13

Blue 4inch K frame (Model 13 ) .357  ;D

Paraguy

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 07:20:27 AM »
Why go with a big optic rather than a laser like Crimson Trace?  You acquire the target quickly under a stress situation and it is smaller and easier to carry?
Guns don't kill people, bullets kill people.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk