Author Topic: FMJ Ball For Self Defense?  (Read 37417 times)

DBC

• Forum Member
    • DBC
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
FMJ Ball For Self Defense?
« on: November 01, 2012, 04:42:57 PM »
So, I've been having a fairly lively discussion with a compadre of mine who is very adamant that the FMJ ball ammo he loads in his Glock 27 is perfectly fine for self-defense.  I disagree, and come down on the side of high quality hollow point or ballistic-tip expanding bullets, as do most reputable trainers and subject matter experts.

Anybody else out there advocate in favor of FMJ ammo for daily defensive carry?  Discuss...

;D

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: FMJ Ball For Self Defense?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 05:08:39 PM »
I like FMJ in cold weather for penetration through heavy clothing. I generally keep my spare mag loaded with FMJ in my 1911 and my Mil Pro .40. Ball ammo will usually always feed . 8)
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 05:24:42 PM »
There are only 2 times I would recomend ball out of a pistol...  1 you are in nj.  2 its all you have.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 06:03:14 PM »
I agree with TAB.  There are a number of rounds that have bullet shapes or polymer plugs in the hp to help feeding and expansion to use ball. 

JMHOFWIW

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

tombogan03884

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 06:18:52 PM »
Hollow points might not expand on occasion, FMJ never will.
Unless your pistol has feeding issues it is just plain foolish to use 19th century ammo in a late 20th century gun.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:27:07 PM »

WatchManUSA

• NRA Life Member - Join the NRA!
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 06:53:06 PM »
If FMJ were the most effective load they would be used by police departments. Instead they use JHP. Hornady has some great ammo if you are concerned about penetration through heavy clothing. They make Critical Defense and Critical Duty ammo in addition to TAP. Also, Double Tap is making some pistol ammo with a JHP bullet on top of a solid ball in their Extreme line.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies." (Groucho Marx)

MinotBob

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 07:17:47 PM »
I believe that Tom Gresham once said that Clint Smith used FMJ in his EDC.
Pray for Obama. Psalm 109:8

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 07:38:34 PM »
I believe that Tom Gresham once said that Clint Smith used FMJ in his EDC.

I'd have to hear that from Clint Smith to believe it.

Ball ammunition wasn't "agreed upon" for use in warfare at one of those "conventions" after the wars because it was the most deadly round available.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 09:06:20 PM »
There are only 2 times I would recomend ball out of a pistol...  1 you are in nj.  2 its all you have.

Actually, a lot of us are now using the Hornady FTX with the nylon or plastic center plug- expands on contact and it doesn't have that evil hole in the middle that Lautenmummy doesn't like.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

devzal

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 09:23:10 PM »
Just load it 50/50 and double tap, if it comes up and let the bad guy decide which one he prefers.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk