Author Topic: Open Carry vs Concealed Carry  (Read 21763 times)

Timothy

Re: Open Carry vs Concealed Carry
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2009, 01:53:01 PM »
David, thanks for the links but I've read our state laws several times and I have never found that we are a "Concealed Only" state.  As far as any other links other than the Government ones, I don't bother because it's just someone elses interpretation of our laws and I don't trust them.

Northeast Shooters is a great organization but I won't take the opinion of anyone other than a lawyer, familiar with our screwed up laws, as gospel.  It's MY job to make sure I'm legal, I trust absolutely NO ONE in this regard.

Several "Open Carry" sites state that we are not a traditional open carry state but open carry is legal as far as they can tell.

http://opencarry.org/ma.html
http://apps.carryconcealed.net/legal/massachusetts-ccw-state-laws.php

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2009, 02:12:35 PM »
David, thanks for the links but I've read our state laws several times and I have never found that we are a "Concealed Only" state.  As far as any other links other than the Government ones, I don't bother because it's just someone elses interpretation of our laws and I don't trust them.

Northeast Shooters is a great organization but I won't take the opinion of anyone other than a lawyer, familiar with our screwed up laws, as gospel.  It's MY job to make sure I'm legal, I trust absolutely NO ONE in this regard.

Several "Open Carry" sites state that we are not a traditional open carry state but open carry is legal as far as they can tell.

http://opencarry.org/ma.html
http://apps.carryconcealed.net/legal/massachusetts-ccw-state-laws.php
A wise decision. Every one has an opinion. The two that matter are yours and the prosecuter's. A smart person tries to make sure they are in agreement as much as possible. Others might volunteer to be a test case but on this I stand firmly with Haz. Let someone else do the beta testing.
FQ13

DavidC77

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2009, 03:28:19 PM »
I won't take the opinion of anyone other than a lawyer, familiar with our screwed up laws, as gospel.  It's MY job to make sure I'm legal, I trust absolutely NO ONE in this regard.

I agree, it is good to talk with a lawyer, NES's has some great lawyers that are on the site, Darius Arbabi has been very helpfull to me. Here's a few links to help you : http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=19145 , http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=18 .

I know I don't no all the laws either and as you no in Mass it can change daily and who is intrepting those laws also can see it there way. I'm just carefull myself and try to help where I can.

Good Luck.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway" John Wayne

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 887
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2009, 10:56:07 PM »
I want to clarify myself:

Earlier I said "concealed carry ..."  I want open carry to be allowed, but until the general public can get over its gun phobia I will conceal when I carry ... And I will carry every chance I get!
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2009, 12:14:03 AM »
even if you take out the public fear, I would still rather CC then OC.  the 2 main reasons for this are:

1 It does not put a target on the back of my head.

2 "out of sight out of mind"  can't ofend anyone if you don't know I have it, but I very strongly beleave that if you screw up while CCing ( IE ND, taking it some where forbiden)  you should lose your abilty to CC, for life.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 12:22:02 AM »

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2009, 12:25:53 AM »
even if you take out the public fear, I would still rather CC then OC.  the 2 main reasons for this are:

1 It does not put a target on the back of my head.

2 "out of sight out of mind"  can't ofend anyone if you don't know I have it, but I very strongly beleave that if you screw up while CCing ( IE ND, taking it some where forbiden)  you should lose your abilty to CC, for life.
A bit harsh on the latter TAB. I think that it should be judged on the nature of the offense, like driving. A purely technical, unintentional and harmless offense, a fine and one strike. Something intentional, but still technical and harmless, 2 strikes, a fine and a one year suspension. Something dangerous, and you lose.
FQ13   

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2009, 12:34:24 AM »
I disagree,  damage from your ND could get into the millions, with out too much trouble.

if you have a ND on my job site, you can bet your ass,  you will be getting a bill from me for what ever it cost me. 

I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

fitebak

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2009, 09:16:09 PM »
This book is coming out soon and the part that got my attention is that interviews with some criminals shows that if they can determine you are carrying they will just shoot you first if you have something they want. I vote for concealed carry, it just gives you more options, at your discretion. Don't show your hand, stay concealed.

www.denverpost.com/news/ci_12692897

Combat Diver

• De Oppresso Liber
  • Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2009, 05:14:00 AM »
I've carried both ways.  Long before Kentucky passed its concealed carry it was open carry since 1812 or so.  I carried just about everywhere legal (Fort Campbell where I worked was a no go).  I did have the Manager of a Wal-Mart in Paducha call the law on me.  Managaer said it was "Illegal to carry".  I responded "No, sir its not" and left.  Outside I was stopped by the local police and issued desolved.  To a crimmal everyone is a potenial targer.  You make yourself less of a target by being aware of your surroundings no matter open or concealed.

Right now since I'm constantly moving and resettled in NC, I haven't had the time to put in for my CCW there.  I did open carry when hunting and never raised an eyebrow when I stopped at the quick mart down the street from the gamelands (course I was wearing cammies and blaze orange vest).  NC allows you to also carry either openly or concealed (without a CCW) while on your own property.  Each state is different and exericse your rights when and how you can.  Always be vigillant (sp) and aware of your surroundings.

CD
Iraq: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09,15 & 16' Afghanistan: 09,10,11,14 & 17'

tombogan03884

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2009, 06:41:50 AM »
I've carried both ways.  Long before Kentucky passed its concealed carry it was open carry since 1812 or so.  I carried just about everywhere legal (Fort Campbell where I worked was a no go).  I did have the Manager of a Wal-Mart in Paducha call the law on me.  Managaer said it was "Illegal to carry".  I responded "No, sir its not" and left.  Outside I was stopped by the local police and issued desolved.  To a crimmal everyone is a potenial targer.  You make yourself less of a target by being aware of your surroundings no matter open or concealed.

Right now since I'm constantly moving and resettled in NC, I haven't had the time to put in for my CCW there.  I did open carry when hunting and never raised an eyebrow when I stopped at the quick mart down the street from the gamelands (course I was wearing cammies and blaze orange vest).  NC allows you to also carry either openly or concealed (without a CCW) while on your own property.  Each state is different and exericse your rights when and how you can.  Always be vigillant (sp) and aware of your surroundings.

CD

In NC be careful about what county you are in, some of the Sheriffs make their own rules. Onslow county for example will lock you up for obeying the law.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk