Author Topic: 5.7 for Self Defense  (Read 44565 times)

kdcarlso

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
5.7 for Self Defense
« on: May 27, 2009, 11:37:41 AM »
Is there any real-life information on how the FN 5.7 round performs in a self defense situation? Is this a round worth looking at for that purpose or is it too small?

Thanks..

Timothy

Re: 5.7 for Self Defense
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 02:42:01 PM »
OK, I'll bite...

1)  Only one handgun that accepts this cartridge.....the FN Five-seveN
2)  Finding ammunition is questionable...
3)  Velocity is very high but mass is very low...not neccessarily a good thing in close quarters.
4)  Most BG are not going to be wearing body armour in most instances......they tend to be rather squishy and soft... ;D

I would never consider this a true "self defense" caliber....

Great for prairie dogs though!

long762range

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 03:01:01 PM »
Ballistically the 5.7 is very similar to the 22 WMR.  The SS195 contains a 28 gr projectile which attains a velocity of 2132 fps in the rifle, 1890 fps in the pistol.  Federals 22 WMR Game-Shok - 30 grain JHP; MV 2200 fps (rifle), MV 1610 fps (pistol).

It will not penetrate a level IIA Kevlar vest, or Spectra vests.

Duty rounds are mandated for military and law enforcement use only.  They will penetrate level IIA  but not Level IIIA Kevlar vests.
Tests by Dr. Gary K Roberts showed a penetration of 12 inches in 10% Ballistic gelatin with duty rounds.
http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/product1209.html

That is why the Star Gate team has such trouble killing Jaffa with their P90s

;D
"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous.  If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for."

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 03:11:44 PM »
Ballistically the 5.7 is very similar to the 22 WMR.  The SS195 contains a 28 gr projectile which attains a velocity of 2132 fps in the rifle, 1890 fps in the pistol.  Federals 22 WMR Game-Shok - 30 grain JHP; MV 2200 fps (rifle), MV 1610 fps (pistol).

It will not penetrate a level IIA Kevlar vest, or Spectra vests.

Duty rounds are mandated for military and law enforcement use only.  They will penetrate level IIA  but not Level IIIA Kevlar vests.
Tests by Dr. Gary K Roberts showed a penetration of 12 inches in 10% Ballistic gelatin with duty rounds.
http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/product1209.html

That is why the Star Gate team has such trouble killing Jaffa with their P90s

;D

Now that right there is empirical proof!   ;D
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

kdcarlso

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 12:03:51 PM »
I thought it would have "knock down" issues but when discussing with a friend I was told the secret service is using it so it must work. I don't know this to be true and my thinking was that since I live in the suburbs that it would be similar to a .223 in that it would not tend to go through many walls. I was hoping someone would have knowledge of military, police or self defense shootings and what the results were.

Thanks for the comments..

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:29:30 PM »

Timothy

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 12:13:51 PM »
According to the CEO of Sig Sauer, the US Secret Service uses the Sig ...

http://www.americanexecutive.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6862

1911 Junkie

• Top Forum Member
  • aka Mr 4000
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 12:19:17 PM »
There's a couple of Secret Service guys that come to the Lead Free Championship Match in July. I don't recall them mentioning this in the past but I'll double check with them this year(if I remember).
"I'd love to spit some Beechnut in that dudes eye and shoot him with my old .45"  Hank Jr.

Texas_Bryan

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 12:47:58 PM »
OK, I'll bite...

1)  Only one handgun that accepts this cartridge.....the FN Five-seveN
2)  Finding ammunition is questionable...
3)  Velocity is very high but mass is very low...not neccessarily a good thing in close quarters.
4)  Most BG are not going to be wearing body armour in most instances......they tend to be rather squishy and soft... ;D

I would never consider this a true "self defense" caliber....

Great for prairie dogs though!

Although I have no direct experience with it, I've always seen it a more of an offensive round.  Its seems its meant to penetrate armor, walls, and vehicles, with a large capacity mag, not hit someone as hard as possible, but rather defeat someones defensive measures at greater than standard pistol range.  Given that assumption, understand its only my opinion, I'd say that looking at likely self defense situations you would be better served with a conventional pistol caliber, if you need capacity go with 9mm, if you would prefer greater knockdown get a .45 ACP.

Its not that 5.7's to small, it seems to me that the caliber is meant for other purposes.  But if that's the gun you have, by all means it'll work.  If your still looking to buy, I my opinion, there are better options, but that requires you asking yourself alot of different questions.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 583
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 11:42:11 AM »
Same diameter bullet as the 5.56/.223 with lighter weight.  It's my primary home defense round specifically because it is, I believe, effective and will not overpenetrate walls like the 9mm, .40, .45, etc. and other rounds will.  The safety of my children is of paramount concern for me, the deciding factor is intrinsically providing for their safety as innocents and still being able to get the job done as necessary.  The round makes nasty wounds in varmints inside 20 yards....animals, though with with less bone mass than humans, being tougher than humans I can't see the round being the least ineffective for home defense.

Maybe it's mystique, but around the range I hang out at it's known as a very effective round in the context of short range use.  The research I performed on actual use was sufficient for me to be comfortable with the round.  And, at 50 for $20 it's a cheaper alternative than premium self-defense rounds in other pistol calibers.

The 22 mag slow powder burn can't generate 1900+ fps from a short barrel like the 5.7, so the comparison of the two is not an apples to apples comparison.  Being a rimless case, magazine (got it right, eh Haz!) feed issues are non-existent.  Weapons to chamber it in...the FN Five Seven and PS-90....are both expensive and not easy to find.  For such a "rare" round and base of firearms they sure sell a lot of that ammo in the gun shops around town.  After a 1000 rounds downrange, neither the Five SeveN pistol or PS-90 have ever had a malfunction.

Low recoil makes it, in my opinion, a very effective tool for women.  My wife has it on her side of the bed....and recognizes that a pistol is meant to get you to your rifle..which in her case is a PS-90 in 5.7.

Mr. Pincus and/or Mr. Janich, in your considerate opinions, is the 5.7 x 28 an effective round for home defense?
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Glock Certified Armorer & NRA Certified Instructor
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2009, 05:46:13 PM »
I was told the Secret Service was carrying the 5.7 rifle by a dealer at a gun show that was trying to talk me into buying one. Looking back I wish I would have purchased it cause the price for them has gone up over $500. Ammo I think would be difficult to find. I have not seen it since that same gun show last year.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk