Author Topic: Gunsite - Letter of good character -- isn't my CHP enough?  (Read 14270 times)

MarinePride

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Gunsite - Letter of good character -- isn't my CHP enough?
« on: October 07, 2007, 03:01:48 PM »
I have really been doing some serious thinking about attending a Basic Defensive Pistol 250 at Gunsite in AZ. I went to their website and looked at their application and was surprised to see that they require a "letter of good character" to attend one of their classes.  I figured that a VA concealed handgun permit issued by the County court and confirmed with the Virginia State Police would suffice, but I guess not.  Just exactly what is a "letter of good character" anyway ::)?  I don't think they would issue me a permit if I was of bad character.......what do you think about this subject?

JohnJacobH

• Top Forum Member
    • JohnJacobH's RKBA Commentary
  • Liked:
Re: Gunsite - Letter of good character -- isn't my CHP enough?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 04:20:47 PM »
I have really been doing some serious thinking about attending a Basic Defensive Pistol 250 at Gunsite in AZ. I went to their website and looked at their application and was surprised to see that they require a "letter of good character" to attend one of their classes.  I figured that a VA concealed handgun permit issued by the County court and confirmed with the Virginia State Police would suffice, but I guess not.  Just exactly what is a "letter of good character" anyway ::)?  I don't think they would issue me a permit if I was of bad character.......what do you think about this subject?

Our local Sheriff gave up his morals requirement when he discovered the folks who came for pistol permits had better backgrounds than the people who vouched for them.

(Think about how hard it is to drag someone down to fill out the paperwork for something  in which you have no real
interest, especially in these touchy times. I knew one gas station owner who got robbed and took one of his employees with
him the next day to pick up some pistol permits. Unbeknownst to him the guy got into brawls back in the days of his yout.
The Sheriff gave the Gas Station owner his permits anyway.)

The premise is both flawed and ridiculous. The stranger of the first part asks a stranger of the second part to vouch for the
stranger of the third part. Yeah, that makes mucho sense.

Do what everyone else does, find a cousin three times removed or an uncle who has an important sounding title (Captain
Howard Wallace Wiggenton III (Ret.). and have him swear on  a stack of Bibles that you were an Eagle Scout since the age of
three and recount the incident when you freely confessed you could not tell a lie, it was you who chopped down the cherry tree.

There will not be a dry eye in the house when they finish that letter. 

(As an aside, this surprises me a little because I bought Colonel Cooper's books from his niece(?) at a NRA convention a few years back and they had no means to take a credit card, I was short on cash and no checks with me, so she just smiled and said send a
check to this address for this amount and everything will be fine. Since I was without credentials and reputation to her I thought this to be an exceedingly generous gesture. You can bet I mailed that check posthaste as soon as I returned home.)

Best regards,

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 04:40:54 PM »
WHAT, you have got to be kidding, show em you DD214 , and then llet them turn you down.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

USSA-1

• Top Forum Member
    • US Shooting Academy
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 01:41:11 PM »
You could come to the USSA instead? ;D

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I agree with 2HOW, show'em your DD214.  You should have no problems.

If that combined with your CCW is not good enough, then I would seriously consider taking my business to another training institution.

Erik
"Occupo Mens"
Win the Fight

Watch The Tactical Rifle Channel

MarinePride

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 06:31:39 PM »
According to their website, www.gunsite.com, a DD214 is acceptable only for active duty military.  I got out after Desert Storm, so I'm back to square one, with regards to the "letter of good character".  In all honesty, if they are going to scrutinize someone who holds a concealed carry permit they are limiting themselves.  Most likely, because of the logistics involved, I'll probably never go to Gunsite, unless I come into a big sum of money to spend ::)

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:53:10 PM »

Bill Stryker

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 08:05:17 PM »
You guys know something I don't? ???
I thought you got a DD214 on leaving the service. I got mine when I retired after 23 + years of commissioned service. ::)
Maybe MB can get someone at Gunsite to weigh in on this. I think my CPL and DD214 should be enough for anyone.
BTW the SIG school is not too bad either. ;)

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 04:07:29 PM »
Personally I wouldnt waste my time or money on Gunsite, get with Gabe Suarez or his crew if you want to train.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

timber

• Forum Member
    • Ravens Keep B & B
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2007, 11:21:29 AM »
Sounds like WHINING!  :'(
pony up or shut up

TB
Paulden, AZ

ratcatcher55

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2007, 07:02:29 PM »
Sorry but I don't have a problem asking for references or running background checks on potiental students.
There was a time when a CCP just meant you were connected politically. not an upright member of society.

I agree its fairly lame but it does discourage some would be trouble makers from getting training they don't need to know, no disrespect to anyone here.

Thunder Ranch, DTI and Suarez don't ask for it. Trident Concepts, Metro Tactics did.

As I recall Gunsite has had its fair share of idiot students of late.

As someone who has to spend their own money and uses up vaction time to go to training classes, please don't argue with instructors at these courses when they tell you how they want to run a drill or tell them that you read in Ninja Magazine that all true operators now carry position Norte. I'm there to learn not listen to debates and your chewing up my very limited training time.

Good luck with what ever you decide. I have learn something useful at every class I attended.

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2007, 07:22:46 PM »
Sorry but I don't have a problem asking for references or running background checks on potiental students.
There was a time when a CCP just meant you were connected politically. not an upright member of society.

I agree its fairly lame but it does discourage some would be trouble makers from getting training they don't need to know, no disrespect to anyone here.

Thunder Ranch, DTI and Suarez don't ask for it. Trident Concepts, Metro Tactics did.

As I recall Gunsite has had its fair share of idiot students of late.

As someone who has to spend their own money and uses up vaction time to go to training classes, please don't argue with instructors at these courses when they tell you how they want to run a drill or tell them that you read in Ninja Magazine that all true operators now carry position Norte. I'm there to learn not listen to debates and your chewing up my very limited training time.

Good luck with what ever you decide. I have learn something useful at every class I attended.

I do have a problem with having to provide extra credentials. If Gunsite is getting idiots, then they need to weed them out, get the word out that you will be bounced from the class and no refunds for any misbehaving. Sign an agreement before hand. That is fine, conduct yourself with respect and a basic amount of decency while taking someone else's class.

As for your absurd comment "but it does discourage some would be trouble makers from getting training they don't need to know", you planning to vote for the Klintoons again? This is called prior restraint, and although our gummint is in love with the concept, it is a profoundly un-American concept. Sort of like the McCain-Feingold 1st amendment supression and incumbent retainment act. You know, we'll tell you in advance what you are allowed to say and when. Besides, Gunsite, like a number of others, has LEO or military only courses already.

If the business chooses to operate in a difficult manner, like demanding letters of recommendation, pints of blood, or your firstborn, so be it. It is their right to do so. But they have to expect some bounce-back from the public for their actions when they do. It is called the open markets.

As for your last comment, as I noted above, right on - we are there to be taught, they to teach. If only some public schools would remind themselves of that and stop letting the kids run the asylum!
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk