Author Topic: OBTAING A CCW PERMIT IN ERIE COUNTY PA - BEST CCW WEAPON FOR DISABLED PERSON  (Read 21689 times)

wheels

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I use a wheelchair due to a car accident that left me paralyzed from the chest down. I have a CCW and I carry a 9mm springfield xd in my back pack. This makes it a bit slower for me to draw if I had to - but if you hang around on this site long enough - you will learn that your best defense is situation awareness.

I don't like the revolver as a carry weapon b/c you usually have a harder trigger pull. Plus your saying your wanting a small gun with a lot of oomph. Have you shot that gun before? Are you able to shoot that gun with accuracy? You don't want to pull the trigger and hit the wrong person.

I went to gun range, got a lot of cool advice from people here and finally chose to carry the 9mm xd. I chose the xd because of the safety features the gun has. Also you can tell on visual inspection if that gun has a shell in the chamber, if the gun is cocked and ready to fire. You can't tell with a revolver or most 1911's & glocks. That is why your always supposed to treat a gun as if it's loaded. But if everyone did that - there would be a lot less accidental shootings now wouldn't there??

I still intend to get a 357 for personal protection at the house. My point is to do your best to learn about guns. Shoot often. Ask lots of questions. As long as your cool - people will love to tell you what they think and help you find what fits you best. I also got a .22 Smith and wesson 617. I use that to shoot a lot of cheep ammo vs the 9mm which costs a bit more to feed. Practice, practice practice. Your not only practicing how to shoot accurately but your practicing how to be safe with a gun.

Have fun.
Wheels.

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
I believe it is in conjunction with the concealed weapon.  How many CCW holders carry a knife and maybe even an impact weapon?  I believe the IW can also be used when a gun is not warranted.

JMHO

Richard

PS:  Maybe Rob or Mike or MB can comment.
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
I carry gun only..... I am contemplating the necessity of carrying reloads
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

tombogan03884

I believe it is in conjunction with the concealed weapon.  How many CCW holders carry a knife and maybe even an impact weapon?  I believe the IW can also be used when a gun is not warranted.

JMHO

Richard

PS:  Maybe Rob or Mike or MB can comment.

S&W Extreme Ops folding knife and 1911  ;D

PoorSoulInJersey

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
I carry gun only..... I am contemplating the necessity of carrying reloads

I used to debate that myself. Then my first magazine-based malfunction happened at the range (follower got jammed) and I saw the need to have a second magazine with me if I'm carrying. Otherwise I could end up like the bad guys in the old Superman shows, throwing the gun at whoever is assaulting me.
-Tom

Sponsor

dsawi52695

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
I would not get the 327. even if its every thing its hiped up to be( nothing ever is) I would still rather have a 357 mag or 38+p for two reasons:

1 ammo is going to be alot cheaper/ easier to find.  Now and in the future

2 its has proven to be an effective tool.

As far as the judge, I don't think its a good choice for you do to you lack of mobilty.  410 out of a short barrel is not exactly a man stoper. Its great for when you want some one to stop so you can run away( great anti car jacking weapon.)  You can't run away.
The 45 colt on the other hands is a very powerful round, there are better platforms for 45 colt then the judge.

Using these recommendations of a .357 mag or .38+P as a guide, which model(s) would be suggested?  Pros & Cons of each please.  Keeping in mind, that price will play a factor in the weapon I choose.  I am surprised that the .357 Mag was given as a possible choice, due to its recoil.  Am I missing something?

Thank you again for your time, consideration, and cooperation. I hope to hear from you soon,

David

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
the reason why I said 357 mag as its a slightly heavyer gun then one made 38+p.  That extra wieght will help with recoil. 
You don't have to shoot 357 loads, in your 357, but you can't shoot 357 loads in your 38.

In this case a wheel chair will be envoled so you most likly could hid a bigger gun.  Say a 4" or 5" gun rather then a 2" or 3" snubby.

Also since wieght is not as big of a concern I would get an all steel gun.  I personally like smith revos, and there are plenty of them out there in the used market for half of what they retail for.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Taurus, Charter, and Ruger are probably the most economical, but S&W in .38 can be had for a reasonable price
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
Using these recommendations of a .357 mag or .38+P as a guide, which model(s) would be suggested?  Pros & Cons of each please.  Keeping in mind, that price will play a factor in the weapon I choose.  I am surprised that the .357 Mag was given as a possible choice, due to its recoil.  Am I missing something?

Thank you again for your time, consideration, and cooperation. I hope to hear from you soon,

David

I'd say the biggest reason to go with a .357 is price, selection, and availability of ammo. The .327 Magnum is relatively new and not a lot of loads are yet available. With the .357, you can practice with cheap .38 special ammo. There is just a wider range of ammo selection for the .357/.38spl.
Although, with the .327, you can shoot several other .32 caliber loads such as .32 S&W Long and .32 H&R Magnum.

All things considered, I can't find anything bad to say about the .327 round, but I stand by my earlier post and feel that in similar sized guns, go with the bigger caliber. You can always download the .357/.38spl, but you can only go so far upwards with the .327.
Basically, anything the the .327 can do, the .357 or .38 spl can do better....and with a bigger bullet...IMHO.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Frisco

• Ugly, broke down, retired old fart.
  • Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
I speak from personal experience here...I spent almost two years in a wheelchair, and still have to use it occaisionally.  I am a former police officer, who was injured in the line of duty, and as a result, am now retired.

First, as Mr. Pincus mentioned, the weight of the pistol will be born by the chair.  Concealment will likewise be handled for the most part by the chair as well.  This makes carrying a full-sized fighting handgun possible, practical, and to me....preferable. 

Typically, I carry a GLock 19 or a Glock 30 in an IWB crossdraw holster with spare magazines in a similar crossdraw magazine pouch to the left of the gun, while in my chair.  It is easily, and rapidly accessible AND comfortable.  It conceals well for a couple of reasons.  First of which is when you are in a wheelchair....you are invisible.  Face it...people give us a quick glance, then look away as if we weren't there.  "CUN CARRIER or ARMED CITIZEN" is the last thing MOST people will think of as they try not to see us.  While in a wheelchair, cover garments are even more effective, as the clothing tends to bunch up, or fold differently.  This is an advantage to us.  Third, while in the chair, NO ONE notices a jacket over your lap, or any other such "handicap" aid that we may be using.

I use the same methodology while using my powered mobility scooter.  The scooter seat has no arms, and my usual holster placement on my right hip isn't as discreet as it would be if I were walking, so I go back to IWB crossdraw.

As for choice of weapon...I carry a Glock because in my personal experience, they have been 100% reliable.  I have literally hundreds of thousands of rounds down range from my various Glock models and have never had a gun-related malfunction.  I can't even say that about my Wilson Combat 1911, or my Sig P220.  The ballistic payload, 16 rounds in a Glock 19, or 11 rounds in a Glock 30, make it a weapon I can engage a target with, and not have to further manipulate the weapon as often were I to carry a revolver.   This is just my personal choice.  No one who is good with a wheelgun is ever undergunned, unless he is facing someone who is good with a rifle!

I don't know the extent of your physical limitations, but I have full use of my upper body and all my upper body strength.

I practice weekly on my home range, and I practice from standing, and from sitting.  I practice strong, and weak hand, and on multiple targets.  Handicapped doesn't mean VICTIM. 

Best of luck, I mean that.
God bless, and sincere thanks to all our fine people in uniform.  You pay for our freedom, and for that we owe you all we can give you.  Thank you.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk