Author Topic: CCW..Recommendations on calibers and holsters  (Read 29443 times)

JSC3ATLCSO

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: CCW..Recommendations on calibers and holsters
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2009, 07:09:31 PM »
Sorry, I may have put the mouth in gear before engaging the brain on this  :-[  For the record....I am not asking what I should carry  I just wanted to get opinions and info on what others are doing in the way of CCW. Also opinions on some of the smaller framed pistols/holsters.
 I know it is a wide open topic, but I'm a firefighter, not much of a writer. Thanks, and be safe.

Do you have something in mind or do you not want to pee in the pool just yet?

Good to hear from FF's though.. Another reason I carry.. Recently Former Chief of a Small Vol Fire Dept.  Driver of P level Ambulance (Area covered very rough rural areas - Drugs and Dogs) and Former Dispatcher for Local Sheriff's department.  Still on the Fire and Ambulance but Paying the bills at a new job.

tombogan03884

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2009, 07:11:15 PM »
Sorry, I may have put the mouth in gear before engaging the brain on this  :-[  For the record....I am not asking what I should carry  I just wanted to get opinions and info on what others are doing in the way of CCW. Also opinions on some of the smaller framed pistols/holsters.
 I know it is a wide open topic, but I'm a firefighter, not much of a writer. Thanks, and be safe.

Either a Govt. model 1911 or S&W model 13 .357 IWB, either just behind the right hip or cross draw depending on clothing.

Timothy

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2009, 07:23:34 PM »
Para LTC 1911 in .45 ACP for the colder months and a .357 snubbie for the warmer months.  Both in slide holsters, or on occasion the snub in a pocket holster when I'm wearing "grown up" clothes... ;D

Snub goes or I don't.....except to work!

JSC3ATLCSO

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2009, 07:35:07 PM »
Para LTC 1911 in .45 ACP for the colder months and a .357 snubbie for the warmer months.  Both in slide holsters, or on occasion the snub in a pocket holster when I'm wearing "grown up" clothes... ;D

Snub goes or I don't.....except to work!

Warmer Months?  Did you happen to notice he's from Georgia.. there is only Mildly hot and Hot there. 

Timothy

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2009, 07:43:10 PM »
Warmer Months?  Did you happen to notice he's from Georgia.. there is only Mildly hot and Hot there. 

Nope, didn't notice.   ;)  I did live in Florida for a year and it DOES get cold in the south, just not the mild, New England kind of friggin' freeze your ever loving ass off cold!    ;)

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 03:08:23 PM »

WaltGraham

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2009, 08:10:28 PM »
Good advice already, particularly from Tom and Tim.  Personally, I strongside pocket carry most of the time, a j-frame (.32 H&R mag.) in Hedley leather. The reload, blade and light ride weakside. The advantage to this carry mode is that a full firing grip can be acquired on the weapon covertly and it can be drawn quickly. In situations where I'm feeling less optimistic, I opt for a 5" gubmint model in a Crossbreed IWB holster. Of all of the IWB holsters I've worn, and there's been a bunch, it's been the most wearable and adjustable of the crop. The only "right" answer is the one that fits you.

Timothy

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2009, 08:24:59 PM »
Off topic....

Walt, can you shoot the .327 Federal out of your J-Frame or am I backwards?

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2009, 09:19:15 PM »
Off topic....

The main thing is, given minimal acceptable power, (which I put at .380, others .32, though I'll only carry a nine or bigger) is of course realibilty, then concealabilty, then some combination of accuracy and price. Personally I've carried a .38 cheif's special, a glock 19, a Bond .357 Derringer, a Kel-tec P11 and now a G-26, which is the winner for me.  All of the others were nice, although I did have trust issues with the Kel-tecs trigger. I just could not hate it enough, but your mileage may vary. First I'd evaluate your needs for concealment. Find a list of realiable guns that you can afford that fit and start reasearching. Fire what you can and ask us (and sane people too). And then understand that its all subjective. Unless the answer is Glock and then its gospel. ;D
FQ13

WaltGraham

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2009, 07:30:45 AM »
Off topic....

Nope, but as you said, you can go the other way. A gunwriter friend should be getting one of S&W's .327 offerings by summer's end and I plan to give it a test run. As I have a substantial quantity of .32 H&R mag. rounds, it may prove to be a natural upgrade for me. To address the "stopping power" issue; the .32 H&R mag. is capable of punching a hole through a 1" oak board. Like a really smart old gun guy used to tell me; if you're capable of making head shots under duress at 20 yds; the size of the bb doesn't much matter. But, as previously mentioned, everyone's mileage will vary.

shooter32

• shooter32
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2009, 09:48:34 AM »
.357 snubbie IWB and sometimes in the pocket. The snubbie goes where I go...Always.

I have carried my 9mm IWB in winter months but not very often.
A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. ~ Gerald Ford - August 12, 1974

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk