Author Topic: Body Armor for the home  (Read 22989 times)

1776 Rebel

Re: Body Armor for the home
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2009, 09:11:03 PM »
The blankets do cost a chunk of change....the shield is a little bit cheaper.

http://www.botachtactical.com/usarbabl.html

http://www.bestsafetyapparel.com/bo3.html

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2009, 09:19:37 PM »
The blankets do cost a chunk of change....the shield is a little bit cheaper.

http://www.botachtactical.com/usarbabl.html

http://www.bestsafetyapparel.com/bo3.html

Rob -

Second link in this post contains a message "Exporting Level III and IV armor plates requires a U.S. State Department export permit. Some countries may require a Department of Commerce export license for Body Armor. It is the SOLE responsibility of the purchaser to ensure that all transactions conform to US and local Federal, State and Local Statutes, Codes, and Ordinances.Residents of Connecticut are prohibited from buying Body Armor unless the sale is face to face (or unless the buyer is a police officer, Police Department, or military). We cannot ship to residents of Connecticut who are not police or military.. FYI
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

Rob Pincus

• CO-HOST ON BEST DEFENSE
  • Top Forum Member
    • I.C.E. Training Company
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2009, 08:51:46 AM »
Yes, Path... that is in reference to that weird law I alluded to about face to face sales only for non-gov't sales. They are not illiegal in CT.

In regard to shields, I recommend the Patriot 3 products, such as this, because of the versatility and relative affordability: http://www.patriot3online.com/2007_Minuteman_Brochure.pdf.

Tom,

The performance of teh blanket is related to how you are using it and, as you alluded to, how  or if it is "mounted". If you wrp the blanket around you, you are going to get thumped. If you drape it over a person or two huddled in the corner, you risk the edges getting "pushed" out of the way, but certain voids might absorb the motion that would cause the thumb. If the the blanke is mounted in a way to forum a vertical curtain or wall (as they are sometimes designed to be used in vehicles to increase protection during an ambush), you can avoid both penetration and thumb, if it is done properly.... the latter solution reduces the versatility of the blanket solution, however.

-RJP

cookie62

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2009, 10:00:42 AM »
Why do you feel this way cookie62? Threat of felons and badguys using them for no-good? Would it be okay is the honest..law-abbiding citizens used it in their home? Would it be okay if police have them and everyone else not? Would that be right or fair? Should we fear the police? Should the police fear the honest civilian? I have family that work in law enforcement..so I understand both sides.. I just wondered why the frowny.. 

Sorry, I did mean Illegal. Maybe I'm thinking of the "while committing a crime" part. But I could swear I have read that some of the laws proposed after the Hollywood shootout had passed. Sorry for the confusion. I'll try to do some more research and repost.
A bird in the hand is worth..Well, about a box of shells!
Yes, I'm bitter and cling to guns and religion..

cookie62

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2009, 12:39:56 PM »
After more research the only laws I found are for felons and in commision of a crime. I did find 3 propased laws that were never passed. (California, NY, and Florida)
A bird in the hand is worth..Well, about a box of shells!
Yes, I'm bitter and cling to guns and religion..

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 03:03:50 PM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2009, 01:05:12 PM »
Yes, Path... that is in reference to that weird law I alluded to about face to face sales only for non-gov't sales. They are not illiegal in CT.

In regard to shields, I recommend the Patriot 3 products, such as this, because of the versatility and relative affordability: http://www.patriot3online.com/2007_Minuteman_Brochure.pdf.

Tom,

The performance of teh blanket is related to how you are using it and, as you alluded to, how  or if it is "mounted". If you wrp the blanket around you, you are going to get thumped. If you drape it over a person or two huddled in the corner, you risk the edges getting "pushed" out of the way, but certain voids might absorb the motion that would cause the thumb. If the the blanke is mounted in a way to forum a vertical curtain or wall (as they are sometimes designed to be used in vehicles to increase protection during an ambush), you can avoid both penetration and thumb, if it is done properly.... the latter solution reduces the versatility of the blanket solution, however.

-RJP

That's food for thought, When you go to the safe room have the members of the family who will not be participating in protection, (kids, wife depending on skill level ) hunker in a corner and pull the ballistic blanket around them being sure to tuck in and secure the edges. Even sitting on them should help. Perhaps prepare in advance a method of securely hanging the blanket such as installing grommets that can be placed over hooks in the wall, (make sure you hit studs when screwing in the hooks and don't trust small cup hooks, use the larger steel type available at the hardware store ) Perhaps they could also be hung on a wall that you might be shooting toward to lessen the chance of over penetration or a missed shot going astray. This might be a special consideration for apartment dwellers or those who live in closely built developments.

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2009, 01:19:08 PM »
some years back I traded a rifle for body armor, its a full vest that you would wear over clothing protecting groin area. Something to be used in only extreme cases . Better to have and not need etc. etc.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2009, 01:19:50 PM »
Shower curtain  ;D
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

tombogan03884

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2009, 01:48:33 PM »
Shower curtain  ;D

If its around a cast iron tub, it may not be a bad idea at all.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2009, 05:09:13 PM »
If its around a cast iron tub, it may not be a bad idea at all.

i'd be really shocked if a bullet from a hand gun could make it thru a old cast iron tub.  Crack it all up yes, make a very loud noise, but not pentrate.   Many of them are in the 5-600 lb range... They often take 6 guys to get out of a bathroom.  Many are ~ 1/2" on the sides.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk