Author Topic: do you give a warning or not?  (Read 27001 times)

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
do you give a warning or not?
« on: May 20, 2009, 08:30:36 AM »
I've gone back and forth on this over the years.

There is a bad guy in your house at night,  you are armed, on the phone with 911, you have already "collected" your family... They do not see you and do not know where you are.(<<<<< very important)

Do you yell at the bad guy to GTFO, telling him your armed... blah blah  blah.

or do you wait, in pretty much silence?( talking to the 911 operator of corse.

now if they see you then I am all for telling them to GTFO and I'm armed.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: do you give a warning or not?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 08:34:56 AM »
If they see me I'm gonna shoot them.  (I am assuming I have identified them to the exdtent that I do not know them and that they intend mischief)
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

DonWorsham

• MWAG
  • Top Forum Member
  • I feel more like I do now than I ever did
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 08:43:35 AM »
Buy the dvd for the first season of The Best Defense. This topic is covered.
Don Worsham
Varied Movements Performed Intensely

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 08:47:26 AM »
In that scenario, I would say no. MB gave a wonderful personal example in a thread a while back where communication led to a deescalation of events and spared him from having to take a life.

In the scenario you are describing, I think it is best not to give up your tactical advantage (surprise). When things escalate to the point where a home invader is that deep into your home and that close to your family, there is no reason to not take decisive action and stop the threat. At the point you are describing the scenario, you are literally "backed into a corner" with no where to go. The consequences of things not going 100% in your favor are too great, and I see no reason to decrease the percentages of bringing you and your family out alive.    
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

Rob Pincus

• CO-HOST ON BEST DEFENSE
  • Top Forum Member
    • I.C.E. Training Company
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 08:55:32 AM »
Warning.

Here are some reasons why:

1.If you've set yourself so that you are at a 90 degree angle to the entrance to your safe room, you still have an element of surprise when BG comes in the room.

2. I think it s a stretch to assume that you are still going to have "tactical advantage" or "surprise" if you have "collected your family" and are talking to 911. Unless you are in a REALLY big house with REALLY good insulation, etc, the BG's going to hear you. Think about how much sound carries in your home at 2 am when everything else is quiet.

3. It is still better to not have to shoot. The warning may provide that option.

4. By giving the warning, I think you can actually shoot sooner when/if the BG comes into the room. By giving the warning, you can now by much more sure that it is not your neighbor frantic over some issue you don't know about. You can be more sure it isn't a long lost relative or your son's best friend. You can also be more assured that it isn't some random drunk/drugged person in the wrong house (see the "Should vs. Could" thread). If you've given the warning (even more one that is recorded on the 911 call), you are that much more justified and it will sit that much better in the aftermath of the event regardless of who you end up shooting if they do come in.

-RJP

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 01:42:59 PM »

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 887
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 08:59:03 AM »
In the words of Yackoff Smirnoff, "... a warning shot is when they shoot your friend."

Seriously -

In this situation I sit like a mother bird on her nest, I cover and conceal my family and wait.  I say nothing and do nothing until LE arrive and clear.  However, at first sight of human flesh, or whatever is covering it, I announce, confirm (remember that good guys are assumed to be on way, and the fact that it isn't drunk brother hasn't been confirmed yet) and fire!
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 09:10:49 AM »
Number 4 is a intresting take.

I wish I could wait at a 90 in the "safe room", I live in a multi family, if I missed or had a pass thru, I would be shooting into another units bed room.  the good news is my hall way is murder.  two off set 90 turns, you can't see past the 2nd until you turn the corner.    down the hall way is also by far my best back stop.  2 int walls, frige, garage, wood garage door.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Timothy

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 09:13:31 AM »
Keep in mind that all states don't have the Castle Doctrine.  Here in MA and CT, you'd better be darn sure your life is imminent danger before you shoot someone.  A warning is the only way to somewhat assure that you're not the one going to prison for shooting someone even within the confines of your own home.  Make sure that the 911 dispatch hears that warning very clearly.

Rob gives very sage advice on this matter.

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 09:31:40 AM »
Everyone has a different situation as far as where you live, proximity to people and number of family. My situation is very simple and easy to make this decision. I dont warn.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 09:44:55 AM »
Tim makes a great point about state laws, and Rob also provides great feedback....... and if given the option, I think a warning is beneficial..... but as I read this scenario, I see it as a "Should".

*Here is the referenced Should vs Could thread:
http://www.downrange.tv/forum/index.php?topic=4939.0

*Here is the referenced MB incident:
http://www.downrange.tv/forum/index.php?topic=4939.msg58623#msg58623
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk